HF ranks teams by their Top 6 forwards - #2

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
how is edmonton getting votes lol?

Mcdavid is the 2nd best in the world. Draisaitl is one of the top young players in the league. but then you have Lucic 50pts, RNH 43 pts, Maroon 42 pts (riding shotgun to connor) and Puljujarvi (did nothing in the NHL)

only 3 of those guys are even top 6 players, 4 if you think RNH can bounce back

Because like you said, you have the best offensive player in the league, a guy who will likely be PPG, a 27G scorer in Maroon, quality banger like Lucic, RNH who still had 40+pts in a down season, and the best prospect in hockey IMO.

Last season the Edmonton top 6 had a combined 363 points (if you assume one of Poolparty/Strome can get 50pts like Eberle) and 147 goals

Toronto top 6 had combined 360pts and 169 goals.

Not a huge difference, So it really depends how you see each young team improving going forward. I personally don't see Marleau or Kadri repeating those numbers and there's no one really on Edmonton that I see a reduction in points from.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Can someone explain to me how the Jets have the 2nd best top 6 in the NHL, 3 #1 D, and the top prospect pool before last season and STILL haven't won a playoff game, nevermind even getting there anytime recently?
this has nothing to do with anything. The stats posted show they have a very reasonable claim to 2nd best top 6 in the league

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016
Can someone explain to me how the Jets have the 2nd best top 6 in the NHL, 3 #1 D, and the top prospect pool before last season and STILL haven't won a playoff game, nevermind even getting there anytime recently?

:laugh:. Self confidence issues regarding your team is glaring through.

You're the only one who thinks the Jets have 3 #1D. Also the Jets lack of success has nothing to do with their top 6 scoring, or their prospects. This has all been explained to you directly ad nauseam

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Because like you said, you have the best offensive player in the league, a guy who will likely be PPG, a 27G scorer in Maroon, quality banger like Lucic, RNH who still had 40+pts in a down season, and the best prospect in hockey IMO.

Last season the Edmonton top 6 had a combined 363 points (if you assume one of Poolparty/Strome can get 50pts like Eberle) and 147 goals

Toronto top 6 had combined 360pts and 169 goals.

Not a huge difference, So it really depends how you see each young team improving going forward. I personally don't see Marleau or Kadri repeating those numbers and there's no one really on Edmonton that I see a reduction in points from.

There's no doubt that the first line of McD, Drai, and Maroon is as good as you're going to find in the league. But the second line is a "banger", a guy fresh off a 40 point season, and a prospect. That is not anywhere near as good as what the Leafs or the Jets are rolling out on their second lines.

I threw out a homer vote for the Leafs, but agree that the Jets top6 is very very good. Wheeler in particular is much better than JVR or Marleau. Perreault is clearly the weakest though.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
There's no doubt that the first line of McD, Drai, and Maroon is as good as you're going to find in the league. But the second line is a "banger", a guy fresh off a 40 point season, and a prospect. That is not anywhere near as good as what the Leafs or the Jets are rolling out on their second lines.

I threw out a homer vote for the Leafs, but agree that the Jets top6 is very very good. Wheeler in particular is much better than JVR or Marleau. Perreault is clearly the weakest though.

Funny how you word things.

"A Banger" - Best physical top 6 forward in the NHL.

"A guy Fresh off a 40 pt season" - His career PPG pace would have him averaging 55 points a year in full 82 game seasons. He's more likely to return to that level this year than be 42 pts again.

"A prospect" - Oh, you mean like what Nylander, Matthews and Marner were just a year ago? :laugh:

Funny how biased perspective can been played ;)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
:laugh:. Self confidence issues regarding your team is glaring through.

You're the only one who thinks the Jets have 3 #1D. Also the Jets lack of success has nothing to do with their top 6 scoring, or their prospects. This has all been explained to you directly ad nauseam

No I am not. I've had several arguments with Jets fans over the summer.

Trouba is said to be a #1 D
Buff is a #1 D
and Myers when healthy is a "1B".

Then you have fans in this thread claiming their top 6 is better than Toronto's.. Why the hell is a team, that is clearly Olympic level, and with the brightest future and best prospect pool, always so mediocre?

It's because their roster is heavily over rated.

Last edited by a moderator:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Funny how you word things.

"A Banger" - Best physical top 6 forward in the NHL.

"A guy Fresh off a 40 pt season" - His career PPG pace would have him averaging 55 points a year in full 82 game seasons. He's more likely to return to that level this year than be 42 pts again.

"A prospect" - Oh, you mean like what Nylander, Matthews and Marner were just a year ago? :laugh:

Funny how biased perspective can been played ;)

how is Lucic better than Jamie Benn or Ovechkin?
Also no, he's not more likely to return to peak form. He's simply not being used in the same offensive role anymore
Puljujarvi is also not even close to the same level as prospect as Matthews or Nylander or Marner

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is probably the twentieth time a poster has made that "funny joke" this offseason

None of them play goalie :help:

TB didn't make the playoffs either. I wonder what was wrong with TB and the Jets last year? Oh, wait a minute, they led the NHL in significant injuries. The Jets also had their #1 D hold out for 1/4 of the season.

...also goaltending.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

2nd in NHL in significant injuries. #1 D held out for 1/4 of the season. Poor goaltending.

See, that wasn't so hard to figure out, was it?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No I am not. I've had several arguments with Jets fans over the summer.

Trouba is said to be a #1 D
Buff is a #1 D
and Myers when healthy is a "1B".

Then you have fans in this thread claiming their top 6 is better than Toronto's.. Why the hell is a team, that is clearly Olympic level, and with the brightest future and best prospect pool, always so mediocre?

It's because their roster is heavily over rated.

You need to give your head a shake...

The Jets just assembled their top-6 core last season (like the Leafs, who were dead last in the NHL the year before).

I think you are going to find out how wrong you are about the Jets roster this season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
2nd in NHL in significant injuries. #1 D held out for 1/4 of the season. Poor goaltending.

See, that wasn't so hard to figure out, was it?

Man, does it feel good to support a team that actively attracts haters. Not everyone has that privilege.

As an addition to the facts you provided, I would like to post a list of HFBoards members, HFJets included, who agree with this particular poster on the matter.

You are very welcome.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I feel like a total homer voting for the Leafs, but looking at that top 6 I think it's actually justified here! That is a crazy good top 6. Pretty tough to choose between TOR and WPG on this one, but like I said....homer vote breaks the tie :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Man, does it feel good to support a team that actively attracts haters. Not everyone has that privilege.

As an addition to the facts you provided, I would like to post a list of HFBoards members, HFJets included, who agree with this particular poster on the matter.

You are very welcome.

:laugh:

I'm still trying to figure out how a team like the Leafs with the NHL's 2nd best forwards, a solid D, a top-notch #1 goalie, the best coach and GM and no injuries only managed the same number of wins and 8 more points than a mediocre, overrated team like the Jets, who had league-bottom goaltending and the most significant man-games lost in the NHL.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Show me a Jets fan who thinks we have 3 #1D. We have 1, and a guy who offensively is one but defensively is nowhere near a #1.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I feel like a total homer voting for the Leafs, but looking at that top 6 I think it's actually justified here! That is a crazy good top 6. Pretty tough to choose between TOR and WPG on this one, but like I said....homer vote breaks the tie :)

It's not a homer vote at all, you can easily make an argument the Leafs should be #2, 3 of their best players are 21 and under.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Also no, he's not more likely to return to peak form. He's simply not being used in the same offensive role anymore
Puljujarvi is also not even close to the same level as prospect as Matthews or Nylander or Marner

How are Benn or Ovechkin better at punishing players than Lucic? I'm saying nobody can do what Lucic does and put up top 6 numbers. Different types of players here, but again, nice try.

His offensive role last year was to be a shut down C, and sometimes played on the 3rd line. He will be used in a more offensive role this year. If you're going to talk trash about a team, know whats going on with them first.

Puljujarvi is on the exact same level as Marner and Nylander in terms of a prospect. You're only lying to yourself if you think any different.

All you've offered here is false interpretations and straight up ********. :laugh:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

RNH was used in a shutdown role that he never should have been. Much more likely to return to his 50pts + pace

Lucic being a 25/25 player and his physicality is much more valuable than say JVR IMO.

Puljujarvi is absolutely on the same level as the Nylander/Marner and it's foolish to suggest otherwise.

Plus like you said, the second line might not be as good, but the Oilers first line blows the Leafs out of the water.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How are Benn or Ovechkin better at punishing players than Lucic? I'm saying nobody can do what Lucic does and put up top 6 numbers. Different types of players here, but again, nice try.

His offensive role last year was to be a shut down C, and sometimes played on the 3rd line. He will be used in a more offensive role this year. If you're going to talk trash about a team, know whats going on with them first.

Puljujarvi is on the exact same level as Marner and Nylander in terms of a prospect. You're only lying to yourself if you think any different.

All you've offered here is false interpretations and straight up ********. :laugh:
You said he's the best physical top 6 player in the league. You should have said he's the most physical top 6 player in the league or something, which is a lot less meaningful and more accurate.

If only I said he was used in a less offensive role last year? What the hell are you going on about?

No he really is not. Would you bet on him putting up 60 points this year?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
RNH was used in a shutdown role that he never should have been. Much more likely to return to his 50pts + pace

Lucic being a 25/25 player and his physicality is much more valuable than say JVR IMO.

Puljujarvi is absolutely on the same level as the Nylander/Marner and it's foolish to suggest otherwise.

Plus like you said, the second line might not be as good, but the Oilers first line blows the Leafs out of the water.
Unless Draisaitl fails to center his own line again and has to be carried by McDavid, why wouldn't the Nuge be the 3c?

I'd take the better player over the more physical one any day. There's a reason Burke wasn't a good GM.

Puljujarvi might get there but he isn't there yet. I don't think it's unreasonable to sat he won't have the same impact his first year

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
You said he's the best physical top 6 player in the league. You should have said he's the most physical top 6 player in the league or something, which is a lot less meaningful and more accurate.

If only I said he was used in a less offensive role last year? What the hell are you going on about?

No he really is not. Would you bet on him putting up 60 points this year?

Fair on me not wording what I mentioned about Lucic the right way. Now that you understand, you know I'm not wrong.

What am I on about with RNH? He will likely be put back into the position he was before to put 50-60 points this year like he is clearly capable of.

Who would have bet on Marner and Nylander putting up 60 points last year? We are talking about where these players were as prospects, and Puljujarvi is on the exact same level that both of these guys were before their rookie seasons last year.

If he plays this season, that would put him on the same development pace as Marner and 1 year ahead of Nylander. Do I think that Puljujarvi will be a 60 point player in his 3rd year like Nylander? absolutely!! Do I think he has the ability to do it this year? absolutely!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Top 6 we arent likely to be ranked very high.Here in Ottawa ,but if we add another line or two we look very solid:nod:

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015

You mean the same role Kadri was used in?

Lucic this isn't 2010 anymore. At one time i would agree with you.

Pool Party has all the tools but some feel his tool box isn't quite there.

See here is what your not getting The Difference in the Oilers first line is smaller compared to the difference in the second is much much bigger.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Fair on me not wording what I mentioned about Lucic the right way. Now that you understand, you know I'm not wrong.

What am I on about with RNH? He will likely be put back into the position he was before to put 50-60 points this year like he is clearly capable of.

Who would have bet on Marner and Nylander putting up 60 points last year? We are talking about where these players were as prospects, and Puljujarvi is on the exact same level that both of these guys were before their rookie seasons last year.

If he plays this season, that would put him on the same development pace as Marner and 1 year ahead of Nylander. Do I think that Puljujarvi will be a 60 point player in his 3rd year like Nylander? absolutely!! Do I think he has the ability to do it this year? absolutely!

The thing I don't get is why RNH would go back to an offensive role. He's a good match-up center and the Oilers don't really have many other options for that. The top 2 centers are likely to be McDavid and Drai, with the wings filled out with guys like Strome, Puljujarvi, Lucic, Maroon. Then guys like RNH, Jokinen, Letestu, Kassian, Caggiula etc rounding out the bottom 6

I guess we'll see if you're right about JP. I do have high expectations for him but this season I see him hitting 50 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad