Toronto
One game tonight. Oilers vs Sharks.

20181120_144244.png

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
The schedule this year has been wild.

Theres 31 teams in the league, how can there only be one game?

They want to stack the lineup of games on Wednesday when viewership will be better because people can sleep in on the holiday. pretty sure they do this every year.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
They want to stack the lineup of games on Wednesday when viewership will be better because people can sleep in on the holiday. pretty sure they do this every year.

Ahh i guess that makes sense. I forgot it was American thanksgiving this week

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There are absolutely no excuses for a corporation as large as the NHL, with such large potential for revenue and growth, to employ such incompetent individuals to program their schedule and run their website. Absolutely none.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There are absolutely no excuses for a corporation as large as the NHL, with such large potential for revenue and growth, to employ such incompetent individuals to program their schedule and run their website. Absolutely none.
I don't think it's that simple. They're competing with a lot of different events like concerts or basketball games for arena use, so I don't think they have much of a choice. This time I think they're centering the schedule around Thanksgiving though

Reactions: Cellee

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I don't mind it. Gives everyone the opportunity to watch the best player in the NHL in primetime.

(talking about Joe Thornton)

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't think it's that simple. They're competing with a lot of different events like concerts or basketball games for arena use, so I don't think they have much of a choice. This time I think they're centering the schedule around Thanksgiving though

They had a Friday without a single game within the first 2 weeks of the season. It really is that simple that their scheduling and website is absolutely bush league for one of the 4 North American major sports leagues.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They had a Friday without a single game within the first 2 weeks of the season. It really is that simple that their scheduling and website is absolutely bush league for one of the 4 North American major sports leagues.
there was probably a scheduling conflict. I find it hard to believe they were thinking "okay, let's have 12 games on Thursday, 0 on Friday, and 14 on Saturday" for literally no reason. I'm too lazy to check too deep into it, but there were quite a few basketball games on Friday and they might have had to work around it. The website does suck though

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
there was probably a scheduling conflict. I find it hard to believe they were thinking "okay, let's have 12 games on Thursday, 0 on Friday, and 14 on Saturday" for literally no reason. I'm too lazy to check too deep into it, but there were quite a few basketball games on Friday and they might have had to work around it. The website does suck though

You staying up for this one? You tend to follow most Oiler games, really curious how the team responds with Hitch behind the bench now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You staying up for this one? You tend to follow most Oiler games, really curious how the team responds with Hitch behind the bench now.
yeah for sure. The season is definitely still salvageable for Edmonton thanks to that great start they had, and a coaching change should give them a nice kick in the ass to play harder for a little while. Hitch did wonders for Dallas defensively, so it'll be interesting to see what he can do with Edmonton

Reactions: Mez

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

Perhaps you can work out the ideal algorithm and then submit it to the league - let's see, what will you need to calculate?
31 teams playing 82 games each, 41 at home and 41 on the road. They'll need to play every other team at least once, and teams in their own division x number of times and an equal number of times at home and on the road.
You'll also need to schedule this around every other sporting event that uses each team's arena, not to mention music concerts, circuses, etc, etc, ad infinitum.
Don't forget to include significant holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, and Easter, and the All Star weekend.
I think there is also a World Championship tournament coming up (but could be wrong).
Oh and don't forget you need to try and ensure that each team gets a similar number of rest days between games across the entire season, and at least close to the same number of back to backs.
There could be other factors but this should keep you busy for the time being :)

I look forward to seeing your "non bush league" algorithm.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
hitchcock is really bad but i guess he's the best interim coach

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Perhaps you can work out the ideal algorithm and then submit it to the league - let's see, what will you need to calculate?
31 teams playing 82 games each, 41 at home and 41 on the road. They'll need to play every other team at least once, and teams in their own division x number of times and an equal number of times at home and on the road.
You'll also need to schedule this around every other sporting event that uses each team's arena, not to mention music concerts, circuses, etc, etc, ad infinitum.
Don't forget to include significant holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, and Easter, and the All Star weekend.
I think there is also a World Championship tournament coming up (but could be wrong).
Oh and don't forget you need to try and ensure that each team gets a similar number of rest days between games across the entire season, and at least close to the same number of back to backs.
There could be other factors but this should keep you busy for the time being :)

I look forward to seeing your "non bush league" algorithm.

Yeah, I’m one guy on an Internet forum getting asked to do this to prove a point. I probably wouldn’t do a very good job if I tried. If I were to take on a task like that, it would be incredibly disingenuous to compare my performance to the (at minimum) dozens of people who are paid a solid salary to properly set up the schedule.

In the same vein, when somebody on HFBoards criticizes a player and I wish to defend that player, I don’t act as if they don’t have the right to criticize that player unless they’re better at hockey. The funny thing here is, I’m criticizing an entire team of professionals, and you’re rejecting the validity of my criticism on the basis that you don’t think I could do a better job. This is equivalent to an Oilers fan complaining about their play, and a blind faith apologist Oilers fan saying “Unless you think you could play 1-on-5 against a 20 man roster for 60 minutes, your argument is invalid.” That’s a joke. People are allowed to criticize the performance of others even if they can’t do better.

You say that I would need to “ensure that each team gets a similar number of rest days between games across the entire season, and at least close to the same number of back to backs.” Bud, the clowns that you’re defending don’t even do that.

DgUEK5YXcAATRym.jpg

There is a statistically proven and easily explained correlation between losing and teams playing on the second half of a back-to-back against a team that did not play the prior day. Edmonton plays ten more times against teams on the 2nd half of a back to back than they do on the 2nd half of a back to back. That’s a serious flaw in the schedule and totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: stopclickbait
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad