Injury Report: Hertl out for Remainder of Season (Torn ACL and MCL)

jarr92

May 7, 2013
This basically means he won’t be 100% for all of next season as well since he won’t have a healthy offseason to train.

Which means Hertl will have played one season (last year) up to his potential by the age of 28. Last time he had knee surgery Hertl did not look the same for 2-3 years. Now he will have both knees with surgical repairs.

Honestly, he may never again reach his level of play from last year. WTF.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
This basically means he won’t be 100% for all of next season as well since he won’t have a healthy offseason to train.

Which means Hertl will have played one season (last year) up to his potential by the age of 28. Last time he had knee surgery Hertl did not look the same for 2-3 years. Now he will have both knees with surgical repairs.

Honestly, he may never again reach his level of play from last year. WTF.
Depending on the severity, he might even miss a couple months of next season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Depending on the severity, he might even miss a couple months of next season.
This is essentially the same diagnosis that Thornton got the first time around. I don't think we see a ~100% Hertl until next January if we're lucky. Kinda just want them to send him somewhere and pump him full of stem cells and steroids.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Kurz is probably out there gloating how he was absolutely right that it wasn't the coaching right now and the fans are idiots

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Ottawa fans must feel so conflicted.

You never want to see guys get hurt, but that 1st rounder is looking real good right about now.

This could not happen to a better person. What a career it has been for this guy.

His career and the Sharks history could be completely different if Brown had not taken him out. Not exactly a butterfly effect moment as it was quite a big thing, but certainly is an interesting thought experiment.

Poor guy. At least we will get more water aerobics memes...

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Whelp there goes the only reason to watch this shitshow of a year. Every damn time Hertl starts playing like a stud, BAM gets f***ing injured. To go from the high of all star weekend, to this shit, poor Hertl, guy doesn't deserve this shit.

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
Wtf I was at the game and didn't even notice this play!
I was there at the other side of the rink and it looked bad (clipped low awkwardly from the guy falling) on the replay it didnt look as bad but knees are pretty vunerable especially for a power forward.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Watching it live it seem to happen in slow-mo. Seemed like Hertl had time to move/adjust but just stood there as if he didn't expect the impact to be dangerous. Can't believe it resulted in a season ending injury.
Looked to me like the guy very deliberately dove at his knees. And driving him into further knee damage by contact with the boards was just a bonus. Hertl’s freedom of movement was severely constrained by the other Vancouver guy that had him trapped. There is a pattern here. The previous injury this season was also by a guy (Anaheim) deliberately diving at his knees. Hertl is very close to being toast at this point. It took him pretty much two seasons to recover from the original Brown assault, illustrating how severe that damage was. He has been out frequently ever since as the permanent damage that persists makes him super sensitive to both stress injuries and physical trauma, whether deliberate or not. He is not coming back from this too many more times.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Welp, to quote the late Great SpongeBob Squarepants:

spongebob.jpg

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I was there at the other side of the rink and it looked bad (clipped low awkwardly from the guy falling) on the replay it didnt look as bad but knees are pretty vunerable especially for a power forward.

Did it happen along the end boards? Maybe it was the nearside boards and I could not see below them.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Man. I almost feel bad for DW. I mean I blame him for the holes in the top-6, depending too much on the kids and Jones having permanent diarrhea but he could not have anticipated the injuries to Couture and Hertl.

Well he is the reason we have no top 6 maybe top 9 worthy centers on this team (depending on who you ask about thornton). And even then we only have 1 nhl calibre center left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad