HF GM Games Fantasy Mock Draft #3 - Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
There aren't enough scorers in the league to just make 4 lines that have a strong chance at outproducing. You also need a line to go out there and not get scored on against opposing teams scoring lines. Ideally they can chip in. I'm pretty happy with my Crouse-Pageau-Compher 3rd line.
I feel like a line like that isn't strictly "shutdown" though, that line is damn good both ways!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The problem with that though is in this game you’re never going to build a Tampa, Boston, or Toronto (and no offence, but Toronto is not a team you should be trying to build like). The talent is diluted and the parity is up because we all get an equal selection of players, that’s why I build checking lines in these games
I understand the thought process but then if we all built a checking line there'd be no checkers left

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I understand the thought process but then if we all built a checking line there'd be no checkers left

That’s true, and if someone can build a strong third scoring line that appears like they’ll be able to create more than they allow they will have my vote

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Of the 16 lines here, I see one TRUE checking line, two scoring lines, and sort of a hybrid line. The checking line team was probably the most polarizing top team we've had in this yet. One scoring line was a team most here pegged as the top team. The hybrid line most had in the top 5, the other checking line had insane depth.

Chris Kreider - Mika Zibanejad - Mark Stone
Nick Foligno - David Krejci - Tyler Toffoli
Warren Foegele - Cody Glass - Dominik Kahun
Marcus Sorensen - Derek Ryan - Kyle Okposo

Conor Sheary - Sidney Crosby - Rickard Rakell
Alex DeBrincat - Pierre-Lub Dubois - Mats Zuccarello
Jordan Greenway - Mikko Koivu - Alex Steen
Sven Baertschi - Colton Sissons - Anders Bjork

Mike Hoffman - Sebastian Aho - Josh Bailey
James van Riemsdyk - Tyler Seguin - Justin Williams
Carl Hagelin - Andrew Shaw - Richard Panik
Mark Jankowski - Jordan Martinook - Sam Bennett

Gabriel Landeskog - John Tavares - Jason Zucker
Tanner Pearson - Brayden Point - Joonas Donskoi
J.T Compher - Derick Brassard - Andreas Johnsson
Zach MacEwan - Brad Richardson - Jordan Kyrou

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Of the 16 lines here, I see one TRUE checking line, two scoring lines, and sort of a hybrid line. The checking line team was probably the most polarizing top team we've had in this yet. One scoring line was a team most here pegged as the top team. The hybrid line most had in the top 5, the other checking line had insane depth.

Chris Kreider - Mika Zibanejad - Mark Stone
Nick Foligno - David Krejci - Tyler Toffoli
Warren Foegele - Cody Glass - Dominik Kahun
Marcus Sorensen - Derek Ryan - Kyle Okposo

Conor Sheary - Sidney Crosby - Rickard Rakell
Alex DeBrincat - Pierre-Lub Dubois - Mats Zuccarello
Jordan Greenway - Mikko Koivu - Alex Steen
Sven Baertschi - Colton Sissons - Anders Bjork

Mike Hoffman - Sebastian Aho - Josh Bailey
James van Riemsdyk - Tyler Seguin - Justin Williams
Carl Hagelin - Andrew Shaw - Richard Panik
Mark Jankowski - Jordan Martinook - Sam Bennett

Gabriel Landeskog - John Tavares - Jason Zucker
Tanner Pearson - Brayden Point - Joonas Donskoi
J.T Compher - Derick Brassard - Andreas Johnsson
Zach MacEwan - Brad Richardson - Jordan Kyrou

I know which is why I said in my post that my opinion wouldn’t be popular with most voters. We are all fans here, fans love to see offence. Teams that win cups almost always have checking lines though. We’ve seen how vital guys like Matt Cullen, Marcus Kruger, and Jaret Stoll were in multiple cup runs. Those teams don’t win those cups if you stick a depth scoring option in those spots

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I know which is why I said in my post that my opinion wouldn’t be popular with most voters. We are all fans here, fans love to see offence. Teams that win cups almost always have checking lines though. We’ve seen how vital guys like Matt Cullen, Marcus Kruger, and Jaret Stoll were in multiple cup runs. Those teams don’t win those cups if you stick a depth scoring option in those spots
Oh yeah I'm not opposed to one, I'll have one on my Vegas team, and likely one in Toronto, just interesting to see the different team building philosophies and what works.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
One similarity of all those teams, legit #1 and 2 centers.
Its actually interesting to see how poor some of those wingers are in comparison to some teams this team, people got so much smarter I feel like now. The rosters in these drafts keep getting better and better. I'd argue that Tampa team is the best (sorry @ConnorMcMullet just mean by my own preference) and they didn't over do it with their Cs (i.e. 3 1Cs at the expense of other positions), but they built very smart down the middle. Obviously I didn't put the D or Gs in here though.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
What happens if I run out of Cup Winning players to play their positions? This could get rough.

One position, I literally have only 2 options left (1 of of which is beyond awful). Roughhhhhh.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
What happens if I run out of Cup Winning players to play their positions? This could get rough.

One position, I literally have only 2 options left (1 of of which is beyond awful). Roughhhhhh.

Hmm... Cup runner up if you run out of spots?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I guess. Dunno if that will count as breaking my restriction.

Anyways, I'll trade my best to avoid that but may run into problems in Round 19/20
Maybe you can find a couple of depth guys who are AHL’ers now but still have NHL contracts and have played a game in the past couple of years?

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Maybe you can find a couple of depth guys who are AHL’ers now but still have NHL contracts and have played a game in the past couple of years?

Yeah I got a couple of those on my list sadly lol.

Guess I will cross that bridge when/if it comes to it.

Reactions: Nucker101

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Kudos to @m0pe for doing several of these games with restrictions. It's gotta be hella frustrating having such a shallow pool to pick from only to be sniped time and time again with very little else to choose from.

Thanks!

Yeah last draft was a lot more peaceful without them :laugh:

I like a challenge. But I think I made this one too hard. Much harder than my Team Sweden one which was already pretty rough.

I know I'm not going to win this one, but still a fun idea. Maybe I can be in the running for the "Best Drafter" secondary award lol.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If I play next game I think I’ll go with a restriction as well.

Reactions: m0pe

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Do we have any suggestions for good restrictions?

I’m thinking maybe something like only picking from Canadian teams. Or maybe “southern” teams (below a certain latitude).

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If I was able to trade between EDM/OTT I'd have the perfect 1 for 1 deal for both teams between players I took back to back. Really wish I could re-do that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad