HFBoards' 2017 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread II

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Thought about Toure when I picked Coleman. Probably should've gone for it.

Had Dalbert and Conti down as potential backups but with more teams this year there was always a chance of them going.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Dernerner, happy to announce another trade (so much for not trading)!

Savant receives: Romagnoli, Koke, Rabiot, 358 and 363

Curtinho receives: Carrasco, Firmino, Henderson, 271 and 280

Glad we could finally come to an agreement for these fellas. My team just got so much more Alpha.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Savant FC 4141

Diego Costa
Forsberg Rabiot Koke Bernardo
Llorente
Filipe Hummels T. Silva Aurier
Ederson

Bench: Callejon, Mandzukic, Romagnoli

and now I don't have to worry about picking while I am at my sister in law's wedding. Mrs. Savant will be happy about that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mertens
Carrasco - Firmino - Robben
Kante - Henderson
Emerson - Koulibaly - Martinez - Meunier
de Gea

Dzeko, Ceballos, Kondogbia, de Vrij​

Alright, finally finished tweaking. Beyond happy with the type of team this can be; will absolutely bury teams in transition. The energy in that midfield though...great 'plan B' with Dzeko on the bench and Ceballos with Kondogbia represent great depth for the midfield/am spot with de Vrij who could start for most teams as depth for the defence. Still need to get someone to fill in for Mertens/Robben as they're not getting any younger but both in their primes right now and I expect Robben to have a couple more top years in him since I know he wants to be in the best shape for this coming season with potentially his last world cup coming up.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Savant FC 4141

Diego Costa
Forsberg Rabiot Koke Bernardo
Llorente
Filipe Hummels T. Silva Aurier
Ederson

Bench: Callejon, Mandzukic, Romagnoli

and now I don't have to worry about picking while I am at my sister in law's wedding. Mrs. Savant will be happy about that.

I really like that lineup. Excellent back 4, high class midfield trio, Bernardo's dynamite, Forsberg is solid & both Costa & Mandzukic are tenacious...though long in the tooth. I feel like you could do better than Forsberg and age will be a factor for both your strikers soon; but damn does that team look good.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I really like that lineup. Excellent back 4, high class midfield trio, Bernardo's dynamite, Forsberg is solid & both Costa & Mandzukic are tenacious...though long in the tooth. I feel like you could do better than Forsberg and age will be a factor for both your strikers soon; but damn does that team look good.

Thank you. I wanted to go with tenacity. Costa was the last of the elite strikers that was left. He is aging a bit but I still have time to find a young guy and when's Costa has service he does not miss those chances. This set up is more Costa friendly that what he has at Chelsea currently. Mandzukic I got because I wanted a utility ST/Left sided player to replace Son and those players are getting sucked up fast. I also wanted to get better in the air. Callejon is my speed and workrate guy on the right. And the hits keep on coming. Forsberg lead Europe is assists last year and was one of the best attacking playmakers that were left. He is another one that is a very good formation fit.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Eh, Diego Costa is 28 and in his prime. Age is definitely a factor for Mandzukic, but you'd get more than a couple good years of Costa.

Very fond of your lineup, Sav. Great work.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Haha, I knew you'd say that.
Clearly the talent was there, but his performances have been amazing this year where he's infally seen more time, both in L1 and CL.

Tbh I almost picked another RB, more established and probably better now. But Toure's potential was too much to pass at this point.

Well I was considering him down the road but I figured he wouldn't be there. I thought Monaco might cash in on Sidibe this Summer and give him the reins.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't want to say it, but I guess I will. Curt took a great team he picked and absolutely demolished it with awful trades.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Eh, Diego Costa is 28 and in his prime. Age is definitely a factor for Mandzukic, but you'd get more than a couple good years of Costa.

Very fond of your lineup, Sav. Great work.

I can manage Mandzukic's minutes though. Don't need to rely on him. Impact sub at a couple positions and I wanted to keep aggressive mentality in the team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I didn't want to say it, but I guess I will. Curt took a great team he picked and absolutely demolished it with awful trades.
I'd say his team is more balanced now however. Don't see a problem with his lineup if he only plays counter. Not sure his D holds up well letting the opponent have the ball however.

I like Savant team. Think he could go for a better DM. He also has the opportunity to get a more proven RW, but he keeps on declining it :)
Not a fan of Forsberg at LW. Solid player, but in a fantasy draft like this, he's more of a bench player. Carrasco would have been better. Rest I wouldn't touch.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'd say his team is more balanced now however. Don't see a problem with his lineup if he only plays counter. Not sure his D holds up well letting the opponent have the ball however.

I like Savant team. Think he could go for a better DM. He also has the opportunity to get a more proven RW, but he keeps on declining it :)
Not a fan of Forsberg at LW. Solid player, but in a fantasy draft like this, he's more of a bench player. Carrasco would have been better. Rest I wouldn't touch.

Still time to upgrade :)

Formation change hurt Forsberg a bit but he can still make plays from that position. I don't view him as a problem. I can also go 433 with Bernando and Callejon.

Llorente is a very good holding player. People don't know about him yet but he has the pedrigree and his season at Alaves on loan was outstanding. Statistically he stands up to anyone.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm having a real hard time deciding which one of Strootman, Sanson and Bonaventura to have next to Herrera in my starting XI.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm having a real hard time deciding which one of Strootman, Sanson and Bonaventura to have next to Herrera in my starting XI.

I may be able to give Strootman or Sanson a home

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

To each their own. This team functions a lot better together, has high end players at every position relative to the field and depth on the bench.

A midfield trio of Henderson/Kante/Firmino vs Koke/Rabiot/Kante? Or Bakayoko/Koke/Martinez? That makes my CB line weaker, nobody has a team that's going to make it more difficult for a team to build up though passing. Klopp's teams have shown the kind of issues a team set up to press and run like mine is and hit in transition gives to actual top teams that don't look to lump it up the field, defend in a deep block and hit on the counter. Dzeko is there on the bench to bring on against teams that do try to play defensively, but given this draft I don't see an issue there.

As you can see here attempting to play through a midfield of Henderson/Kante is going to cause major issues, especially with Koulibaly/Martinez ready to step up and break up play that somehow manages to leak through. Firmino has exceptional work-rate and off the ball movement on top of having created the most chances in the PL from open play outside of Sanchez this past season iirc, and with Carrasco, Mertens and Robben moving around him there'll be much better options for his exceptional abilities in the final third.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean Kante and Henderson can cover the whole midfield themselves. You should play 424

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean Kante and Henderson can cover the whole midfield themselves. You should play 424

Well Firmino's work-rate, pressing and tracking in coordination with Henderson/Kante will force many cul-de-sacs for guys like Emerson, Meunier and the wingers to take advantage of. It'll be a very difficult team to pass through or have any time on the ball against -- and their ability to transition into attack after winning the ball is nearly unmatched with everyone comfortable playing the ball out quickly. It's like a better version of Klopp's Dortmund, IMO.

It also leaves the option to have Javi Martinez step up as the holder behind Henderson/Kante as B2B guys playing behind some combination of Carrasco/Firmino/Mertens/Robben/Dzeko.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Kanté and Henderson better cover because Meunier and Robben on the right side will crumble at every attack ;)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Two players that cover the most ground in the PL IIRC. Plus, that's also why I have Martinez on that side.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
logo-1-1.png

2yyeftk.jpg

http://lineupbuilder.com/new.php?sk=ty3ny1

Bench
Breel Embolo
Son Heung-Min
Riyad Mahrez
Eric Dier
Issa Diop

So some tactical data here, I play a 3(1)-2(3)-1 or 3(1)-5-1, whatever floats your boat. My tactics demand a lot of effort and a lot tracking back so it is definitely a high octane style of play I conduct. I only have three defenders, but Alaba joins as the LCB when defending making it into a proper four line back unit. When Alaba goes to his centre back position, I have Dahoud fill in for his CDM responsibilities and shelter the the defenders. Now going forward, I have Calhanoglu join the rush and it becomes a 3-2-4-1 with two CAM's (Calhanoglu and Isco) respectively. When Hakan joins the rush, I have once again Dahoud filling in that spot if the ball is coming down my left flank. I want Alli and Bernardeschi to focus on offence, as good offence means you don't have to defend, which I admit my team wouldn't be very good at. So I am taking a page out of the Dallas Stars book and hoping we do not need to defend constantly. I give Isco the full reigns on being as free as possible, but to also understand the situation at times. Alli is one player I give more freedom on the pitch and let him cut inside helping Greizmann at times. Because of that, I love Gaya's intelligence and speed on the flanks so I have him stay up on the pitch more than anyone else to cover more for Alli. I got a nice blend of speed, physicality, and of course intelligence to go in my formation which is made abundantly with triangle positions for ball possession and build up play. Sorry guys, I smoke you lads.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Your defense/system would get shredded by everyone, and Donnarumma, while a great prospect, is not yet a GK who could come close to making up for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad