HF GM Games Fantasy Mock Draft #3 - Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Couture has gone down hill defensively too. Hertl has been taking all the toughest match ups. Clowe was really the one carrying that line defensively and another winger that hasn’t been picked yet.
...Clowe?

You mean Couture has gone down hill defensively since 2012-13?

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Left the NHL yes. But he left San Jose in 2012/13.
You are entirely right yes. For some reason I thought they traded Clowe and Murray when they missed the playoffs that season. Well it’s been since 2015 Coutures been declining :laugh: once the other player gets picked I’ll go further in detail if needed

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Couture has gotten Selke votes in the last 3 seasons. Odd to see a Sharks fan down on him.
Couture’s gotten Selke votes because no one watches the Sharks. I know this sounds weird but it’s fully true. If they did Doughty wouldn’t have won that Norris in 2016, Thornton would have won the Hart in 2016, Couture would have won the Calder in 2011, etc.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Couture has gotten Selke votes in the last 3 seasons. Odd to see a Sharks fan down on him.

You are entirely right yes. For some reason I thought they traded Clowe and Murray when they missed the playoffs that season. Well it’s been since 2015 Coutures been declining :laugh: once the other player gets picked I’ll go further in detail if needed

My intention isn't to put him in a defensive role.

What would you say Couture is currently at in terms of calibre of play.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Couture’s gotten Selke votes because no one watches the Sharks. I know this sounds weird but it’s fully true. If they did Doughty wouldn’t have won that Norris in 2016, Thornton would have won the Hart in 2016, Couture would have won the Calder in 2011, etc.
Thornton > Kane for Hart in 2016? Bruh

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
some of these takes are amazing.

man, i really could have traded you meier for giroux. i didn't know you were this extra.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
My intention isn't to put him in a defensive role.

What would you say Couture is currently at in terms of calibre of play.
I think low end 1st liner, high end 2nd liner is basically where he’s at. Pasta would be a good fit for him since Couture is more of a scorer than a playmaker. I just don’t know how Duclair would do with him. Labanc was tried with him and it didn’t go great whereas Timo, Kane, Donskoi, and Hertl all looked good with him. I think the way to get the best out of him would be that line on your roster page (Kassian-Couture-Pasta)

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
some of these takes are amazing.

man, i really could have traded you meier for giroux. i didn't know you were this extra.
Doughty was third best D. It was Burns and I think EK or Hedman was the other one, don’t entirely remember who the second was there but I remember everyone seeing it. Kane couldn’t even bring his team to the second round. Thornton dragged this team to the finals with Pavelski who’s slower than molasses and a guy that’s garbage.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Hart Trophy has nothing to do with the playoffs. It's a regular season award.

Karlsson got jobbed for the 2016 Norris. Doughty's win was one of those "well he's gotta win one sometime, right??" bullshit ones.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
All these people debating shut down lines:
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 5.33.55 PM.png

Idk how to get the vomit emoji but picture it

OB5

May 2, 2015
Was hoping to get two of acciari Galchenyuk and Goodrow. Fack

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
The point of hockey is to outscore your opponents. You don't need a shutdown line if your first line can match up against the opponent's, your second can match up against theirs, and so on.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
No duh the team that scores more goals wins games, but preventing goals is just as important as scoring goals. I don’t think every team needs a shut down line, but you do need forwards that are defensively responsible because there are three zones not just the offensive zone

Reactions: Gecklund

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
True, but if your team has no shut down line I wouldn't dock you. I see it more as a nice bonus, like the cherry on top of a yummy ice cream Sunday, just that added "wow". But ice cream with tons of caramel and chocolate sauce I wouldn't pass on if it didn't have the cherry either.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
For example, Tampa doesn't necessarily have a "shut down line" but all their lines can match up, same for Toronto, Boston even doesn't have a line designated to shut people down, they're just all good all over.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
True, but if your team has no shut down line I wouldn't dock you. I see it more as a nice bonus, like the cherry on top of a yummy ice cream Sunday, just that added "wow". But ice cream with tons of caramel and chocolate sauce I wouldn't pass on if it didn't have the cherry either.

The way that I see it is if you’re building an NHL team you want three scoring lines to give you a variety of offensive weapons and ideally have them be defensively responsible, have the fourth line as a checking/energy line.

For this game where we all get an equal amount of picks I don’t see enough offensive talent in the NHL to build three strong scoring lines unless you neglect goaltending/defence. I know that option isn’t popular with voters, but that’s the way I see it

Reactions: hockeynorth

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
For example, Tampa doesn't necessarily have a "shut down line" but all their lines can match up, same for Toronto, Boston even doesn't have a line designated to shut people down, they're just all good all over.

The problem with that though is in this game you’re never going to build a Tampa, Boston, or Toronto (and no offence, but Toronto is not a team you should be trying to build like). The talent is diluted and the parity is up because we all get an equal selection of players, that’s why I build checking lines in these games

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There aren't enough scorers in the league to just make 4 lines that have a strong chance at outproducing. You also need a line to go out there and not get scored on against opposing teams scoring lines. Ideally they can chip in. I'm pretty happy with my Crouse-Pageau-Compher 3rd line.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
There aren't enough scorers in the league to just make 4 lines that have a strong chance at outproducing. You also need a line to go out there and not get scored on against opposing teams scoring lines. Ideally they can chip in. I'm pretty happy with my Crouse-Pageau-Compher 3rd line.

Agreed that’s what I went for with my third line three guys that were responsible, physical and could all chip in 20-30 points. I see a lot of these third scoring lines and sure they might put in a couple more goals, but they would be getting hemmed in the D zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad