HFBoards' 2017 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread II

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Laporte 86, Yeray 357. Amazing. Hopefully Yeray's cancer doesn't show up again and he does only really have last season under his belt, but he was definitely better than Laporte. Looks an excellent pick here right now and could very well look the same in the future. I was likely saving the last pick in the draft for him to further illustrate the point about he and Laporte.

It showed up a few weeks ago and he's having to undergo treatment again. I'd have picked him a long time ago otherwise.

http://www.espnfc.us/athletic-bilba...nder-21-squad-after-testicular-cancer-returns

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
At this stage of the draft, this is good enough for me.

Point is, these drafted teams are pretty much guaranteed to be better than all but 2-3 Italian clubs. I'd rather draft a striker who has the ability to score against good teams but isn't getting the right playing time than one who just racks up goals against inferior opposition.

Reactions: cgf

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Point is, these drafted teams are pretty much guaranteed to be better than all but 2-3 Italian clubs. I'd rather draft a striker who has the ability to score against good teams but isn't getting the right playing time than one who just racks up goals against inferior opposition.

Percentages are still good. Still relied upon in the national team. Puts the round thing in the rectangular team. Etc. I'm okay with it. Don't make me take another striker now :p

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I feel as though La Liga has been somewhat ignored. I'd have to go and compare the picks from the various leagues of course, but seems off the top of my head like a few other leagues have had as many picks.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I feel as though La Liga has been somewhat ignored. I'd have to go and compare the picks from the various leagues of course, but seems off the top of my head like a few other leagues have had as many picks.

Wouldn't be surprised if La Liga & the EPL got hit less than usual in this draft. I felt surprised by how many Serie A players were getting picked; and there was a lot of guys from the BuLi & Ligue 1 to go as well.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not looking for a trade, but in the event someone is interested I have the following available:

Matuidi
Ramsey
Davinson Sanchez
Pastore
Kompany
Correa
Ziyech
Driussi
Sarr
Bentancur
Maia
Allan
Alario

Willing to package up 2-3 for a player and a pick or two.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Down to my last two picks.

Last chance to trade with me. Looking for CB, LM or maybe GK for one of my CM or ST. Can swap picks here too. bring on the offers.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
VEGASKING, while I appreciate the gesture of a drafting a player for me with one of your picks, it's not allowed. Besides, I'm not interested in Lemos. I appreciate the thought though.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Last pick. :( Are we getting judged?

Benzema Lewandowski
D.Silva
Hamsik Marchisio
Busquets
Digne Laporte Glik Coleman
Courtois

Falcao
Memphis-----------Gelson M
Banega Cyprien
Jorginho
Shaw Vallejo Pepe Gaspar
Horn​

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There's a lot of big talents who have not yet been picked; though I'm happy with Kai...anyways, will do a big tactics post sometime this weekend, but here's my depth chart and most common lineups:

FW
Sanchez
Belotti
Werner
Kalinic
Kean
Vinicius Jr.
Havertz

W
Sanchez
Sane
Vinicius Jr.
Havertz
Chiesa

WB
Sane
Florenzi
Chiesa
Sessegnon

MF
Paredes
Kovacec
Zielinski
Diawara
Havertz

CB
Boateng
Christensen
Soyuncu / Musacchio
Soyuncu / Musacchio
Mere

GK
Rulli
Onana

3-4-3
Sanchez - Belotti - Werner
Sane* - Paredes - Kovacec - Florenzi*
Christensen - Boateng - Soyuncu**
Rulli

Kalinic | Kean | Vinicius Jr. | Chiesa* | Sessegnon* | Havertz | Zielinski | Diawara | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

3-3-4
Sanchez* - Belotti* - Werner* - Sane*
Kovacec - Zielinski
Paredes
Rulli

Kalinic* | Kean* | Vinicius Jr.* | Chiesa* | Sessegnon* | Florenzi | Havertz | Diawara | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

3-1-4-2 (defensive)
Sanchez - Belotti/Werner
Sane - Kovacec* - Diawara* - Florenzi
Paredes
Rulli

Belotti/Werner | Kalinic | Kean | Vinicius Jr. | Chiesa | Sessegnon | Havertz | Zielinski* | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

4-3-3
Sanchez - Belotti - Werner
Kovacec - Zielinski
Paredes
Chiesa* - Christensen - Boateng - Florenzi
Rulli

Kalinic | Kean | Sane | Vinicius Jr. | Sessegnon* | Havertz | Diawara | Soyuncu* | Musacchio | Mere* | Onana​

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Last pick. :( Are we getting judged?

Benzema Lewandowski
D.Silva
Hamsik Marchisio
Busquets
Digne Laporte Glik Coleman
Courtois

Falcao
Memphis-----------Gelson M
Banega Cyprien
Jorginho
Shaw Vallejo Pepe Gaspar
Horn​

Just a ridiculous midfield; as even the back up trio would make an effective starting unit. Plus a great FW duo. My only critiques would be not being too high on Silva and the CB duo lacking an elite guy...although I like Glik a lot & Laporte is still a huge talent, while Vallejo could become very good and Pepe is still a good stop gap to keep the starting duo on their toes.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Auba
Insigne-Coutinho-Pedro
Tielemans-Modric
Marcelo-Sule-Gimenez-Cancelo
Rico

Who needs a defensive midfielder? Not this guy. This team was the best possible pressing and speed team I could make, full of one touch players and runners. Auba is at best reasonably technical, but he's a great finisher and all these players behind him should set him up with a massive amount of chances. Insigne, Tielemans, and Coutinho score a lot themselves as well. Team is a little weak defensively right at this moment, but I'm not too worried about that because some positions have to suffer. Still, Sule, Gimenez, and Cancelo have really big potential.

Subs: Areola, Blind, Mustafi, Karsdorp, Milinkovic-Savic, Klaassen, Gotze, Sterling, Vitolo, Kruse, Sandro

My second team is not so easy to describe, because I picked Blind to backup at three positions. Those being DM, CB, and LB. I still like the mix of players here as I went for variety, but I may have picked too many attacking midfielders. I think Gotze is going to get close to back to his best, so I was glad to make that pick. I don't like picking a bunch of young players for my bench because inevitably teams have to rely on those players to play in starting positions, so I tried to vary it up a little bit. Vitolo is one of those underrated players nobody talks about, but you could swap him with Pedro and get very little difference in performance because both are so consistent and reliable.

Milinkovic-Savic is one of those players that will probably explode the next year. It wasn't good that Liverpool got linked to him right at the same time of this draft because I thought it would lead to somebody taking him sooner. He can play well with both feet which is rare for somebody that tall as they're usually very uncoordinated.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Like the Elvedi pick was debating him, Mere & one more kid who hasn't picked yet; and Caricol is a player I was curious about as my LB/LWB prospect when I grabbed Sessegnon.

Auba
Insigne-Coutinho-Pedro
Tielemans-Modric
Marcelo-Sule-Gimenez-Cancelo
Rico

Who needs a defensive midfielder? Not this guy. This team was the best possible pressing and speed team I could make, full of one touch players and runners. Auba is at best reasonably technical, but he's a great finisher and all these players behind him should set him up with a massive amount of chances. Insigne, Tielemans, and Coutinho score a lot themselves as well. Team is a little weak defensively right at this moment, but I'm not too worried about that because some positions have to suffer. Still, Sule, Gimenez, and Cancelo have really big potential.

Subs: Keeper, Blind, Mustafi, Karsdorp, Milinkovic-Savic, Klaassen, Gotze, Sterling, Vitolo, Kruse, Sandro

My second team is not so easy to describe, because I picked Blind to backup at three positions. Those being DM, CB, and LB. I still like the mix of players here as I went for variety, but I may have picked too many attacking midfielders. I think Gotze is going to get close to back to his best, so I was glad to make that pick. I don't like picking a bunch of young players for my bench because inevitably teams have to rely on those players to play in starting positions, so I tried to vary it up a little bit. Vitolo is one of those underrated players nobody talks about, but you could swap him with Pedro and get very little difference in performance because both are so consistent and reliable.

Milinkovic-Savic is one of those players that will probably explode the next year. It wasn't good that Liverpool got linked to him right at the same time of this draft because I thought it would lead to somebody taking him sooner. He can play well with both feet which is rare for somebody that tall as they're usually very uncoordinated.

You know you wanna bring Kruse on for Pedro and play a 4-3-1-2 with:

Kruse - Auba
Insigne
Coutinho - Modric
Tielemans
Marcelo - Sule - Gimenez - Cancelo
Rico​

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California