Post-Game Talk: Hey, where's the GDT?? Caps @ Rags Game 2 (MOD WARNING IN OP-- ALL READ)

nyhockeyfan

Apr 9, 2014
Had a death in the family today so I missed the game. Can I get a brief game recap? I saw OVs goal, which was nuts. And the phantom height stick, but how did the Rags score 3? And did the Caps get dominated, or hang tough and we still have life?

Thanks in advance.

I am a visitor just trying to get info on Holtby. I was at the game today and near the visitor's net for 2 periods. We arrived late in the middle of the first period and by that point the Rangers had already scored. The problem I saw with the Caps was they took a bunch of penalties. Too many penalties to take even if your opponent does have a horrible powerplay. Joe Ward's hooking resulted in a powerplay that resulted in the second goal The Rangers showed up from the beginning of the first period and the Caps got a slow start but I think it was mostly due to all the penalties. During the second period the Caps had regrouped and came out ready. Ovi is a total beast but the Rangers defense was able to contain him better--even so you should watch a clip of his goal which was a beauty. The last two minutes the Caps pulled Holtby and the puck spent almost the entire time in the Range's zone--I really thought the Caps were going to tie it up. It was ferocious. Both goalies were tremendous throughout. I thought it was a very exciting game and I would have thought so even if the Rangers lost.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I am a visitor just trying to get info on Holtby. I was at the game today and near the visitor's net for 2 periods. We arrived late in the middle of the first period and by that point the Rangers had already scored. The problem I saw with the Caps was they took a bunch of penalties. Too many penalties to take even if your opponent does have a horrible powerplay. Joe Ward's hooking resulted in a powerplay that resulted in the second goal The Rangers showed up from the beginning of the first period and the Caps got a slow start but I think it was mostly due to all the penalties. During the second period the Caps had regrouped and came out ready. Ovi is a total beast but the Rangers defense was able to contain him better--even so you should watch a clip of his goal which was a beauty. The last two minutes the Caps pulled Holtby and the puck spent almost the entire time in the Range's zone--I really thought the Caps were going to tie it up. It was ferocious. Both goalies were tremendous throughout. I thought it was a very exciting game and I would have thought so even if the Rangers lost.
To be clear, the Caps didn't take a bunch of penalties, they were called for a bunch of penalties.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Does anyone know what Holtby and the ref were saying in their long conversation during the third period? He looked upset, but then the both of them were looking at Holtby's mask. My son thought he was upset about the "Holtby sucks" chanting, which I thought was in bad taste (I hate when Rangers fans do this), but I also wouldn't have thought the players let that get to them.

A strap on his mask had broken and the Ref wouldn't whistle the play dead.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Well - historically, we're 0-2 when going up 2-0 in a playoff series that starts on the road. So at least we avoided that.

We're 6-4 when getting a split in a series that starts on the road.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
They're so delusional, Rags fans. They wanted so hard to believe we didn't outplay then in game 1. And now they think this game somehow means they're gonna go on a winning spree and end the series in 5.

I kind of understand. We were the same way when we were the President's Cup winners back in 2010.

Don't personally agree with this. I thought the Caps were the better team in game one and deserved the win. I was disappointed with the NYR's effort and lack of urgency. I could get caught up in saying the late goal in game 1 could have been a penalty call, but you never want to leave anything in the hands of the refs, cuz they're a train wreck. Bottom line to me: Caps were better in game 1, deserved the win; NYR were better in game two and won.

No matter how anyone wants to look at anything, these are two close teams. Separated by like 10 points over the regular season, both with very strong goal differentials, two outstanding goalies. Series is as you'd expect. NY today, for instance, very strong in the first. The Caps, another 100-plus point team, push back hard in the second. Third was a grind.

Two good 100 point teams pushing back and forth. Gonna be a real good series. Fantastic goaltending on both sides so far, and Holtby looks great this season. He's stepped up a notch this season and is one of the best in the league, in my humble opinion. Cheers.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I disagree there is nothing to do about the almost predictably bad officiating.

Lobby loud and for all to hear, long before the game starts. Talk about the predictable ass O'Hal and his singling out of specific players in the past. Talk up Kreider before the series. They are human and do not want to be embarrassed and will be hesitant to work their vendettas when they know everyone thinks they are true.

I wish that we had a sacrificial player to pull the same stunt Glass did, and spear Lundy in the neck. I say sacrificial as we all know they would get suspended big time.

Sep 19, 2008
I didn't see much of that game because of the draft party. They were showing it at Fed Ex field though.

We looked bad Game 6 against Isles last week too. We answered on home ice. We need to do the same Monday. Get off to a good start instead of letting in goals 38 seconds into the game

I wouldn't freak out too much as it was just one game and we were never going to sweep them. What we have to do is counter punch. They punched us, punch them back and take control 2-1 in this series. Protect home ice

1-1 going into Game 3 is expected

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC

Lobby loud and for all to hear, long before the game starts. Talk about the predictable ass O'Hal and his singling out of specific players in the past. Talk up Kreider before the series. They are human and do not want to be embarrassed and will be hesitant to work their vendettas when they know everyone thinks they are true.

I wish that we had a sacrificial player to pull the same stunt Glass did, and spear Lundy in the neck. I say sacrificial as we all know they would get suspended big time.

I know you dont mean that but remember Lundqvist just came back from a serious neck injury...but yeah officiating as a whole sucks

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I know you dont mean that but remember Lundqvist just came back from a serious neck injury...but yeah officiating as a whole sucks

He just came back from a neck injury? Perfect ;)

Did anyone in the main stream hockey media, or NY media, talk about the jab Glass gave to Holtby's neck? Coupled with the timing of Kreider kicking out Holty's legs - both during a shutout coming off of a strong series, neither incident appear to be accidental nor random.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Don't personally agree with this. I thought the Caps were the better team in game one and deserved the win. I was disappointed with the NYR's effort and lack of urgency. I could get caught up in saying the late goal in game 1 could have been a penalty call, but you never want to leave anything in the hands of the refs, cuz they're a train wreck. Bottom line to me: Caps were better in game 1, deserved the win; NYR were better in game two and won.

No matter how anyone wants to look at anything, these are two close teams. Separated by like 10 points over the regular season, both with very strong goal differentials, two outstanding goalies. Series is as you'd expect. NY today, for instance, very strong in the first. The Caps, another 100-plus point team, push back hard in the second. Third was a grind.

Two good 100 point teams pushing back and forth. Gonna be a real good series. Fantastic goaltending on both sides so far, and Holtby looks great this season. He's stepped up a notch this season and is one of the best in the league, in my humble opinion. Cheers.

The difference is that you have a whiney, bratty coach who worked the refs during and after the game over a non-call that was, frankly, a reasonable non-call. I didn't hear him get on the refs for missing the Kreider penalty that even Kreider himself assumed would send him to the box. Let's see if Mr. Righteous criticizes the refs for falling for an Oscar winning acting job by Yandle. Or for the blatant trip of OV that wasn't called late in the game. Apparently 2-2 PP opportunities is unacceptable to the Rangers and their fan base. 4-1 is more like it. We, of course, are used to that. Physical team, fitness team, hasn't mattered historically. The Caps have had a PP disadvantage in every playoff series we've been in, particularly against NYR and Pittsburgh. Forgive us for laughing at your perceived officiating slights.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Does anyone know what Holtby and the ref were saying in their long conversation during the third period? He looked upset, but then the both of them were looking at Holtby's mask. My son thought he was upset about the "Holtby sucks" chanting, which I thought was in bad taste (I hate when Rangers fans do this), but I also wouldn't have thought the players let that get to them.

welcome to hockey the last 20 years

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Rangers fans chanting Ovechkin sucks are just silly at this point.

Agreed, he's owning their team and they're still making fun of him.

On topic, this series is headed right where we want it to go. We were expecting a split at MSG and we got it. We could've won this game if we were focused right from the start, but that's just how the Caps are on matinees. It's going to 6 or 7 games, we must win the next two at VC. The Rangers would face elimination at MSG, which would be tough to handle for them.
I expect at least a split at VC.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Your numbers are very wrong. Go back a page or two and you'll see a post I made about the differences in power plays. Rangers basically are getting a 2-1 PP differential. It's beyond biased.

Here are the PP numbers:
2009- Caps 33, Rags 31, Caps had PP advantage in 4 out of 7
2011- Rags 20, Caps 16
2012- Rags 25, Caps 20
2013- Rags 27, Caps 16
2015- Rags 6, Caops 3

Total: Rags 109, Caps 88
Rags average3.9, Caps average 3.14 per game

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Here are the PP numbers:
2009- Caps 33, Rags 31, Caps had PP advantage in 4 out of 7
2011- Rags 20, Caps 16
2012- Rags 25, Caps 20
2013- Rags 27, Caps 16
2015- Rags 6, Caops 3

Total: Rags 109, Caps 88
Rags average3.9, Caps average 3.14 per game

Good lord that's ridiculous.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
How nice would it be if this team knew how to actually pot a rebound?

This is the second series in a row where the opposing goaltender's rebound control has been terrible and I can count our rebound goals total on one hand.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
How nice would it be if this team knew how to actually pot a rebound?

This is the second series in a row where the opposing goaltender's rebound control has been terrible and I can count our rebound goals total on one hand.

Yeah. Henrik has looked like a pinball machine at times.

In this series it has only been Kuz, so far.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

From your own link (PP's for both teams):

Game 1 - Caps win

Caps - 5
Rags - 5

Game 2 - Caps win

Caps - 4
Rags - 5

Game 3 - Rags win

Caps - 3
Rags - 6

Game 4 - Rags win

Caps - 2
Rags - 4

Game 5 - Caps win

Caps - 2
Rags - 4

Game 6 - Rags win

Caps - 2
Rags - 7

Game 7 - Rags win

Caps - 2
Rags - 3

Total -

Caps - 20
Rags - 34

Review: After it was obvious that the caps would sweep the Rags had the PP's been equal, they got the PP advantage in every game afterwards to a greater than 2 to 1 ratio (24 for the rags, 11 for the caps)....

Same crap different year, rags can't win without the refs. Caps win game 1 with an even PP ratio... Rags come back and mysteriously get a 4 to 1 PP ratio in game 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
mod warning: Visiting fans here to do more than say "good luck" will likely be booted and/or infracted. Caps fans should report trolls and not respond to them as it creates more work and risks infraction as well.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia

spot on Randy

Barry needs to get the memo asap ... Nice guys finish last Barry ... you need to get the ball rolling now

we need to win the penalty count in both games 3 and 4

today we lost 3-2 in a close game, were we the better team ? probly not, but it was very close

a 3-2 loss with the best PP in the league, losing the count 4-1

give us 3 more PP's and you'd have to fancy our chances wouldn't you Barry ... get stuck into 'em son

now before its too late

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
not giving up that goal right after the drop of the puck and jacking up both the NYR and the crowd would have made winning the game easier. refs didn't have a hand in that. did they?

it wasn't going to be easy to win 4 without losing and almost impossible when you do that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Refs have a huge hand in the game, starting with how they drop the puck to start the game. The things they say to coaches and players, before the drop of the puck.

They manage the game, they shape the game, and thus change the game.

Unless I missed it, they didn't show the Alzner call. Yet interference is rampant all over the ice now and this was away from the play. The Ward hook was bunk. The players feet flew out in the opposition direction as he fell on his feeble stuff attempt.

Us not getting our fair shake of ******** calls, almost a given when a team is losing in the history of the game, is nothing to scoff at, especially since we have a top rated PP, and almost have lived by it.

Last edited:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
From your own link (PP's for both teams):

Game 1 - Caps win

Caps - 5
Rags - 5

Game 2 - Caps win

Caps - 4
Rags - 5

Game 3 - Rags win

Caps - 3
Rags - 6

Game 4 - Rags win

Caps - 2
Rags - 4

Game 5 - Caps win

Caps - 2
Rags - 4

Game 6 - Rags win

Caps - 2
Rags - 7

Game 7 - Rags win

Caps - 2
Rags - 3

Total -

Caps - 20
Rags - 34

Review: After it was obvious that the caps would sweep the Rags had the PP's been equal, they got the PP advantage in every game afterwards to a greater than 2 to 1 ratio (24 for the rags, 11 for the caps)....

Same crap different year, rags can't win without the refs. Caps win game 1 with an even PP ratio... Rags come back and mysteriously get a 4 to 1 PP ratio in game 2.

What's actually mind boggling is the 2011 series when we were a superior team. If you look at the shot totals, 156 for the Caps through 5 games, 148 for the Rags. Game 4 was fascinating, we outshot them 53-39 yet they had a 7-4 PP advantage. More often than not, the PPs are proportional to offensive aggressiveness.

2013 we outshot them 226 to 205. They had a 28-16 PP advantage. Game 3 the Rags ha a 6-3 advantage with shot totals 31 for the Caps, 30 for the Rags. Game 5 in particular was an officiating gem. 5-0 PP advantage for the Rags, shot totals were 29-27 for the Rags. If you look at the penalties, none save the delay of game were goal-saving types. Roughing, elbowing, cross-checking, cross-checking. None of those earlier Caps teams were particularly nasty or physical.

I'm always amused by teams and fan bases that whine about officiating when they have a decisive PP advantage. If the Caps are even in PP chances, I'm satisfied even if Backstroke is hauled down in the closing seconds on a breakaway with no call. That's how low my standards are for our games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad