OT: HF Jets Lounge - No Jokinen in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
First of all, get in to your doctor as soon as you can - that's unnatural, and unhealthy. Please don't buy the smokes - you will regret it almost immediately, I'm willing to wager. certain that it's just a side effect of the medication, but you should see your doctor as soon as possible.

Second of all, would you say the Champix is working? Has your desire for nicotine declined? Have you suffered from any hallucinations or depression? I'm curious, because a friend of ours tried Champix, and it turned her into broadzilla - she was grumpy, couldn't sleep because of the the hallucinations, and generally was never her usual cheerful self. Yet I understand it has a very high rate of success.

I have quit smoking numerous times; even went almost three years clean, but cannot seem to permanently quit the habit. I've quit cold turkey each time, with success lasting anywhere from six months to the almost three years as mentioned, and am wondering if the Champix might work, as it conditions one's body and mind to reject the nicotine.

I know it's bad for me, and I am reminded of it's toll on my conditioning every time I engage in serious exercise or circuit training. Yet I can't seem to drop the habit permanently. I find I'm craving a cigarette, and then the taste disgusts me when I indulge the stupid habit. But that devil Nicotine has got it's hooks in me something fierce.

Well my guts were a little bit more active tonight, but I think I will go see my doctor about maybe prescribing something to counteract that side affect.

As for the Champix... I don't crave nicotine at all. But the habit of not smoking during certain "rituals" is tough. My 45 minute commute to work with coffee while chain smoking has been tough to break. Co-workers aren't very supportive either. So I have yet to go more than a couple days without smoking. But I haven't bought a pack in a week. Funny thing is I quit for 4 years and started again three years ago, and have been embarrassed about ever since.

As for side affects, I dream but it's not vivid and rarely remember them the next day, only know that I was dreaming. So i haven't had a deep sleep in a long time. I have noticed I have less patience and get angry quick. tough to keep in check with a hyper two year old, and being a Jets fan, lol. My wife usually tunes me back in pretty quick, lol.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well my guts were a little bit more active tonight, but I think I will go see my doctor about maybe prescribing something to counteract that side affect.

As for the Champix... I don't crave nicotine at all. But the habit of not smoking during certain "rituals" is tough. My 45 minute commute to work with coffee while chain smoking has been tough to break. Co-workers aren't very supportive either. So I have yet to go more than a couple days without smoking. But I haven't bought a pack in a week. Funny thing is I quit for 4 years and started again three years ago, and have been embarrassed about ever since.

As for side affects, I dream but it's not vivid and rarely remember them the next day, only know that I was dreaming. So i haven't had a deep sleep in a long time. I have noticed I have less patience and get angry quick. tough to keep in check with a hyper two year old, and being a Jets fan, lol. My wife usually tunes me back in pretty quick, lol.

The thing that worked the best for me was quitting cold turkey. I tried the patch, nicotine gum, Zyban or whatever was being marketed as the quitting drug at the time...still, I could successfully quit cold turkey for weeks and months at a time. But I'd always end up having a smoke - and it was a slippery slope back to the regular habit after that. So, I finally realized I just can't have another cigarette and it's been over 5 years.

The nicotine gets out of your system fairly quickly. I'd time it so I'd finish a pack before bed on a Friday night. Sleep in as late as I could on Saturday (like 2pm or however far I could take it). I'd be a cranky jerk for a couple of days, but by Monday the nicotine was gone and it was all psychological after that. I did burn through a lot of sunflower seeds during those times.

Good luck to you with the Champix -and, as they say, don't quit quitting!

BTW: Sign up with www.smokershelpline.ca - it keeps track of how many cigarettes you haven't smoked and how much money you've saved (based on the price of smokes when you quit). Apparently I haven't had a cigarette in 1978 days and I've saved almost $14,000! Funny how I don't have an extra $14K in my chequing account - maybe I spent it all on Jets paraphernalia? ;)

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, last time I quit cold turkey, but I was at a different point in my life then with far less stress.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

I know exactly what you mean. I took champix the first time I quite smoking, and I'm still ****ed up from it. I had crazy crazy dreams and a whole crap load of mental health issues that it started. Its a different drug now then it was, I took it like four years ago, but I will warn you to be careful with it. I'm just getting past a lot of it now.

I had some ****ed up dreams...and lots of cold sweats lol.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I just watched Skyfall tonight...and it wasn't bad. I kept hearing how good it was, but let me tell you...its no Goldeneye. Bardem i thought was pretty good, but the best Bond villian in my opinion anyways, is Alec Trevelyan.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Hangovers suck...on the rare occasion I do get them.

Usually after far beyond reasonable amounts of beer +/- shots.

I like good red wine, but it is one thing that gives me an ass dragging sweating nasty pounding the light is to loud and the sound is too bright hangover.

Up to 4 liters I am good, past that and I run the risk of having to sleep a little more...too many past that I am going to be stinky rough.
Rate of consumption also is a huge factor, but I usually line my stomach with Meat market (old world) sausages and meats, bread and butter.
I generally avoid hard stuff unless it is a good single malt scotch with a couple drops of water to open it up, or some really good overproof šljivovica.

Now, with that said...damn beer, rear ended and unrelated knee surgery this past year has added probably 20lbs over normal. Thankfully I hide it well, the bonus of being taller than most.
Smoking is something I fight with as well, though no pack a day for me...pack lasts me about 4-5 days, unless I throw beer into the mix, and then knock a day off. Back to quitting as soon as this stupid snow melts, it is out with the cleats and ball to shed this "extra".

Anyone play soccer in the summer? Might be looking to jump on a rec team...played 11 years...providing I have the time.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I managed to quit cold turkey back in September after smoking a half pack a day for 6 years. Fell off the wagon over the holidays though, the cravings just got crazy strong. Damn you rich food, coffee and alcohol! I'm now back to smoking 6-8/day. :(

What really helped me with my quit was running. When I started in August it really curbed my cigaratte cravings, to the point where I was down to just 1 or 2 a day. At that point I figured it would be easy to quit, but you'd be surprised what a big step it is going from just a few smokes a day to nothing at all. That first week of quitting was pure hell.

BTW: Sign up with www.smokershelpline.ca - it keeps track of how many cigarettes you haven't smoked and how much money you've saved (based on the price of smokes when you quit). Apparently I haven't had a cigarette in 1978 days and I've saved almost $14,000! Funny how I don't have an extra $14K in my chequing account - maybe I spent it all on Jets paraphernalia? ;)

Bet you've spent it all on food. :sarcasm:

The one thing about smoking, it curbs your appetite in a serious way. I've lost 5-7 pounds from starting smoking again (and I'm not a heavy guy to begin with), more than I did when I started running.

Last edited:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I managed to quit cold turkey back in September after smoking a half pack a day for 6 years. Fell off the wagon over the holidays though, the cravings just got crazy strong. Damn you rich food, coffee and alcohol! I'm now back to smoking 6-8/day. :(

What really helped me with my quit was running. When I started in August it really curbed my nicotine cravings, to the point where I was down to just 1 or 2 a day. At that point I figured it was easy to quit, but you'd be surprised what a big step it is going from just a few smokes a day to nothing at all. That first week of quitting was pure hell.

I don't have much to contribute to this whole conversation (other than good luck to all of you!) as a guy whose always been a track runner and never smoked a day in his life, but with that being said, I find my body has developed an addiction to exercise. I feel more tired on days when I DON'T work out, and when I'm injured and can't run, I almost can't deal with rest.

Just replace your cigarette addictions with running addictions? Does that work?

I actually know a few people who've had success by just eating lots of sunflower seeds whenever they were tempted to smoke. And I know two other guys who just straight up quit because of the girls they were dating. :dunno: I can't speak from experience, but I CAN say that don't stop trying to find what works for you. And think of all the Jets games you can see with the money you save. Wait... THAT'S IT!

Quitting Smoking = Money = Jets!

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm very glad I never started smoking. I easily could've through high school and a few of my jobs but I didn't. My willpower is nil so if I started I'd never be able to stop.

He says, drinking an energy drink for breakfast.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't have much to contribute to this whole conversation (other than good luck to all of you!) as a guy whose always been a track runner and never smoked a day in his life, but with that being said, I find my body has developed an addiction to exercise. I feel more tired on days when I DON'T work out, and when I'm injured and can't run, I almost can't deal with rest.

I actually know a few people who've had success by just eating lots of sunflower seeds whenever they were tempted to smoke. And I know two other guys who just straight up quit because of the girls they were dating. :dunno: I can't speak from experience, but I CAN say that don't stop trying to find what works for you. And think of all the Jets games you can see with the money you save. Wait... THAT'S IT!

Just curious how old you are? I'm guessing early to mid-twenties?

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

I actually know a few people who've had success by just eating lots of sunflower seeds whenever they were tempted to smoke. And I know other guys who just straight up started smoking and binge drinking because of the girls they were dating. :dunno: I can't speak from experience, but I CAN say that don't stop trying to find what works for you. And think of all the Jets games you can see with the money you save. Wait... THAT'S IT!

There, I fixed it for you...err...me...and others I am sure. ;)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I started smoking when I joined the army at 17. You got a ten minute break every hour...seemed like a good idea to me lol. At my peak, I was smoking a pack and a half a day. It was so bad I had to quit twice lol. First time I quit for 6months, and state again after my son was born...for whatever reason. I quit the day after my birthday after my wife got her tooth pulled. Haven't looked back.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Just curious how old you are? I'm guessing early to mid-twenties?

Yup, 21. And in the off season between my 4th and 5th years as a Bison Track athlete. So I realize I have a much different experience with health and exercise than the majority of folks, and for the average person it's a pretty moot comparison. :laugh:

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg

What really helped me with my quit was running. When I started in August it really curbed my cigaratte cravings, to the point where I was down to just 1 or 2 a day. At that point I figured it would be easy to quit, but you'd be surprised what a big step it is going from just a few smokes a day to nothing at all. That first week of quitting was pure hell.

Bet you've spent it all on food. :sarcasm:

The one thing about smoking, it curbs your appetite in a serious way. I've lost 5-7 pounds from starting smoking again (and I'm not a heavy guy to begin with), more than I did when I started running.

ill join in on this topic, been 10 months for me since ive had a smoke. Must say i do not get cravings anymore, although i almost cracked at a Jets game but i told my friend before the game no matter how bad i want a smoke do not give me one! June 10th 2013 will be my 1 year mark. I had been smoking for about 7 years not to heavily but id say about a pack or 2 a month

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

agreed with the quitting smoking = money.

I have been an off and on smoker for almost 10+ years. Currently doing pretty well. Stopped again last month (hopefully this time for good). I put away 40$ a week into my safe and by next winter I hope it is full of money and I can litterally roll in it :laugh: Going to buy a bike with some of it next month though as running is not my forte and I want to get into a healthier lifestyle.

downside is the GF smokes and she has all kinds of excuses not to quit :shakehead
Hopefully when she sees me treating myself she changes her mind.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Drink Water when you get a craving... The Best way to quit. If I wanted a smoke id drink a whole glass and the craving would go away. After a while you trick your brain and now even to this day I Love drinking water

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
ill join in on this topic, been 10 months for me since ive had a smoke. Must say i do not get cravings anymore, although i almost cracked at a Jets game but i told my friend before the game no matter how bad i want a smoke do not give me one! June 10th 2013 will be my 1 year mark. I had been smoking for about 7 years not to heavily but id say about a pack or 2 a month

That's awesome man, props to you for the willpower. I hear ya about the Jets games, that was what I dreaded the most when I quit. It's like a ritual for me to duck out for a cigarette during one of the intermissions, usually it's the first.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Going to buy a bike with some of it next month though as running is not my forte and I want to get into a healthier lifestyle.

One of the best ways of getting fit is to trick yourself into enjoying excercise so much that you forget it's excercise.

I LOVE mountain biking for that reason. Whenever I'm in Arizona (a week, ish, every year, as relatives have a place there) I replace all my non interval based workouts with mountain biking, because I just have such a riot dropping off of bumps, sliding the tail around tight corners etc, that I don't even realize how hard it is, but in reality, I'm out of the saddle, standing to climb hills for 45+ minutes of the hour and a half that I'm out there. (I wish I could spend as much time going down as I do up, but sadly, gravity doesn't work that way :laugh:)

It's a killer workout, but it's so fun, that you forget how hard you're working.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Holy moly, reading these last couple of pages made me realize that I've been smoking longer than most of you have been alive. Since Grade 9 HS in Ontario - 1971-1972.

I am going to give it a real honest effort this next time, as will Mrs. Monty. She promised that if we bought the Bimmer, she would quit, so I'm holding her to it, and by extension myself, I guess.

It's like any other addiction - your sub-concious brain, craving the rush it gets from whatever you're adddicted to, will do everything in it's power to stop you from quitting.

Willpower, I guess. I'd better find a cheap and plentiful source.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Holy moly, reading these last couple of pages made me realize that I've been smoking longer than most of you have been alive. Since Grade 9 HS in Ontario - 1971-1972.

I am going to give it a real honest effort this next time, as will Mrs. Monty. She promised that if we bought the Bimmer, she would quit, so I'm holding her to it, and by extension myself, I guess.

It's like any other addiction - your sub-concious brain, craving the rush it gets from whatever you're adddicted to, will do everything in it's power to stop you from quitting.

From what drives me when I have managed to stop smoking is this: First 72 hours is the hardest part, once you get past it an actual physical craving lasts something like 30 seconds - 2 minutes. Once that passes it is just mental...just gotta be strong when the physical cravings come in and have mental fortitude for the rest.

Good luck, I will be joining the other quitters shortly, gotta ween off on this pack...then cold turkey.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Sometimes knowing how much willpower something takes to do can inspire you to do it, and be proud of the ability to get it done.

I had to quit eating/drinking dairy products almost two years ago. Not an addiction but a big part of my life, (especially chocolate milk... ugh...) and a big part of my diet, as with most other peoples. Part of why it was so easy to decide one day I wouldn't touch them again, and never look back, is how it feels to just shrug and say "It's for the better in the end, so I just did it" whenever anyone asks if it's awful to not be able to have milk. I know it's not an addiction chemically, but I DO crave chocolate milk, and even more so Egg Nog, but the realization of the willpower that it takes someone to just change a pattern on a dime helps me keep my pattern changed, because it's a point of pride for me.

Again, I'm sure all my posts on this topic are only kind of relevant, I just like to support anyone who is quitting smoking in any manner I can, because it's always a good choice in the end.

Get 'er done, bud! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln