HF Board Update questions/issues thread

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Its being discussed to see if it can be turned off for live threads at least.

The merge post thing should be turned off for everything IMO. Since you don't have to close threads over 1K anymore, there should be no need to worry about consecutive posts. It's not really a big problem anyway.

As it is, it just makes for a big ugly looking post that no one wants to read.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So out of curiosity...has anyone enabled push notifications for hfboards and if so, what does it actually send? Just a notice that someone liked or replied to a post or is there more to it?

I just noticed the site asking me to enable it and when I clicked no, it replied that I didn't understand and that they strongly recommend enabling push notifications. *LOL*

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
@forsbergavs32 Hoping to get some help here -

1) None of the buttons at the top of my reply screen work. ie. The “B” “I” etc. line of buttons. I can’t post links or gifs or pictures. Is there some way to activate this.

2) How do I get to my ignored posters list?

Thanks

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
@forsbergavs32 Hoping to get some help here -

1) None of the buttons at the top of my reply screen work. ie. The “B” “I” etc. line of buttons. I can’t post links or gifs or pictures. Is there some way to activate this.

2) How do I get to my ignored posters list?

Thanks

Hmm, bold and italics seems to be working for me it’s just hard to see that they’re active (they turn bold when active). For posting pics you should just have to click attach files.

As far as the ignore list. If you’re on mobile click the 3 bars at the top left of the page, click on your name, click account settings and towards the bottom there is one that says “ignoring”

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Hmm, bold and italics seems to be working for me it’s just hard to see that they’re active (they turn bold when active). For posting pics you should just have to click attach files.

As far as the ignore list. If you’re on mobile click the 3 bars at the top left of the page, click on your name, click account settings and towards the bottom there is one that says “ignoring”
Ok thanks. I couldn’t find the ignore features for the life of me.

None of the buttons at the top work for me at all. I can still attach files using the button at the bottom, it but nothing at the top works

They used to work but haven’t for the last week or two.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

None of the buttons at the top work for me at all. I can still attach files using the button at the bottom, it but nothing at the top works

I’m at work, but I’ll let someone know after I get home

Reactions: 5280

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Why can't we have more than 30 posts per page? It used to be 50 before IIRC. 50 and 100 should also be valid settings.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Hey Hockey Fans. I hear you don't like all the ads we plastered everywhere, which make reading and responding to the threads on the forum almost intolerable. So how's about this, if you circumvent our ads, we'll throw this juicy popup in your face.

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 9.57.27 AM.png

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

On mobile? This was an issue for me as well but I managed to fix it by clicking one of the more options buttons? Not sure its hard to explain.

Reactions: 5280

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey Hockey Fans. I hear you don't like all the ads we plastered everywhere, which make reading and responding to the threads on the forum almost intolerable. So how's about this, if you circumvent our ads, we'll throw this juicy popup in your face.

View attachment 563273
Has anyone figured out how to bypass this? I get a gigantic white screen shoved in my face every time I click a new page on HFBoards because I'm using an adblocker. It's actually so grating on the eyes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Has anyone figured out how to bypass this? I get a gigantic white screen shoved in my face every time I click a new page on HFBoards because I'm using an adblocker. It's actually so grating on the eyes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

None that I’m aware of, unless you drop the $12 a year to be a sponsor

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I hadn't visited HFBoards on anything but my phone for some time when I opened it on my laptop a little while back and got that ad blocker prompt.
Using this site on my phone reminds me of why I use an ad blocker on other devices (and why I should use the Ghostery browser on my phone). It's not even the ads. It's the "You may also like" crap at the end of each page between the comments and the reply box/page counter.
Scrolling past 4 boxes emblazoned with HFB gets old. I'm on the site already! I'll see the content without being spammed!
Gah.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I hadn't visited HFBoards on anything but my phone for some time when I opened it on my laptop a little while back and got that ad blocker prompt.
Using this site on my phone reminds me of why I use an ad blocker on other devices (and why I should use the Ghostery browser on my phone). It's not even the ads. It's the "You may also like" crap at the end of each page between the comments and the reply box/page counter.
Scrolling past 4 boxes emblazoned with HFB gets old. I'm on the site already! I'll see the content without being spammed!
Gah.
I don't spend a lot of time on boards, really only this one at this point, and I am not often on a desktop but I definitely do most of my HF on the computer because it looks terrible and small on my phone. The ads on this sucker are bonkers. Do those go away if I sponsor? I get floating ads that appear right at where the updated threads are with slow-developing Xs so I can't close them right away, and then all kinds of other ones that definitely are getting my algorithm all wrong. Weirdo right wing clothing, sexy underthings for curvy ladies, and some phone game where they show one of those gross throbbing "animated" images of either 2 men kissing or apparent incest? If I could banish those I might pay that $12.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The mobile experience is pretty awful on this site. The worst thing has to be pages jumping around as ads load in. If you're going to insist on having ads (I get it, nothing is free and you have to pay the bills somehow) then at least reserve the right height on the elements into which the ads load. You know responsive breakpoints and the size ads that will load, so just make the placeholders before the ads fully load the same height. I've clicked on the wrong link, so many times because as I click the whole page jumps around to accommodate the ads being loaded in. Same with trying to add a comment, try to click into the textarea and boom I've clicked on some random advert for some obscure disease remedy.
I also agree the You May Also Like links are too much when you're already here. On a mobile device the HFB logo is like 3 times the size of the actual thread title.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If HF thinks they can annoy/shame me into not using an Ad Blocker because they keep redirecting to a new page to make me click continue, they clearly don't know me too well. Now I'll leave the blocker on and gladly keep doing it!

(It is annoying though)

• Wow
Reactions: TheStatican

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad