Post-Game Talk: Hey, where's the GDT?? Caps @ Rags Game 2 (MOD WARNING IN OP-- ALL READ)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Must feel like a low-blow for the Refs that they fell for the Rangers whining about the refereeing in Game 1 and when they give massive PP advantage to Rangers because of that they are still made to look stupid by them with the diving late in the game that isn't spotted.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Watching NHL tonight as the Rangers get high praise for their penalty killing...their one penalty kill.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
not giving up that goal right after the drop of the puck and jacking up both the NYR and the crowd would have made winning the game easier. refs didn't have a hand in that. did they?

it wasn't going to be easy to win 4 without losing and almost impossible when you do that.

Was this a serious post?? Did you watch the game? See all the horrible calls? Plus the fact that there was still 59 minutes of hockey left after that first goal? Would you have approved of posters here declaring the game almost impossible to win with 59 minutes left and a 1-0 deficit?

What did I just read, really?

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Was this a serious post?? Did you watch the game? See all the horrible calls? Plus the fact that there was still 59 minutes of hockey left after that first goal? Would you have approved of posters here declaring the game almost impossible to win with 59 minutes left and a 1-0 deficit?

What did I just read, really?

He is right though, Carlson and Orpik had their heads stuck in their *** to start the game. If we didn't give up that one, we had a good chance to win.

It's basically the opposite of what the Rangers did at the end of game 1. McDonagh and Boyle were caught napping by the top line and they paid for it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
On the Brassard GWG did Jay Beagle accidentally tip the puck so that it went past Niskanen? :facepalm:

He was trying to reach it and i thought he got a piece of it which caught Niskanen by surprise.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
On the Brassard GWG did Jay Beagle accidentally tip the puck so that it went past Niskanen? :facepalm:

He was trying to reach it and i thought he got a piece of it which caught Niskanen by surprise.

I think if he didn't tip it Nisky would have had no problem catching it

And then turn it over properly ;)

Its rare to see a puck go by a good defensive center and then a dman like that. Heck 2 goons usually stop that one.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He is right though, Carlson and Orpik had their heads stuck in their *** to start the game. If we didn't give up that one, we had a good chance to win.

It's basically the opposite of what the Rangers did at the end of game 1. McDonagh and Boyle were caught napping by the top line and they paid for it.

We still had a chance to win. It was 1-0 with over 59 out of 60 minutes to play after that one goal. If it was 1-0 with 5 minutes left some people would be saying "don't give up, quitters". There was a lot of important crap that happened after that first minute.

And fwiw, I was the one who noted the similarities with the end of game 1.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=101968981&postcount=53

It's just absurd to pretend that the game was 99% over in the first minute.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If the penalty discrepancy continues I'll start *****ing. Until then start stronger and don't have a first period like the last one and we should be OK.

Go Caps...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I see we're still whining about calls? play harder, play better, simple enough.

What an absurd stance. Playing harder and better doesn't eliminate the bad calls. It doesn't keep the team off the PK. How much harder and better could they have played when Brouwer was called for the high stick? They were living in the offensive zone and getting chance after chance.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We still had a chance to win. It was 1-0 with over 59 out of 60 minutes to play after that one goal. If it was 1-0 with 5 minutes left some people would be saying "don't give up, quitters". There was a lot of important crap that happened after that first minute.

And fwiw, I was the one who noted the similarities with the end of game 1.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=101968981&postcount=53

It's just absurd to pretend that the game was 99% over in the first minute.

It wasn't over after the first minute, but that brutal goal ended up making the difference.
Trotz has to work on the starts of our game. Making sure our guys are sharp from the first drop of the puck.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
OV had 75% of the net on that spin-o-rama chance and couldn't elevate the puck.

Holtby was a nanosecond away from squeezing tight enough to stop the brassard goal.

We got screwed by the refs.

We only played about 40 minutes of hockey in game 2.

We're bringing it home 1-1.

We're winning a staggering amount of board battles.

Nash looks like a solid two way player, not a superstar. Better in game two but overall meh.

Someone needs to hit Brassard with vigor.

In brief, thingsgoingbetterthanexpected.jpeg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It wasn't over after the first minute, but that brutal goal ended up making the difference.
Trotz has to work on the starts of our game. Making sure our guys are sharp from the first drop of the puck.

So killing 3 crap penalties right after that goal had nothing to do with the start??

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
OV had 75% of the net on that spin-o-rama chance and couldn't elevate the puck.

Holtby was a nanosecond away from squeezing tight enough to stop the brassard goal.

We got screwed by the refs.

We only played about 40 minutes of hockey in game 2.

We're bringing it home 1-1.

We're winning a staggering amount of board battles.

Nash looks like a solid two way player, not a superstar. Better in game two but overall meh.

Someone needs to hit Brassard with vigor.

In brief, thingsgoingbetterthanexpected.jpeg

That's a lot of excuses. We lost fair and square, but I like where we're headed.

Last edited by a moderator:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
About refs, the only person who can even try to send some sort of a message is Trotz -- and he hasn't said anything.

So, whatever, another factor for the Caps to overcome.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Add me to the "stop *****ing about the refs" crowd. The Caps may be alive thanks to that non-call on the blatant Ovie boarding in game 7 against the Isles, so I'm not complaining for now.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How can you say "fair and square" when it wasn't fair? The officiating standards weren't applied the same way to both teams. That's the definition of "unfair".

We were not treated too badly by the refs so far in these playoffs.
We got lucky in game 7 that they didn't kick out Ovi for a blatant boarding on Hickey. If Kronwall got suspended, that was suspendible too.

I complain about the refs during the game because they suck, but they suck for both teams IMO.

The weakest call of the series so far was on Carlson at the end of game 7. I still don't know to this day what he did to get a 2 min.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
We were not treated too badly by the refs so far in these playoffs.
We got lucky in game 7 that they didn't kick out Ovi for a blatant boarding on Hickey. If Kronwall got suspended, that was suspendible too.

I complain about the refs during the game because they suck, but they suck for both teams IMO.

The weakest call of the series so far was on Carlson at the end of game 7. I still don't know to this day what he did to get a 2 min.

You're going to ignore Hickey's blatant leaping hit to Kuznetsov's head in game 7, then?

It's a shame we don't have a referee evaluation source anymore like there used to be on the Sharks board. I suspect that would bear out what many of us are seeing--that we get the short end from the refs just about every game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You're going to ignore Hickey's blatant leaping hit to Kuznetsov's head in game 7, then?

It's a shame we don't have a referee evaluation source anymore like there used to be on the Sharks board. I suspect that would bear out what many of us are seeing--that we get the short end from the refs just about every game.

Why don't we get it started ? It's a great idea.
I just hope we get some make up calls in game 3 then.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am curious what are the simple statistical chances that our playoff opponent gets more PPs that us. Looking at the numbers, one would think we are the most undisciplined team in the past decade.

I bet if one were to dig deeper, they would see a lot of the calls were once our opponent had gotten quite a few.

I remember a cap got boarded early in game 7. It was obvious they were going to let the boys play to decide the winner. I was thrilled.

Looking at one non call in a game of all non calls, is a waste of time. Ovi's hit was just higher profile since it was him, and later in the game.

Still, the Isles got a late PP in a game with no calls. In a one goal game, that is easily meeting reasonable expectation for "getting a call". Deep down Isles fans know they got a fair shake in that game, but are likely in denial. I am still laughing they didnt pull Halak despite going scoreless on the PP that series.

Last edited:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I dont' think any of us want to complain about the refs. It is very annoying and more often than not it is a sore loser excuse.

However, the numbers don't lie. Last series VS the Rangers and this series its been basically a 2-1 discrepancy in PP opportunities. 34-19 is a big difference in PP's and I think this was a fair time to bring it up. That's an unreal statistic. The fact that the Rangers have won 5 games VS Caps 4 over their last two series while having 30 extra minutes of PP time during those 9 games is impressive.

IF the stats were even and the Caps had half a game of PP time to match the Rangers total PP time - no way they lose a series to the Rags. In 30 minutes more of PP time - the Caps are scoring 3-4 more goals most likely if that's the case. In the playoffs where games are so close, that = wins.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I am curious what are the simple statistical chances that our playoff opponent gets more PPs that us. Looking at the numbers, one would think we are the most undisciplined team in the past decade.

I bet if one were to dig deeper, they would see a lot of the calls were once our opponent had gotten quite a few.

I remember a cap got boarded early in game 7. It was obvious they were going to let the boys play to decide the winner. I was thrilled.

Looking at one non call in a game of all non calls, is a waste of time. Ovi's hit was just higher profile since it was him, and later in the game.

Still, the Isles got a late PP in a game with no calls. In a one goal game, that is meeting reasonable expectation for "getting a call". Deep down Isles fans know they got a fair shake in that game, but are likely in denial. I am still laughing they didnt pull Halak despite going scoreless on the PP that series.

Yeah that game 7 shouldn't be referenced much more beyond what happens when the refs put the whistles away.

Years ago I looked at PIM or penalty disparities and noticed a trend with the Caps. I can't remember if it was just PIM differential vs opponent or PP opportunity differential, but sometime around 1993 or 1994 the Caps totally flipped from a PP positive to PP negative team.

I and some others tried to figure out why and the only things we could pinpoint were maybe the Champions incident or possibly the "have another donut" flap. Or maybe Bettman. /shrug

This was probably done before the "Rock the Red" thing took over and the Caps became a marketable product for the NHL, so it may have changed eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad