OT: HF Jets Lounge | Flying snowmobiles at the Grey Cup in Regina? Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
So a customer comes into the store yesterday to pick up part of an order; we've got some postcards, posters and tickets on the go for him.

I hand him the postcards, and he waves his hand similar to Obi Wan and says to me "These are not the cards I was seeking". I just about laughed out loud - he's got to be in his mid 60's at least, and it was very disconcerting to have a gentleman of his vintage use that particular cultural reference.

Sadly, I was alone covering for the lunch hour and didn't have anybody to share the moment with.

Made my day.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Surely someone here would be willing to give you a hand instead of sending everything back? I am no expert but have an IT background and have built many PCs in my days. If you can't find anyone I would be willing to stop by tomorrow after work and try and give it a go.

I don't think it would post with no GPU but you should hear a beep code that will signify no/bad video card. Same thing with ram if you try and post without ram installed. Could also be a grounding issue as well if the mobo wasn't quite installed into the case properly. I usually post my components before I install them into the case to make sure things are good to go.

Actually I took a look at your components and real;ize the CPU does supply graphics as well so you may have to POST with the on board graphics instead of the GTX 670. Then once your in the BIOS turn off the on board/ graphics.

That is lovely of you to suggest. I live in Brandon, though. The motherboard has LEDs that light up if there's a problem with something. There are 4 of them: Boot, Ram, CPU, and another that I'm forgetting. They stay lit if there is a problem. I looked and saw that the CPU one was lit, so I pulled the heatsink off and checked the CPU mount for bent pins. I didn't see any, so re-sat the CPU. This time, only my CPU fan would come on. My DVD drive and case fans remained silent. At this point, I'm willing to send the entire rig back for RMA repair and buy the rest of the parts to make it a fully functioning rig instead of piecemailing it from parts off of my current computer.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah Brandon is a little out of my way... However I would still try and get it to post out of the case if you are willing to do a bit more trouble shooting. Having the symptoms change by reseating the CPU and heat sync could be a grounding / power issue. Just set the mobo up on the box with the cpu and a stick of RAM. You can use the on board video and plug the power supply into the mobo. If it won't post check the lights on the board again and I would be fairly confident that is what the problem is.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah Brandon is a little out of my way... However I would still try and get it to post out of the case if you are willing to do a bit more trouble shooting. Having the symptoms change by reseating the CPU and heat sync could be a grounding / power issue. Just set the mobo up on the box with the cpu and a stick of RAM. You can use the on board video and plug the power supply into the mobo. If it won't post check the lights on the board again and I would be fairly confident that is what the problem is.

Breadboarding, huh? I've seen that suggested elsewhere.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Anyone else hate the rule about having to wait a year in between username changes? I want to change mine to "pens87jets7fan" but I can't. -__- it's kinda frustrating

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
When you figure something out, I should be able to change it for you. :)

Thanks :) I still need suggestions. I think something to do with me being a lady Jets fan

Anyone else hate the rule about having to wait a year in between username changes? I want to change mine to "pens87jets7fan" but I can't. -__- it's kinda frustrating

See Hammer's post

EDIT:

My laptop completely died on me today. I have the one from school, but I can't download anything on that one. I depend on google talk to talk to my bestie in BC and I have no authority to add that on schools. Anyone know where I can get a decent, but cheap one?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
TIME FOR MOAR!

gkqdixt.jpg

m5ffqld.jpg

ufz83wh.jpg

3qpsskh.jpg

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Well, I got my PSU in and put everything together tonight. I hadn't formatted my HDDs because I want to get it to post first. Good thing I didn't, because it won't post. No idea what the issue is right now. I've made sure all of the connectors are plugged in and snug, my SSD is the only drive I have connected right now, and I have one stick of RAM in to see if it would post. I didn't see a system speaker, so I can't get any beeps from the bios. Occasionally, I'll get a 'please ensure your PCI-e is plugged into the power', but other than that, nothing. I'm at work, so I can't fiddle with it right now. At least working on it took the edge off of the Jets game tonight.

You can always try cleaning the ram contacts with an eraser.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Anybody take their grade 9 kid to work with them yesterday? My daughter came with me and we had a blast. At the end of the day she said "I didn't realize how much you do all day!".

Mission accomplished. :)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Thanks :) I still need suggestions. I think something to do with me being a lady Jets fan

See Hammer's post

EDIT:

My laptop completely died on me today. I have the one from school, but I can't download anything on that one. I depend on google talk to talk to my bestie in BC and I have no authority to add that on schools. Anyone know where I can get a decent, but cheap one?

LadyJet*insertnumberhere*

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Anybody take their grade 9 kid to work with them yesterday? My daughter came with me and we had a blast. At the end of the day she said "I didn't realize how much you do all day!".

Mission accomplished. :)

My daughter is way more enamored of her mother's job. She's only in grade 8 but will be doing the kid at work thing next year and I've already been shut down. :cry:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
My daughter is way more enamored of her mother's job. She's only in grade 8 but will be doing the kid at work thing next year and I've already been shut down. :cry:

If I ever have a kid and I'm still at this job, they'd be bored out of their minds. I sit at a computer all day with headphones in and do back-end work on investments. :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If I ever have a kid and I'm still at this job, they'd be bored out of their minds. I sit at a computer all day with headphones in and do back-end work on investments. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure I broke your Facebook page. Also, sorry about telling your gf she's legendary around here. Real brain fart moment. I would imagine you have defriended me.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure I broke your Facebook page. Also, sorry about telling your gf she's legendary around here. Real brain fart moment. I would imagine you have defriended me.

Lol! I quietly deleted it. She's at work so I doubt she saw it. I haven't gotten the "wtf does that mean" text yet. :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lol! I quietly deleted it. She's at work so I doubt she saw it. I haven't gotten the "wtf does that mean" text yet. :laugh:

This is priceless. Way to go, Jet!! :laugh:

Note to self, do not add Jet to facebook. Ever. :laugh:

I know... God I felt like such a dolt.

P.S. I'm surprised you didn't delete the "Jets nerd/ video gamer" comment.

EDIT: Ohhhhhh, and the GF burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad