OT: HF Pens OT Zone: It's cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm at Mt. Moon in Pokemon Let's Go Eevee, and I have to say, I'm not getting the complaints about the easiness of the game. Is it easy? Oh god yes, it's 100% easy. But it's a Pokemon game, all of the games are easy :laugh:
So how does the game actually work? You catch Pokemon kinda like Pokemon go but then have real battles with trainers?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So how does the game actually work? You catch Pokemon kinda like Pokemon go but then have real battles with trainers?

Yeah basically. There are no more wild pokemon battles, they show up randomly and you have to walk into them, and it's just the catching mechanics from pokemon go. Your entire team earns EXP points when you catch pokemon, so it replaces grinding.

I haven't had an issue with most of the changes. I know people have complained, but none of the changes have been bad enough to warrant some of the reactions I've seen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah basically. There are no more wild pokemon battles, they show up randomly and you have to walk into them, and it's just the catching mechanics from pokemon go. Your entire team earns EXP points when you catch pokemon, so it replaces grinding.

I haven't had an issue with most of the changes. I know people have complained, but none of the changes have been bad enough to warrant some of the reactions I've seen.
yeah I am almost never upset to have random battles gone in a game. So you'd give it a thumbs up? I am thinking about getting it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
yeah I am almost never upset to have random battles gone in a game. So you'd give it a thumbs up? I am thinking about getting it.

Without looking at the cost of the game, I'd say yeah, it's a good game and worth getting. I don't think it's a $60 game, though, because it's just a remake of a $30 gameboy game from 1998. It should be the same price as Captain Toad, it should be a $40 game.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Without looking at the cost of the game, I'd say yeah, it's a good game and worth getting. I don't think it's a $60 game, though, because it's just a remake of a $30 gameboy game from 1998. It should be the same price as Captain Toad, it should be a $40 game.
yeah that's kind where I'm at. Sadly, Nintendo games take a looooooooong time to drop in price, if they ever even do.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
yeah that's kind where I'm at. Sadly, Nintendo games take a looooooooong time to drop in price, if they ever even do.

I preordered it when Amazon still had their 20% off for preordering games, so I got it for $48. I only ended up paying like $24 after using some gift card balances too, so I definitely feel like I got my money's worth. But I wouldn't feel this way at all had I paid $60. $60 is what I'd pay for Smash Bros, not an easier remake of a game from 1998 :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m off to ikea. What’s the bet I spend more than I planned too :laugh: :cry:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Think any deals will pop up around black friday?

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Other than Pokemon, what does a Switch have?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
ce5o0WW.jpg

My leg looks so weird. :laugh:

This is what you get for skipping leg day.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I still have a Minolta (film) and some 70's Polaroid cameras and a Nikon. Some dude offered me money from it, but I love it. I love film far more than digital.

Incidentally, one of my students was complaining during her midterm that FAMU, one of the best film schools in the world, is making her learn to develop analog film properly. :laugh:

I get the debate though-- in music it's the same as the debate over digital vs. tape. I hate recording to tape. It sounds amazing, but it's a pain in the ass to deal with, it's expensive, and you're very limited by the number of tracks you can put down as well as processing options. It has amazing aesthetic qualities though, if you find it worth the tradeoffs for whatever project you're doing.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Other than Pokemon, what does a Switch have?
The exclusives are typically the reason I get a Nintendo console. This one letting you play things either on a TV or mobile makes me get more non-exclusive games on Switch. It also has a lot more companies putting their games on switch than previous generations, including a ridiculous number of indie games.

Exclusives: Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario and Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveler, Mario Tennis, Captain Toad, Kirby, Arms, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Golf Story.

Non-Exclusives: Megaman and Megaman X collections, Dark Souls, Celeste, Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, Dead Cells, Undertale, Into the Breach, Skyrim, DBZ Fighter, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Doom, Wolfenstein 2, and I'm sure a bunch more.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
BotW is awesome. It's one of the best games I've played in a decade.
It's the most I've enjoyed just exploring the open world since probably GTA3. I spent most of my time just wandering around finding things to do. Most open world games I feel like I'm always on a mission and only go somewhere because the game tells me I have to.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I could easily see myself losing like 300 hours into BotW. RPGs are dangerous for me. I will do EVERY side quest lol lol

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Yeah I usually end up way overleveled for the main quests because I do too much side stuff :laugh:

I'm still not done with Fallout 3 even though I have the brotherhood DLC and can continue after the main quest. Lol. Just screwing around. Like what, ten years after release?

I want to start a new game and just be an evil raider and kill everyone...But...the time investment, ugh!

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I have such a backup of video games to play. BOTW is one of them haha. I mean, I've done two of the Divine beasts but have so much left to do. Thankfully, I don't plan on working til mid-January. But I need to get out of my parents' house haha.

I have been playing Animal Crossing for the 3DS, though. And I need to play the new Metroid game.

And all those indie games I bought on the Switch. And Mario Odyssey. And Okami...

Jeez...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have such a backup of video games to play. BOTW is one of them haha. I mean, I've done two of the Divine beasts but have so much left to do. Thankfully, I don't plan on working til mid-January. But I need to get out of my parents' house haha.

I have been playing Animal Crossing for the 3DS, though. And I need to play the new Metroid game.

And all those indie games I bought on the Switch. And Mario Odyssey. And Okami...

Jeez...
I don't want to admit publicly how many games I own but haven't played. Let's move on to a new topic.

Reactions: EightyOne

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The exclusives are typically the reason I get a Nintendo console. This one letting you play things either on a TV or mobile makes me get more non-exclusive games on Switch. It also has a lot more companies putting their games on switch than previous generations, including a ridiculous number of indie games.

Exclusives: Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario and Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveler, Mario Tennis, Captain Toad, Kirby, Arms, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Golf Story.

Non-Exclusives: Megaman and Megaman X collections, Dark Souls, Celeste, Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, Dead Cells, Undertale, Into the Breach, Skyrim, DBZ Fighter, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Doom, Wolfenstein 2, and I'm sure a bunch more.
You forgot everybody's favorite ... Fortnite

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I had to replace my makeshift dock on my 2nd TV with a real dock, because it kept bricking by Switch. Luckily I got a used one for $60 that went down to $30 after some gift cards, but man, the docks are crazily expensive.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Incidentally, one of my students was complaining during her midterm that FAMU, one of the best film schools in the world, is making her learn to develop analog film properly. :laugh:

I get the debate though-- in music it's the same as the debate over digital vs. tape. I hate recording to tape. It sounds amazing, but it's a pain in the ass to deal with, it's expensive, and you're very limited by the number of tracks you can put down as well as processing options. It has amazing aesthetic qualities though, if you find it worth the tradeoffs for whatever project you're doing.
I just love film more.

I was having a hard time explaining until I was watching this docu-series on netflix, Abstract. In it, there's a photographer that is quite famous that prefers film as well and when you shoot with film, you're forced with looking for the next shot right away, in Digital, you're admiring your previous shot like Letang during his own pass. You take a shot, you look at it, you stare at it and see how the composition is and you can edit it, blah blah blah...it takes the charm out of the whole photography process.

I took photography way back in highschool and some in college, it was more of a passing interest that I never really explored, but enough to buy a few cameras. I have a couple of Nikon digital ones, but I always prefer my film ones, my gf thinks I am an old fart, but just the whole charm of film and seeing what you got adds to it, you know?

Then again, I still also buy vinyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad