OT: HF Shinny (II) - Game 4 - TBA

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I am 20 but I was absolutely gassed after the second game. Then again, I'm in horrible shape and drink like my life depends on it. Nothing about it falls on my effortful skating.

Good thing I'm joining a hockey league full time? I'll play come hell or high water.

You are? When/where?

Honestly a league is one of the worst things a player who wants to really improve can do IMO.

Also it costs a lot of money ... and I only have to pay half the fee usually.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
You are? When/where?

Honestly a league is one of the worst things a player who wants to really improve can do IMO.

Also it costs a lot of money ... and I only have to pay half the fee usually.

Richmond. Don't know when.

Is it? I'd think it depends on the player. I'm a somewhat natural athlete so I don't think it would be that detrimental for me. The biggest problem with my game right now would be skating. Everything else is...OK. Oh and it's non-contact so it's not like I'd be roadkill out there.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Richmond. Don't know when.

Is it? I'd think it depends on the player. I'm a somewhat natural athlete so I don't think it would be that detrimental for me. The biggest problem with my game right now would be skating. Everything else is...OK. Oh and it's non-contact so it's not like I'd be roadkill out there.

Playing in a league for development kind of depends on the league and, more importantly, IMO, the team. If you've got some helpful veterans who will give you advice, tips, that sort of thing, and who will also be generous in terms of ice-time and giving you the puck, it can be constructive. But those teams aren't always easy to find.

It will definitely help you with respect to playing in game, positioning, checking, and that sort of thing. As far as individual puck skill, skating, etc., go, you'd be well served with some stick and puck (and some HF Shinny, of course). :D

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I have played hockey most my life, but was a goalie until adulthood. I found I made the biggest improvements when I played on multiple teams, but here was the key, one low level, one higher. You can be more of a focal point, and let the game come to you in the lower level, see things happening and learn to anticipate. At the higher level you push your skill level against the high comp.

But that may just be me, and the fact I have been around the game for a long time.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Any more maybes able to commit?

Mr. C + 1
Reverend Mayhem
Linden (maybe)
kaje320 (maybe)
TL16 (maybe)

Strictly Commercial
y2kcanucks (maybe)
racerjoe
Yammer
WonderTwinsUnite
billvanseattle
RandV
TheStig
(G) mossey3535
(G) Mclean1

14 skaters total, if everyone is able to come; that's good for five-aside with 2 subs for each group. Make sure you bring a dark and a light jersey!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Playing in a league for development kind of depends on the league and, more importantly, IMO, the team. If you've got some helpful veterans who will give you advice, tips, that sort of thing, and who will also be generous in terms of ice-time and giving you the puck, it can be constructive. But those teams aren't always easy to find.

It will definitely help you with respect to playing in game, positioning, checking, and that sort of thing. As far as individual puck skill, skating, etc., go, you'd be well served with some stick and puck (and some HF Shinny, of course). :D

I think that skating is the biggest thing in hockey. If you can skate you can get away with some poor puck skills.

In terms of puck skills, I think it's all about touches. Carrying the puck, passing and receiving passes. And you just can't get touches in a league game. They timed Sakic's time with the puck and found he only spent ONE MINUTE with the puck in an Olympic hockey game.

The best thing to do is find a beginner friendly regular shinny game, and not be afraid to carry the puck as much as possible. Hog the puck. The way hockey is someone will always be coming after you in under 30 seconds. But that extra 10 seconds or three strides you take when you have the puck on your stick is really important.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Any more maybes able to commit?

Mr. C + 1
Reverend Mayhem
Linden (maybe)
kaje320 (maybe)
TL16 (maybe)

Strictly Commercial
y2kcanucks (maybe)
racerjoe
Yammer
WonderTwinsUnite
billvanseattle
RandV
TheStig
(G) mossey3535
(G) Mclean1

14 skaters total, if everyone is able to come; that's good for five-aside with 2 subs for each group. Make sure you bring a dark and a light jersey!

I can easily recruit guys from hockey community with only 1-2 days notice. So how many people would make it financially comfortable for you?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I can easily recruit guys from hockey community with only 1-2 days notice. So how many people would make it financially comfortable for you?

Anything over 13 skaters (goalies' included in that) is gravy. My total cost was $220. So we're pretty good at this point, barring cancellations.

Any extra funds left over at the end can go towards some appies and drinks upstairs. :D

ataraxia

Mar 15, 2012
Anything over 13 skaters (goalies' included in that) is gravy. My total cost was $220. So we're pretty good at this point, barring cancellations.

Any extra funds left over at the end can go towards some appies and drinks upstairs. :D

I've been keeping quiet since I thought I'd be out of town, but turns out I'm not so you can count me as a fairly solid "yes".

Those videos from the first game remain the only time I've ever seen myself play.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I've been keeping quiet since I thought I'd be out of town, but turns out I'm not so you can count me as a fairly solid "yes".

Those videos from the first game remain the only time I've ever seen myself play.

Awesome - see you there!

And yeah, that and a video of me playing minor hockey at the age of 11 are all I've got. :laugh:

Mr. C + 1
Reverend Mayhem
Linden (maybe)
kaje320 (maybe)
TL16 (maybe)
Strictly Commercial
y2kcanucks (maybe)
racerjoe
Yammer
WonderTwinsUnite
billvanseattle
RandV
TheStig
ataraxia
(G) mossey3535
(G) Mclean1

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm sorry boys, I can't make it.

tumblr_lg2a918Dlp1qzasal.gif

:sarcasm:

(It's all good, thanks for letting us know!)

Any of the other three maybes able to update?

Mr. C + 1
Reverend Mayhem
kaje320 (maybe)
TL16 (maybe)

Strictly Commercial
y2kcanucks (maybe)
racerjoe
Yammer
WonderTwinsUnite
billvanseattle
RandV
TheStig
ataraxia
(G) mossey3535
(G) Mclean1

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Wait...does this mean I have to pay? That's weird. :P

kaje320

May 24, 2007
will there be a 5 minute skating lesson before the game? lol. i can make it. just hope my glasses don't break.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
will there be a 5 minute skating lesson before the game? lol. i can make it. just hope my glasses don't break.

We have to warm up the goalies somehow. :sarcasm:

Glad you can make it!

Mr. C + 1
Reverend Mayhem
kaje320
TL16 (maybe)
Strictly Commercial
y2kcanucks (maybe)
racerjoe
Yammer
WonderTwinsUnite
billvanseattle
RandV
TheStig
ataraxia
(G) mossey3535
(G) Mclean1

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Thanks for letting know!

Mr. C + 1
Reverend Mayhem
kaje320
Strictly Commercial
y2kcanucks (maybe)
racerjoe
Yammer
WonderTwinsUnite
billvanseattle
RandV
TheStig
ataraxia
(G) mossey3535
(G) Mclean1

Even we can rustle up one more skater (and y2k confirms), we will have two subs per side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad