HFBoards' 2017 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread II

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thank you. I wanted to go with tenacity. Costa was the last of the elite strikers that was left. He is aging a bit but I still have time to find a young guy and when's Costa has service he does not miss those chances. This set up is more Costa friendly that what he has at Chelsea currently. Mandzukic I got because I wanted a utility ST/Left sided player to replace Son and those players are getting sucked up fast. I also wanted to get better in the air. Callejon is my speed and workrate guy on the right. And the hits keep on coming. Forsberg lead Europe is assists last year and was one of the best attacking playmakers that were left. He is another one that is a very good formation fit.

Forsberg should certainly continue racking up high assist totals; especially if he ever got to put balls into the box for both Mandzo & Costa to fight for. But I just prefer wingers who are more of a threat to dribble at defenders and force an opening; like Bernardo Silva can on the right. With how strong the rest of your team is he should get plenty of chances to put balls in for Costa/Mandzo; and with Silva drawing attention to his flank, that should open up some good space from which to send in dangerous balls for Forsberg to sneak into.

Costa's still an awesome get, and I love the tenacity of those two; their age was just one of the only things with that squad that I think anyone could really gripe about as your backline & midfield are just spectacular & Silva is a great weapon on the right.

I'd say his team is more balanced now however. Don't see a problem with his lineup if he only plays counter. Not sure his D holds up well letting the opponent have the ball however.

I like Savant team. Think he could go for a better DM. He also has the opportunity to get a more proven RW, but he keeps on declining it :)
Not a fan of Forsberg at LW. Solid player, but in a fantasy draft like this, he's more of a bench player. Carrasco would have been better. Rest I wouldn't touch.

Llorente isn't the best young 6 out there, but I like him as the connector between that backline & Rabiot-Koke. He has the skills and quick instincts to grow into an excellent player in that spot and was one of the kids I was looking at if Diawara didn't make it to my pick, and I couldn't make the Paredes trade work.

Forsberg is one of the weakest points in his team, but you are being a little too harsh as he has a very good eye for feeding the final pass in from his wing, or sending someone in on goal when on the counter. With a midfield so apt at moving the ball forward, and a dynamic dribbler like Bernardo Silva opposite him; he should do a fine job of just finding spaces from which to put those killer balls in...though obviouly, it would've been nicer for Savant if he could've kept Carrasco and put Forsberg in that trade instead.

I'm having a real hard time deciding which one of Strootman, Sanson and Bonaventura to have next to Herrera in my starting XI.

Depends on how you intend to play, but Sanson for me. Having him & Herrera spraying passes forward could be a beauty.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I feel like SEPH's team is one that could be one of the best in like...3-5 years if his players continue to develop well.

Also Strootman next to Herrera makes the most sense to me, he's adept at pretty much everything, has tons of energy and he's the best out of those midfielders (including Herrera, IMO). He's also the only one who's decently tall and could contest aerially.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Your defense/system would get shredded by everyone, and Donnarumma, while a great prospect, is not yet a GK who could come close to making up for that.
You're undervaluing how effective triangles are in football and the intelligence of my players. But you are a Chelsea fan so not surprised.

I will admit my team is one which gets relegated this year, but gets promoted the year after that, and then wins the Champion's League in year three with a strong core which makes a dynasty.

I feel like SEPH's team is one that could be one of the best in like...3-5 years if his players continue to develop well.

That was my intention. Would have grabbed Mbappe or Dybala if they didn't go before.

Ages per player...

Antoine Griezmann: 26
Riyad Mahrez: 26
Isco: 25
David Alaba: 25
Son Heung-Min: 24
Federico Bernardeschi: 23
Hakan Calhanoglu: 23
Eric Dier: 23
Kurt Zouma: 22
Jose Gaya: 22
Mahmoud Dahoud: 21
Dele Alli: 21
Jonathan Tah: 21
Breel Embolo: 20
Issa Diop: 20
Gianluigi Donnarumma: 18

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Seph, if you play a 3-4-3, you need more width in midfield. Here your team is solid centrally, but will get spread out against teams using the wings.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't like Calhanoglu as an 8 at all SEPH. Though he's tenacious enough for it, he's not the most mobile of cats and is better when he can just hang out, spraying passes like he gets to as a 10...although I've long argued he should be tried as a Pirlo-esque 6, which could work nicely behind Alaba & Dahoud at the 8. But if you wanted to use Isco as an 8 you'd need a proper 6 to play behind an Isco-Dahoud double-8. Not sure you can use a back three that has Gaya in it without becoming just way to vulnerable; but I do like Gaya. Feels like your best bet would be a 4-3-1-2 along the lines of:

Griezmann - Alli/Bernadeschi
Isco/Alli
Alaba - Dahoud
Calhanoglu
Gaya - Tah - Zouma - RB
Donnarumma
-------------------------------
Griezmann - Alli - Bernadeschi
Isco - Dahoud
Alaba - Tah - Zouma - RB
Donnarumma​

But if you wanna stick to a back 3, the most interesting iterations I can come up with are:

Griezmann - Alli - Bernadeschi
Alaba/Gaya - Alaba/Isco - Dahoud - RW/RWB
Alaba/Diop - Tah - Zouma
Donnarumma
Griezmann - Alli
Gaya - Alaba/B2Ber - Dahoud - RW/RWB
Calhanoglu
Alaba/Diop - Tah - Zouma
Donnarumma
Griezmann - Alli
Gaya - Alaba/Isco - Dahoud - RW/RWB
Alaba/Diop - Tah - Zouma
Donnarumma​

Though each would require you to add a really good 6 or B2Ber to solidify your squad against the ball; as well as a RWB to give you some width opposite Gaya/Alaba.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Seph, if you play a 3-4-3, you need more width in midfield. Here your team is solid centrally, but will get spread out against teams using the wings.

Exactly. Triangles are great and all, but when your only wing presence is Dele Alli and Bernardeschi, who you specified are instructed to not drop back on defense, you're gonna have a bad time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Forsberg should certainly continue racking up high assist totals; especially if he ever got to put balls into the box for both Mandzo & Costa to fight for. But I just prefer wingers who are more of a threat to dribble at defenders and force an opening; like Bernardo Silva can on the right. With how strong the rest of your team is he should get plenty of chances to put balls in for Costa/Mandzo; and with Silva drawing attention to his flank, that should open up some good space from which to send in dangerous balls for Forsberg to sneak into.

Costa's still an awesome get, and I love the tenacity of those two; their age was just one of the only things with that squad that I think anyone could really gripe about as your backline & midfield are just spectacular & Silva is a great weapon on the right.

Llorente isn't the best young 6 out there, but I like him as the connector between that backline & Rabiot-Koke. He has the skills and quick instincts to grow into an excellent player in that spot and was one of the kids I was looking at if Diawara didn't make it to my pick, and I couldn't make the Paredes trade work.

Forsberg is one of the weakest points in his team, but you are being a little too harsh as he has a very good eye for feeding the final pass in from his wing, or sending someone in on goal when on the counter. With a midfield so apt at moving the ball forward, and a dynamic dribbler like Bernardo Silva opposite him; he should do a fine job of just finding spaces from which to put those killer balls in...

Well I don't need to write a tactics post now. Thanks.

Carrasco is more traditional winger than Forsberg but you understand the shape I am going for. I wouldn't say Forsberg is a weakness at all. He was one of the best players in the Bundesliga. Carrasco had more interest in general, and I really have now complaints about the return that I got. Also as I said I can play 433 with Callejon in and Forsberg on the bench. We've got options.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You're undervaluing how effective triangles are in football and the intelligence of my players. But you are a Chelsea fan so not surprised.

I will admit my team is one which gets relegated this year, but gets promoted the year after that, and then wins the Champion's League in year three with a strong core which makes a dynasty.

That was my intention. Would have grabbed Mbappe or Dybala if they didn't go before.

Ages per player...

Antoine Griezmann: 26
Riyad Mahrez: 26
Isco: 25
David Alaba: 25
Son Heung-Min: 24

Federico Bernardeschi: 23
Hakan Calhanoglu: 23
Eric Dier: 23
Kurt Zouma: 22
Jose Gaya: 22
Mahmoud Dahoud: 21
Dele Alli: 21
Jonathan Tah: 21
Breel Embolo: 20
Issa Diop: 20
Gianluigi Donnarumma: 18

Bro...please:

Boateng, 28
Sanchez, 28
Florenzi, 26
Musacchio, 26

Belotti, 23
Kovacic, 23
Fekir, 23
Zielinski, 23
Paredes, 22
Sane, 21
Werner, 21
Christensen, 21
Soyuncu, 21
Diawara, 19
Chiesa, 19

Beat this U23 squad:
Sane* - Werner* - Belotti*- Chiesa*
Kovacic - Zielinski/Diawara
Paredes
Soyuncu - Diawara/CB - Christensen
GK

*Fekir

:sarcasm:

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Unfortunately for you two this isn't limited to u23's.

I was wondering if there was interest in doing an under whatever draft. There would have to be less teams but I thought it'd be fun.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
FWIW Carrasco is available if anyone is interested.

I was wondering if there was interest in doing an under whatever draft. There would have to be less teams but I thought it'd be fun.

This is a neat idea. It'd have to be something that would be judged later on though. I'm always down for drafts.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
As someone who only got invested in the sport this year, I'm still confused about the position numbers. (I've tried searching it but it's still a bit perplexing)

Cheers

Thank you Savant.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
As someone who only got invested in the sport this year, I'm still confused about the position numbers. (I've tried searching it but it's still a bit perplexing)

Cheers

9 is a striker. 10 is a center playmaker. 2 is RB. 3 is LB. 6 is usually defensive midfielder and the rest is up for interpretation.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
9 is a striker. 10 is a center playmaker. 2 is RB. 3 is LB. 6 is usually defensive midfielder and the rest is up for interpretation.

Not so sure about that.

6-8-9-10 are the positions you need to know when it comes to numbers.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
6-8-9-10 are the positions you need to know when it comes to numbers.

Basically.

6 is a holding midfielder who sits in front of the back line

8 is either a box to boxer (like Vidal), a more advanced static passer (like Xavi), or anywhere in between (like Modric).

10 is your most advanced midfielder who sits in the hole behind the forwards

And 9 is your most advanced forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

True; but u23 talent is kind of important when we're starting franchises from scratch. Winning is important to, but it helps build a fan base when you can offer them an exciting young team on the rise that people can fall in love with while watching grow up. It's basically how RB won over all of Leipzig, much of the east, despite everything they had going against them as a corporate club with no history.

Plus it's not like my team needs a few years of development time before successfully playing attractive football:

3-4-3

Sanchez - Belotti - Werner

Sane - Paredes - Kovacec - Florenzi*

Christensen - Boateng - Musacchio**

Bench:
Fekir | Chiesa* | Zielinski | Diawara | Soyuncu**

3-3-4/3-1-4-2
Sanchez* - Belotti* - Werner* - Sane*
Kovacec - Zielinski
Paredes

Bench:
Fekir* | Chiesa* | Florenzi | Diawara | Soyuncu**

3-1-4-2 (defensive)
Sanchez - Werner/Belotti
Sane - Zielinski* - Diawara - Florenzi
Paredes

Bench:
Werner/Belotti | Fekir | Chiesa | Kovacec* | Soyuncu**​

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would have taken Gueye if I didn't trade down. Sneaky good pick.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
:laugh: When I went to bed last night I meant to see if Vinicus or Harit had been taken by the time it got back to my pick; then I woke up and completely forgot about that plan...

Oh well; good thing Kluivert is a sexy af prospect in his own right.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad