OT: HF Shinny (II) - Game 4 - TBA

ataraxia

Mar 15, 2012
Tempo felt pretty decent this time too. Thanks again for organizing it and hope we can do it again.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Aaaaand bump.

I'll be down for a week in October; likely from the 10th to the 17th or so. I'll try and organize something in that timeframe. We should bump the Shinny Thread.

I just want another hf Canucks hockey lol... Make it happen people!!

Did a quick search and you could get a fine trophy for $20-40 and players awards for $10 or less.

Including rink rentals, $25 per person should cover it, but the "ModFather" would know better.

This probably makes a lot more sense, as a best of 7 series spanning weeks/months is more likely to get dropped midway through.

I like it.

Mini-tourney? Depending on how many players show up, we could do a 3-on-3 tourney much like the one at the prospects camp. That would be cool.

3 teams
- 3-4 players per = 9-12 total + 2 goalies
- 3 round-robin games
- 1st place goes straight to Final, 2nd and 3rd play tie-breaker
- 5 games total, 12 mins each = 60 minutes

4 teams
- 3-4 players per = 12-15 total + 2 goalies
- 6 round-robin games
- 1st vs 4th, 2nd vs 3rd to Final
- 9 games total, 8 mins each = 72 minutes (that will be tight)

Participation ribbons :laugh:

I'd love to play but I suck at ice hockey.

In addition to chipping in for ice time, I'm wondering if people would be interested in chipping in for a trophy, or trophies so everyone can have one?

We could start a HF Canucks Best of 7 series perhaps?

Let's not make it 3 or else we'll have another goalie controversy forcing us to make a questionable trade. :sarcasm:

How about we get Brendan Burke to call the game on the podcast? :naughty:

Well we have 2 goalies set (usually the hardest position to find, lol). No excuses. This is happening!

We could even tie this in to Luc's podcast somehow?

Count me in as the other goalie when it does happen!

Re: Cancun - I'm actually going to the Mayan Riviera with the lady in a month. I've been there before. Find an all-inclusive hotel by the beach and you're close to everything you need. Water, sand, activities, food, etc. Good times. Plus you have the calmer waters to swim in on the East Coast compared to the rougher waters of the Pacific in the West such as Cabo.

We considered doing a week-long cruise around the Bahamas and do some island-hopping, but it was a bit too out of the price-range. I've done it before though and I would say that's also a fun experience. You spend most days at different islands getting to see the different cultures and landscape. Leave the boat first thing in the morning and go find the best local watering hole. Can't really go wrong either way though in my opinion.

My MCL should be ok by then!

I happen to like ice... And being on it.... IM IN!

:laugh:

Yeah let's set something up for October. I'm itching to get back on the ice.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I like Ski Powder's proposal.

Mini-tourney? Depending on how many players show up, we could do a 3-on-3 tourney much like the one at the prospects camp. That would be cool.

3 teams
- 3-4 players per = 9-12 total + 2 goalies
- 3 round-robin games
- 1st place goes straight to Final, 2nd and 3rd play tie-breaker
- 5 games total, 12 mins each = 60 minutes

4 teams
- 3-4 players per = 12-15 total + 2 goalies
- 6 round-robin games
- 1st vs 4th, 2nd vs 3rd to Final
- 9 games total, 8 mins each = 72 minutes (that will be tight)

Assuming an ice cost of the most expensive one listed right now ($248), and we get 15 players plus 2 goalies, a $40 Championship trophy and $10 player trophies, I get a cost of about $27 per player if we get 17 people all-in.

I could front for the arena rental as I have in the past, if someone else would like to handle trophy stuff. I think a 3-on-3 mini tourney is a great idea. We could even have a draft! :D

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I like Ski Powder's proposal.

Assuming an ice cost of the most expensive one listed right now ($248), and we get 15 players plus 2 goalies, a $40 Championship trophy and $10 player trophies, I get a cost of about $27 per player if we get 17 people all-in.

I could front for the arena rental as I have in the past, if someone else would like to handle trophy stuff. I think a 3-on-3 mini tourney is a great idea. We could even have a draft! :D

Thanks for the feedback and for scheduling the rink. A draft would be hilarious. I can see it now... everyone posting their position, height, weight, skill level, and style of play (if you have one). Get 3-4 captains, etc. See who busts and who was a great late pick - like our own NHL! :nod:

I don't mind handling the trophy stuff if we want to do it. Just need to agree on what trophies and/or ribbons we want and I can source it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Thanks for the feedback and for scheduling the rink. A draft would be hilarious. I can see it now... everyone posting their position, height, weight, skill level, and style of play (if you have one). Get 3-4 captains, etc. See who busts and who was a great late pick - like our own NHL! :nod:

I don't mind handling the trophy stuff if we want to do it. Just need to agree on what trophies and/or ribbons we want and I can source it.

I love this drafting idea. Oh man this is going to be good!

And I'm definitely OK with the cost. Do you have any proofs of the trophies that we can vote on?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The busts and steals of the draft would be hilarious. :laugh: I'm liking this more and more.

We won't be able to see the October ice schedule for about a month, month and a half, but we could tentatively set a date in there and then see what's available when they release it. I'll be free pretty much all week that week, so I'm easy for time of day/day of the week/weekend, etc. I'm guessing a weekend would be best for most, though.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I love this drafting idea. Oh man this is going to be good!

And I'm definitely OK with the cost. Do you have any proofs of the trophies that we can vote on?

I found two main sites. I linked it to their Hockey Cup Trophies page, but you can also make your way to the Hockey Medals page for individual awards.

Crown Awards

and

Trophy Depot

If there's someone here who's swimming in dough with nowhere to spend it, we can get a replica Stanley Cup for $300. :laugh: Maybe we can have a browse through, choose our top 3 or so and then take a quick vote?

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
The busts and steals of the draft would be hilarious. :laugh: I'm liking this more and more.

We won't be able to see the October ice schedule for about a month, month and a half, but we could tentatively set a date in there and then see what's available when they release it. I'll be free pretty much all week that week, so I'm easy for time of day/day of the week/weekend, etc. I'm guessing a weekend would be best for most, though.

If someone wants to come and hang out but doesn't want to or can't play, maybe they can be the scorekeeper and keep track of goals and assists. We could then post everybody's total post-game and their draft order for laughs.

If we can get 4 teams to commit, then mossey and I could even get involved in the draft, with each of us able to be picked twice. Then if two teams that picked the same guy face each other, the team that pick him first gets his man. I'm just filled with ideas the more I think about it...

Weekends would be best for me, but if mid-week is needed, Mon. Tue. and Fri. evenings would be preferable. But if we go this far with our ideas, I'll take the day off work or skip class if need be. :yo:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If someone wants to come and hang out but doesn't want to or can't play, maybe they can be the scorekeeper and keep track of goals and assists. We could then post everybody's total post-game and their draft order for laughs.

If we can get 4 teams to commit, then mossey and I could even get involved in the draft, with each of us able to be picked twice. Then if two teams that picked the same guy face each other, the team that pick him first gets his man. I'm just filled with ideas the more I think about it...

Weekends would be best for me, but if mid-week is needed, Mon. Tue. and Fri. evenings would be preferable. But if we go this far with our ideas, I'll take the day off work or skip class if need be. :yo:

I like the stat tracking idea. :D All of us HF Stat hounds would get a kick out of it, methinks.

ataraxia

Mar 15, 2012
If I'm in town (and I usually am), I'm always game to represent the lurker contingent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad