HFBoards' 2017 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread II

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Other thread reached it's limit.

Cracking the whip to start off this thread. Per the rules the following are now on the following time limit when they are on the clock to pick:

Moncherry - 10 hours

RULES:

-Snake draft. 22 rounds. So you'll have essentially two players per position if you choose. NOTE, you should have a minimum of two goalkeepers.

-We won't be drafting managers. You're the manager, so your formation, tactics, etc.

-No judges as of yet. I'd be open to it to an extent, but it's not necessary. That said I would say that we should focus on a building a team to both be competitive now and in the future. I guess think of it as we're all new franchises. I would consider things like your players fitting your formation/tactics, having a balanced squad, having players who can take freekicks, penalties, corners, etc. You should also identify a captain and a vice-captain.

-Minimum of 2 GKs per team.

-Trades are allowed. One for one trades only though. So a few examples:

---One pick for one pick.
---One pick for one player.
---One player for one player.
---Two picks for one player and one pick.
---One pick and two players for two picks and one player.

Etc, etc. I think that illustrates the point.

ALSO, when you agree to a trade one of you needs to post the deal and the other needs to quote that post and write "Agreed." Until the post is quoted and agreed to the trade has not occurred, but when that happens it's done.

-12 hours between picks. If you miss a pick, 10 hours from then on, 8 hours after a second missed pick. If you miss three picks your place in the draft will be subject to review, IE you may be dropped from the draft. Either way please use another member as a proxy if you can't make a pick and if something comes us just PM me. Also, please try your best to keep the draft moving along as quickly as possible. After you make a pick you'll need to make sure you PM the next guy on the list. If their PM box is full, post in the discussion thread that it's their turn. Also, please make sure you check to see if it's your turn to pick just to be sure.

-NO DISCUSSION, hints or otherwise, about undrafted players please.

-The Picks thread is for PICKS ONLY, while the Discussion thread is for everything else.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Fabregas went really late for someone that incredibly productive

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think it's more that he lost his starting spot and isn't getting any younger. Still a fantastic bench player.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I had a look at Fabregas via YouTube because he either wasn't playing or I didn't notice him in the 5+ Chelsea matches I saw last season and I thought that if you put his "productivity" into context he wasn't nearly as attractive as he initially looks on paper. In fact it looked like the same ole' Cesc if you ask me.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I've considered him for essentially every pick I've had since I finished my XI, and would've probably taken him even before that point if I didn't have Iniesta.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wanted to wait at least one more pick on him, but with the Alex Sandro news floating around and his name coming up I figured hey, hey, hey...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like the Schick pick. If I hadn't nabbed two strikers earlier (and gotten Sanchez who's a shadow striker even from the wing) and was playing just 1 up top, Schick would've been one of the many guys I targeted for my bench/future. Coming off a solid season, he's very skilled & elegant to go with that good size & nose for goal. Really happy to see a forward like this coming out of the czech republic with some of the midfield talent they're starting to assemble and the elegant style of football they promote.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Good pickup.

Thanks. Like what I've seen from him. On paper he may not look that impressive, but I like his explosiveness getting forward. I wanted someone capable of making overlapping runs down the flank and I think he's very capable of that. However it looks as though he's solid defensively too and has a good work rate. What really stuck out for me was that he always looks intense. At the end of the day I think he'd work well with Neymar down that left flank. In fact that's why I was more than happy to pass on how many names and just wait for him later on because I felt he suits what I'm looking for better. I was a bit worried you were going to go for him on top of his name coming up as a potential replace for Alex Sandro at Juventus.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cheers. I have really good depth at striker now with Suarez-Lacazette-Schick.

I really like that. Schick should gel very nicely with either Suarez or Lacazette when he needs to fill in, and I think he can surpass Lacazette down the line, if he continues to make good strides in his development...which he should be able to do on your roster.

Plus it gives you the option to use a fluid front three when chasing a goal that feautures Suarez to the left of Schick & Lacazette to his right; with Mendy & Valencia providing the width around them. Especially in a season or two, when de Ligt has more experience and is forcing his way onto the pitch alongside Pique opening the door for a back 3 with those two & Bailly. Something like:

Suarez-Schick-Lacazette
Mendy - Gundogan - Thiago - Valencia
de Ligt - Pique - Bailly
Handanovic​

With Casemiro an option to add more steel to the midfield, Cesc an option when Ilkay or Thiago is injured, and Coman an option to add more creative very from the wing. Asensio kinda looses a place if he can't fit into the midfield duo, but as a goal chasing lineup I really like the way that group could get the ball into the net...and if one of the forwards was missing you could slip Asensio into a 10 role while pulling the remaining two forwards even closer together.

Not suggesting you make that your primary formation, just killing a little time thinking about the flexibility you've given yourself.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sorry for the 20 mull on my pick. Too many players to consider even if taking Correa here is really easy.

Nothing against WBS at all, but I wouldn't touch Lucas Hernandez with a ten foot pole. Another piece of garbage.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Considered Correa when I took Gameiro, but figured I needed a more polished player, considering the youth of my squad.

Apprehension towards Lucas Hernandez is very legitimate.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Correa is already a bit of a "super sub" for Atleti so that suits me fine. I like his versatility too. The big thing though is that I think he's going to be a top end player for his age group. I'm not talking Messi level here or anything, but if he gets to say di Maria level it'll be huge.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Great value on Correa. His potential is through the roof however very very stupid player. Like I think ADM is a moron but correa is dumber somehow. If he can improve that he should be a solid player.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Moncherry has bowed out. First alternate I had was "bleedblue" something or other, but I can't find his nick and I must have cleared the PMs. Not sure if we want an alternate to take him over at this stage or continue on.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I would drop him out and make all of his players ineligible. Not really fair to throw someone else in right now. And having one less person won't hurt things.

Also it's my pick and I have a lot of trade offers from a lot of time zones. Come get your offers in.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Haha, I knew you'd say that.
Clearly the talent was there, but his performances have been amazing this year where he's infally seen more time, both in L1 and CL.

Tbh I almost picked another RB, more established and probably better now. But Toure's potential was too much to pass at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad