Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 18th Overall

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
greetings Red Wings fans, I've thought a cool idea for this draft would be to do a mock draft by going through each team forum in order of there pick in the first round and poll who they would take. whoever gets the most votes gets picked. and is taken off the list for the next team. with the 17th overall pick the Senators took Burakovsky with the other results just below. I'm hoping that by going through each team's forum I would get a better idea of who there team might select since those fans should know the most about there teams, so given the circumstances who would the Red Wings select 18th overall?

Picks so Far:

Avalanche: Seth Jones
Panthers: Nathan Mackinnon
Lightning: Jonathon Drouin
Predators: Aleksander Barkov
Hurricanes: Sean Monahan
Flames: Elias Lindholm
Oilers: Valeri Nichushkin
Sabres: Rasmus Ristolainen
Devils: Hunter Shinkaruk
Stars: Alexander Wennberg
Flyers: Darnell Nurse
Coyotes: Max Domi
Jets: Frederik Gauthier
BlueJackets: Bo Horvat
Islanders: Nikita Zadorov
Sabres: Adam Erne
Senators: Andre Burakovsky

after I go through all 30 picks of the first round I will post the results in the prospect section.

I also ask that I'm looking to poll Red Wings fans so if your not a Red Wings fan and just browsing I ask that you refrain from voting thanks.

also Mods I realize you guys have a prospects thread but this type of thing needs to be done in a poll so I ask that you don't delete/merge the thread to allow me to continue thanks

Christien

May 1, 2010
It's gotta be Curtis Lazar at this point. He fits our need for center very well. Pulock is a great prospect, but we are loaded with defensive prospects already.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
If this is what's left at 18 they should really trade down. Lots of good options and none really stand out above the others.

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
I wouldn't trade down either. We need star power and could get some with this pick. Starting around 25 I think most players are more or less equal from 25-60.

For me it's a toss-up between Pulock and Zykov. Voted Zykov.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Obsession with quantity of prospects rather than quality, a Lazar/Pulock/Zykov is worth more than, let's say Duclair and Bailey

Lazar
Hartman
Rychel
Zykov
Pulock
Mantha
Hagg
Morrissey
Theodore
Compher

You could easily move down to the bottom end of the 1st. Do you really need to get one of these guys over the others that badly to possibly pass on another 2nd round pick? Adding another prospect like a Nick Baptiste to any name on that list is more valuable than picking first from it, imo.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I went with Zykov. I have some irrational hang up with Lazar. I am sure I will get over it some day. I could really see the Wings taking Morrissey for some reason.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Super-über-cliche right there, there are 3 players in that list that stand out more than the others.

But someone else we like may still be there when we pick at say 25 & we pick up another pick, say a 2nd in the 32-35 range.

Anyways it's down to Zykov, Lazar, Klimchuk & Theodore for me.

I really like Theordore's skating & his offensive potential is through the roof, he's something we don't have in our system, a LH offensive dman. A potential top 4 offensive dman/#1 unit PP QB.

Lazar has the makings of a good #2C but he had a bit of an up & down year. He had a rough 1st half, good 2nd half & bad playoffs. He fills a need but I'm not sure he's the best pick for us here. His best asset is his shot, he's average playmaker, has been compared to Fischer/Carter lite. Potential #2C/#3C

Klimchuk had a good year in the WHL & had a great u18 tourney for Canada, he showed he can indeed play on a scoring line. Potential top 6 winger

Zykov had a good rookie year, IIRC he won CHL rookie of the year. He plays a powerforward game even though he's only 6'1. Potential top 6 winger.

I was going to go with Lazar but I've changed my mind to Zykov. We don't have to address our center need in the 1st round. 1st round should be BPA & that here is Zykov. Hopefully we can add in some boom or bust centers later on in the draft. Something tells me Lazar's offensive won't transfer to the NHL. :dunno: I'd still rather we trade back to 23-26 & pick up an early 2nd, 31-35, instead.

Last edited:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
But someone else we like may still be there when we pick at say 25 & we pick up another pick, say a 2nd in the 32-35 range.

Anyways it's down to Zykov, Lazar, Klimchuk & Theodore for me.

I really like Theordore's skating & his offensive potential is through the roof, he's something we don't have in our system, a LH offensive dman. A potential top 4 offensive dman/#1 unit PP QB.

Lazar has the makings of a good #2C but he had a bit of an up & down year. He had a rough 1st half, good 2nd half & bad playoffs. He fills a need but I'm not sure he's the best pick for us here. His best asset is his shot, he's average playmaker, has been compared to Fischer/Carter lite. Potential #2C/#3C

Klimchuk had a good year in the WHL & had a great u18 tourney for Canada, he showed he can indeed play on a scoring line. Potential top 6 winger

Zykov had a good rookie year, IIRC he won CHL rookie of the year. He plays a powerforward game even though he's only 6'1. Potential top 6 winger.

Even though I don't want to I think we have to with Lazar here. I'd rather we trade back to 23-26 & pick up an early 2nd, 31-35, instead.
What if the best scenario is the 28th and 54th overall for the 18th overall? Is that also worth trading down for? 28th + 48th + 54th or 18th + 48th, that could be what it gets down to...

People just assume that the extra second rounder will be within the first picks of round 2....

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
What if the best scenario is the 28th and 54th overall for the 18th overall? Is that also worth trading down for? 28th + 48th + 54th or 18th + 48th, that could be what it gets down to...

People just assume that the extra second rounder will be within the first picks of round 2....

Well it depends on how you value the prospects in that range, I wouldn't trade down if that's the only offer but I think we could get better. Though last time we trade down it was from 24th to 35 we picked up the 48th so one would think that we could get the 23-26th+33-40. Something like the habs 1st, 25th overall, + either the 34th or 36th overall pick.

So let's say we trade down to 25th overall & we get the 36th pick. We pick Klimchuk, Morriesey, Erne, Mantha or Burakovsky with our 1st & we could then get Theodore, Morin, Lehkonen, Hurley with the 36th.

Unless someone like Domi, Horvat or Wennberg are there when we pick I'm okay with trading down.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I think our defense prospect depth is too much at this point. We do need star power up front. I know we need top centers, but I think that Zykov might be the best player out of the bunch, so I pick him.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
One thing I noticed with this mock draft..... 13 forwards taken vs 4 dmen. Ill be hoping for more dmen to go before the wings pick on draft day to give us more options at 18. I agree with BPA but I'm hoping its a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->