OT: HF Pens OT Zone: It's cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Digital dumbs down the art of photography. You see all these people posting their photos that are so f***ing edited it's a joke. You want to take a really good photo, learn about aperture, exposure and timing not editing, filters and other such bullshit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Digital dumbs down the art of photography. You see all these people posting their photos that are so ****ing edited it's a joke. You want to take a really good photo, learn about aperture, exposure and timing not editing, filters and other such bull****.
or both. I feel like the photos you are complaining about are comparable to the type people would be taking with a throwaway disposable camera, not artistic photos.

ps: ya'll are old farts.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
or both.

ps: ya'll are old farts.
No, now you can download the right settings and take masterful pictures and then photoshop the f*** out of it.

The "Art" of photography remains with film in my opinion. Digital images are just, digital art. Calling it photography now, is a slap in the face of what photography means. That's all.

Nothing douchey or uppity about it, you know? People take offense to it, but both are art, just don't call one what the other is.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No, now you can download the right settings and take masterful pictures and then photoshop the **** out of it.

The "Art" of photography remains with film in my opinion. Digital images are just, digital art. Calling it photography now, is a slap in the face of what photography means. That's all.

Nothing *****ey or uppity about it, you know? People take offense to it, but both are art, just don't call one what the other is.
I mean if you want to call it something other than photography I guess that's fine.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean if you want to call it something other than photography I guess that's fine.

I'm not trying to diminish what people do with digital shots, I've seen some fantastic shots my sister in law has taken of my niece that are just amazing, but also the shot she got was achieved because of the digital aspects of her camera allowing her to adjust things that you couldn't do with film. Film just has this charm to it, you know?

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not trying to diminish what people do with digital shots, I've seen some fantastic shots my sister in law has taken of my niece that are just amazing, but also the shot she got was achieved because of the digital aspects of her camera allowing her to adjust things that you couldn't do with film. Film just has this charm to it, you know?
I'll take your word on it. I haven't used film since I was a kid playing with my parents cheap cameras. I don't own a digital camera either, for what it's worth.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So my gf was watching A Wrinkle In Time on netflix and was like "Wow this movie his horrendous" and I told her about the fact that it dropped around the same time as Black Panther and the failure of the movie, Duvernay said was because of racism. I, being half black, thought that was bs considering Black Panther was #1, there are more black directors getting praise these days.

But her movie was god awful, I told her not to watch it, I made the mistake of watching it when it was in theatres, don't ask why...I was bored and went to the theatres alone to see how that felt.

The movie was so enamored with CGI that it forgot it had source material and then completely butchered it in the translation to screen. I've seen Selma and I know she can be a solid director, not a fan of her having a DC property on her hands at the moment given she sucks with anything from fantasy literature, but man, her basically attacking white people for not getting the movie, give me a break, what a terrible human being that made a terrible movie and couldn't take the criticism for it.

She's not even a properly trained director, she didn't pay her dues to get there, she basically became friends with Oprah and gets jobs because of diversity, that's a shit way.

it seems like a cool hobby or whatnot, but I just never got in to it. My dad gets some great pictures when he goes hiking. He has some blown up on the walls at their house actually.

Nice, hey like I said, it's just a category thing, digital or film, you can get amazing shots with both.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Digital dumbs down the art of photography. You see all these people posting their photos that are so ****ing edited it's a joke. You want to take a really good photo, learn about aperture, exposure and timing not editing, filters and other such bull****.
I hate all of the edited photos floating around. They can look really good but it makes everything feel so artificial.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hate all of the edited photos floating around. They can look really good but it makes everything feel so artificial.
depends what they're going for. I don't like heaving editing that they attempt to pass off as real, but you can make some awesome art with good editing. Our conference room has a big picture of Pittsburgh and the rivers are bluer than they have ever been in the history of Pittsburgh, but for a piece of art I think it's way better than an authentic picture would be.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

I disagree. Digital is just a tool, how it's utilized determines whether it adds to or detracts from the "art" of photography. Most people utilize it in a very lazy way, but throwing the entire medium out because of them is like saying that makeup is worthless because you just saw a group of girls who caked way too much of it on.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
depends what they're going for. I don't like heaving editing that they attempt to pass off as real, but you can make some awesome art with good editing. Our conference room has a big picture of Pittsburgh and the rivers are bluer than they have ever been in the history of Pittsburgh, but for a piece of art I think it's way better than an authentic picture would be.
Yeah, I guess I agree with HoG that it's a separate art. It feels more like painting than photography in the sense that it is altered to the eye of the artist. It might look appealing and it has it's place but I much prefer to see a genuine moment in time captured, with all it's flaws, than the idealized edited stuff that is everywhere.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I disagree. Digital is just a tool, how it's utilized determines whether it adds to or detracts from the "art" of photography. Most people utilize it in a very lazy way, but throwing the entire medium out because of them is like saying that makeup is worthless because you just saw a group of girls who caked way too much of it on.
You missed my point but that's not a surprise.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I want to get a flight down to Charlotte to see Pitt play in the ACC championship game, but flights are so expensive from Pittsburgh. It's super disappointing, I would have loved to go to that.

Did I forget to say Danny DeVito is in it too?

I genuinely can't take DeVito in any role seriously after his work on IAS.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I want to get a flight down to Charlotte to see Pitt play in the ACC championship game, but flights are so expensive from Pittsburgh. It's super disappointing, I would have loved to go to that.

Drive down Friday for the weekend.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's about a 7 hour drive, it's not too absurd but it's not an easy drive. That would be the longest drive I've ever done, the previous one was about 6 hours from Pittsburgh to NYC.

Weather out east too. You don’t want to be driving if it turns to ****. I didn’t think of that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

THAT role is where you thought Danny got weird?

Lol, you only know a portion of the weird Danny is.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad