Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 18th Overall

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Zykov is a right handed goal scorer with some grit. He has top-6 potential which is something we need. But after watching some videos, I'm very impressed with Pulock, and I think he's the better player to draft despite our defensive prospect depth.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I would like to see us trade up. We have lots of prospects in our system. I think now is the time to go for that star forward we are missing.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
do not know about Nicolas Petan , but he is going #17 and he had
17. Nicolas Petan 27 Portland (WHL) Mar. 22/95 C L 5'9/163 71 46 74 120 +68
+68 make me look at him

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would like to see us trade up. We have lots of prospects in our system. I think now is the time to go for that star forward we are missing.

I would trade up if we see a big talent in free fall mode (i.e. Cam Fowler). If we trade up, we need to get up into the top nine or so. Most of the guys between 10 or so and 18 are really a horse a piece. Do you really want to trade up for a Domi, Horvat or Lazar? All nice players mind you. Would you really want to trade up for a defensemen? The only guy that will go outside of the top ten that I would probably trade up for is Wennberg.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I would trade up if we see a big talent in free fall mode (i.e. Cam Fowler). If we trade up, we need to get up into the top nine or so. Most of the guys between 10 or so and 18 are really a horse a piece. Do you really want to trade up for a Domi, Horvat or Lazar? All nice players mind you. Would you really want to trade up for a defensemen? The only guy that will go outside of the top ten that I would probably trade up for is Wennberg.

I would try and trade up to the top 10. Obviously you have to factor in cost and sitting at 18 might be better. All depends on who we value but I am looking for a legit #1C. Obviously dont want to be tied to that if a really good D-man drops or something.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
There most certainly will be a player that falls, maybe not to the 18th range but 12-17th range, there are always one or a few player(s) ranked 20-30th that goes way earlier, that pushes the earlier ranked players down, wings should embrace that opportunity and go for it, if that's the case IMO.

Am I the only one who's really surprised to see Pulock being ranked so low by TSN experts (25-30th range)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Am I the only one who's really surprised to see Pulock being ranked so low by TSN experts (25-30th range)

No you're not and he's ranked that low by Button only, I think.

edit. Bobby Mac said this on his combine special.

When I talk to scouts...I've got some guys that think Ryan Pulock is a Top-15. Others who think he's closer to a Top-20. And still others think he's a Top-25, top-30. Even there are many scouts that think Ryan Pulock is a Second Rounder as a First Rounder."

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Even though this organization needs big centers first and foremost, only Barkov and Monahan fits that mold (Gauthier etc does not have high offensive potential) They should jump on Pulock if he's available at 18th. Already in a man's body, right-handed D with a awesome shot. If he needs to be better defensively he'll learn that in a few years.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Pulock may drop bc he was injured whit year and points, in total and ppg, dropped.

But he actually lead his team in points (tied with forward who played 5 more games).

Christien

May 1, 2010
What I have heard is that scouts don't think Pulock can get better. They think that this is as good as he will get. I've heard them talk about his upside.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Even though this organization needs big centers first and foremost, only Barkov and Monahan fits that mold (Gauthier etc does not have high offensive potential) They should jump on Pulock if he's available at 18th. Already in a man's body, right-handed D with a awesome shot. If he needs to be better defensively he'll learn that in a few years.

Pulock would be nice, but should we draft only forwards this time? This is a great forward draft, and we have defensive prospects already over for two teams. And we have added someone like DeKeyser for free. We also signed this goalie Jared Coreau for free. So, get forwards this time...

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Pulock would be nice, but should we draft only forwards this time? This is a great forward draft, and we have defensive prospects already over for two teams. And we have added someone like DeKeyser for free. We also signed this goalie Jared Coreau for free. So, get forwards this time...
Either way, I've already started counting the days, june 30th can't come soon enough!

Wonder what kind of impact, if any, the draft selections will have with Jim Nill gone to the Stars, hmmm

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Get the best player available, smaller bust factor, trade expandable Dman for forwards and profit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Get the best player available, smaller bust factor, trade expandable Dman for forwards and profit.

Nice idea, but usually easier said than done. Like Holland has said in the past, different organizations like different prospects. Everybody usually likes their own prospects. Prospect for prospect trades are more rare than normal trades, because every organization overvalues their own prospects.

But I'm ok if we get a 1 defenceman with that 1st pick and then pick only forwards. We should go deep with NCAA guys, to get those draft rights keep longer. NA guys from junior leagues enter the draft after 2 years, if not signed. And rights for Europeans last 4 years from now on. If we have too much those guys right ending after 2 years, we lose many of them, because the prospect pool is starting to be overcrowded. Contract limits will hit against.

Defenceman + several NCAA/European forwards would be my tactic.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Nice idea, but usually easier said than done. Like Holland has said in the past, different organizations like different prospects. Everybody usually likes their own prospects. Prospect for prospect trades are more rare than normal trades, because every organization overvalues their own prospects.

If they like the forward best at their pick, they should take the kid.

If it's dman, take the kid.

Same with goalies.

That is how I view BPA. Just don't draft purely by position, bc it looks like weakness now. Bc it may not be weakness in 4-7 years when the pick is contributing.

I'm not suggesting trading prospects, it's often poor value in them. Trade roster players. For example when/if Jensen/Ouellet/Sproul are pushing for spots, trade Kindl, Q. When Nyquist and Tatar prove to be legit trade Flip (well, too late for that) or whatever is expandable. This way you can get more value and help with cap control etc.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Bc it may not be weakness in 4-7 years when the pick is contributing.

I'm not suggesting trading prospects, it's often poor value in them. Trade roster players. For example when/if Jensen/Ouellet/Sproul are pushing for spots, trade Kindl, Q. When Nyquist and Tatar prove to be legit trade Flip (well, too late for that) or whatever is expandable. This way you can get more value and help with cap control etc.

Good points. :thumbu:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
If they like the forward best at their pick, they should take the kid.

If it's dman, take the kid.

Same with goalies.

That is how I view BPA. Just don't draft purely by position, bc it looks like weakness now. Bc it may not be weakness in 4-7 years when the pick is contributing.

Agreed.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
You just don't pick goalies in the first round... And it's not just because of McCollum, it's just a waste, smarter to get them with 3-5th round, like from europe and NCAA and let them develope for a loooong time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad