Post-Game Talk: Hey, where's the GDT?? Caps @ Rags Game 2 (MOD WARNING IN OP-- ALL READ)

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
I'm really suprised that was called given the context of what the ref was seeing

Brouwer wasn't even looking at the guy and it looks like his stick grazed his jersey. Just an odd call to make at that point.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
More proof that if the Caps play a full 60, they'll beat this team most of the time. Gotta play 100% whistle to whistle. Even still, we almost had 'em. I was pretty sure when the Rags scored their 3rd goal that they'd take it, but it was worth it just to see Ovie score his. Holy ****, what a player.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
The caps obviously didn't play a good first 30 minutes of hockey. That being said, they ran into some awful puck luck (granted, some of that was self inflicted)...That puck that absolutely died as it went around the boards.... then MSL wiffs on a pass, the puck hits 2 caps sticks, and then lays on the tape for Brassard who scores on a no look spinorama.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You softened on your Rangers=unstoppable force stance yet?

In his defense, Rags + refs is a pretty unstoppable force.

My problem with the officiating isn't with the calls on the Caps (minus the Yandle embarrassment, er, embellishment). My problem is if the refs are going to call the game like that, call it like that both ways. There is no way the Rangers committed one penalty today with the way the refs called the game.

But, in the end, we did it to ourselves. Beagle tipped the puck away from Niskanen. Holtby with a mistake on the first goal. Brouwer decided to show up to the rink today. Get the next one.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You softened on your Rangers=unstoppable force stance yet?

That's hyperbole from you, and you know it. I didn't think we could beat them in a series. Games like this are partly why, as the NHL wants the Rags to advance.

I will very very very happily be wrong.

But it's not like we've got this in the bag, and I sure hope you don't think that way.

My guess is it will be 2-2 going back to New York, as we will see more to today's reffing performance in one of the next 2 games, if not both.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The officiating really makes it hard to watch these games sometimes. It's obvious that down 1-0 in the series the league tries to "even things up", just as they do in-game with penalties most of the time.

The Rangers being rewarded for whining like entitled ***** makes my stomach turn.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
In his defense, Rags + refs is a pretty unstoppable force.

My problem with the officiating isn't with the calls on the Caps (minus the Yandle embarrassment, er, embellishment). My problem is if the refs are going to call the game like that, call it like that both ways. There is no way the Rangers committed one penalty today with the way the refs called the game.

But, in the end, we did it to ourselves. Beagle tipped the puck away from Niskanen. Holtby with a mistake on the first goal. Brouwer decided to show up to the rink today. Get the next one.

Bingo to all of this. We've seen it time and again. Caps will need to be a lot better than the Rags ton be able to beat all that comes with New York. I didn't see it mid season, I didn't see it at start of playoffs, and I'm worried I won't see it now. I want it, but I never get what I want as a Caps fan. Maybe since I'm so resigned to a series loss, the opposite will actually happen.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We lost a one goal game on the road, against a desperate team, only putting in a good 25 mins of hockey. We've stolen home ice, now defend it boys. Hard not to feel ok heading to DC.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It's time for the Washington Post to make big time news - with a headline "Rags beat Washington with help from the refs" and talk about the terrible officiating the Caps get in games in the playoffs... or Trotz needs to take a fine and call this ******** out.

Teams avg over 3 power plays per game in the playoffs. The Caps haven't had more than 3 power play chances THE ENTIRE PLAYOFFS and have had more than 3 only one time over 15 playoff games ago. That means for 15 straight playoff games, the Capitals haven't even had an "average" amount of power play chances... just think about that. Do some teams play careful and know our PP is deadly? Sure. However, 15 straight games with that kind of discipline? That's fishy and ********.

In 2012 - another 7 game series we lost against the Rags - we only had 1 game where we had more than 3 power play chances.

In the last 9 games VS the Rangers in the playoffs the Capitals have had 19 total power plays... against the Rangers 34. Almost a 2-1 differential. Yet the Rangers have only won 5 of those games VS the Caps 4. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE.

Rangers averaging almost 4 power plays per game against us - the Caps haven't had more than 3 power play chances in over 15+ straight playoff games now.... Wow.

In the last three series the Caps have played - they've had more PP opportunities than their opponent a total of 3 games.

Also, how about this other stat.

Since 2011 - When the Caps win a game VS the Rangers (has happened 7 times) - the NEXT game the Capitals have had 12 power plays total - to the Rangers 26.

It's the same thing over and over and over again. No way a team continues to play that clean against us and when the Rangers "really need to get a win" we play that bad.

I'm sick of it. Someone needs to mention these stats and ask WTF is going on? It's hard enough winning in the playoffs because all the teams are good. When you get negative help from the officials b/c it seems like they are against you - there's almost no chance of winning.

Pathetic. Even if the Caps win a game - It's almost a guarantee to have 4-5 PK's the next game with getting no power plays either. Even when they obviously trip/hold/etc our players... but calls taht are embellished get called for them.

I just spend a lot of time looking up these stats, but wow... It's completely unfair and biased against the Caps. If it happened every once in awhile, I can understand... but this consistent series after series and even game after game... It's ********.

I'm not saying anyone is cheating, of course. I'm jsut saying this kind of thing needs to be brought up and attention needs to be made from it.

Rangers talk about caps dirty play, they cry about non-calls, say our team is unsportsmanlike/etc.... but crying to refs and getting biased officiaiting from it (at least it seems that way) is way more dirty than targeting hits, punches, slashes, etc.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bingo to all of this. We've seen it time and again. Caps will need to be a lot better than the Rags ton be able to beat all that comes with New York. I didn't see it mid season, I didn't see it at start of playoffs, and I'm worried I won't see it now. I want it, but I never get what I want as a Caps fan. Maybe since I'm so resigned to a series loss, the opposite will actually happen.

JERRY_SEINFELD_OPPOSITE.jpg

It worked last series against a NY team....maybe we should do the opposite and NOT do the opposite against this NY team. But then we'd still be doing the opposite of something. :cry:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I get that the refs suck, but I think those effects are overstated, not to mention it's the one thing the Caps can't really control.

The refs would need to give the Caps ~5 more PPs for the game to even be tied... unless the refs are in Caps' heads, it's not really the deciding factor.

I don't mind people here venting about refs, but the Caps better think about their own play for next game(s).

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Let's just stick to our game, we're headed back to DC and we can win it if we play a full 60 minutes.
We did it in game 1, but not today.

In Trotz we trust.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's time for the Washington Post to make big time news - with a headline "Rags beat Washington with help from the refs" and talk about the terrible officiating the Caps get in games in the playoffs... or Trotz needs to take a fine and call this ******** out.

Teams avg over 3 power plays per game in the playoffs. The Caps haven't had more than 3 power play chances THE ENTIRE PLAYOFFS and have had more than 3 only one time over 15 playoff games ago. That means for 15 straight playoff games, the Capitals haven't even had an "average" amount of power play chances... just think about that. Do some teams play careful and know our PP is deadly? Sure. However, 15 straight games with that kind of discipline? That's fishy and ********.

In 2012 - another 7 game series we lost against the Rags - we only had 1 game where we had more than 3 power play chances.

In the last 9 games VS the Rangers in the playoffs the Capitals have had 19 total power plays... against the Rangers 34. Almost a 2-1 differential. Yet the Rangers have only won 5 of those games VS the Caps 4. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE.

Rangers averaging almost 4 power plays per game against us - the Caps haven't had more than 3 power play chances in over 15+ straight playoff games now.... Wow.

In the last three series the Caps have played - they've had more PP opportunities than their opponent a total of 3 games.

Also, how about this other stat.

Since 2011 - When the Caps win a game VS the Rangers (has happened 7 times) - the NEXT game the Capitals have had 12 power plays total - to the Rangers 26.

It's the same thing over and over and over again. No way a team continues to play that clean against us and when the Rangers "really need to get a win" we play that bad.

I'm sick of it. Someone needs to mention these stats and ask WTF is going on? It's hard enough winning in the playoffs because all the teams are good. When you get negative help from the officials b/c it seems like they are against you - there's almost no chance of winning.

Pathetic. Even if the Caps win a game - It's almost a guarantee to have 4-5 PK's the next game with getting no power plays either. Even when they obviously trip/hold/etc our players... but calls taht are embellished get called for them.

I just spend a lot of time looking up these stats, but wow... It's completely unfair and biased against the Caps. If it happened every once in awhile, I can understand... but this consistent series after series and even game after game... It's ********.

I'm not saying anyone is cheating, of course. I'm jsut saying this kind of thing needs to be brought up and attention needs to be made from it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/dan-steinberg

Maybe send your stats to Dan and see if he wants to roll with something. He tends to go for those kinds of things that other media sources may not talk about.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
JERRY_SEINFELD_OPPOSITE.jpg

It worked last series against a NY team....maybe we should do the opposite and NOT do the opposite against this NY team. But then we'd still be doing the opposite of something. :cry:

The irony of it all....I've never been a very confident Caps fan. Least not since mid 80's. Maybe *that* is what I need to change!?!?

**** it, I'm in. Time to dominate that Rags ass

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I get that the refs suck, but I think those effects are overstated, not to mention it's the one thing the Caps can't really control.

The refs would need to give the Caps ~5 more PPs for the game to even be tied... unless the refs are in Caps' heads, it's not really the deciding factor.

I don't mind people here venting about refs, but the Caps better think about their own play for next game(s).

Caps were buzzing late in the third and the refs called a ******** penalty with ~5 minutes left. The Rangers couldn't relieve the pressure, so the refs did.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Normally I'd agree and move on but this was blatant game-management (rigging) from the refs. 3 PPs in the 1st and 4 total, almost all questionable, while only one PP in the third for the Caps? After the last game ended with some controversy that left NY voices crying foul? Plus all the trends SE mentioned above?

Seems sketchy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad