Injury Report: Hertl out for Remainder of Season (Torn ACL and MCL)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
between his 3rd knee injury, and likely not his last, and DW's overpaying of UFAs, Hertl's next contract is gonna be a major disappointment that'll make us all hate Hertl.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Innocuous collision results in torn ACL/MCL.

Thank you Mike Potenza

I don’t think it’s Mike Potenza. Some of it at least is genetics. Jumbo’s were just age related. Hertl just has weak tendons in his knee.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t think it’s Mike Potenza. Some of it at least is genetics. Jumbo’s were just age related. Hertl just has weak tendons in his knee.
IT's not typically whether they are weak or not, it's how elastic they are. When I suffered my knee injury the doc thought my good knee was torn due to how much flex there was.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
between his 3rd knee injury, and likely not his last, and DW's overpaying of UFAs, Hertl's next contract is gonna be a major disappointment that'll make us all hate Hertl.

If Hertl could never play another game but his contract somehow still counted against the cap going forward, it would still literally not even be one of the 3 worst contracts on the team.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
9jlRRyS.jpg

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

Sounds like he'll be back by training camp

I want to ask a question I hope someone in the medical field can help me with. In football when you tear your ACL/MCL you're basically done for a year. In Hockey and other sports, you can come back by the beginning of the next season. Why is that? I was thinking Hertl would miss the first half of the year but if he can come back by training camp, that's a good thing. I just don't understand the difference in the injury between Football and Hockey.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I want to ask a question I hope someone in the medical field can help me with. In football when you tear your ACL/MCL you're basically done for a year. In Hockey and other sports, you can come back by the beginning of the next season. Why is that? I was thinking Hertl would miss the first half of the year but if he can come back by training camp, that's a good thing. I just don't understand the difference in the injury between Football and Hockey.

someone can better elaborate

are used to think the same thing what would be the difference between football and hockey

I think the aggressive nature football lateral movements planting your foot in the dirt quick turns all the weight you put on it someone put a helmet in your knee all those things. Hockey is much more fluent and less stress on the joints bending a little compared to run around the field having to get blown up by a 300 pounder and as mentioned the speed of football planting go and lateral forwards backwards I would think would be a lot more stressful on the knee then skating

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
This is generally what I assume too. Hockey strides are not nearly as exacting on a knee as cutting/planting in football. So I don't think it's an issue of recovery speed, but more so a question of when it is safe to make certain aggressive movements with a recovering knee. In short, I think it's safe to skate on a recovering knee much earlier than it is safe to play football on one. But I am NOT a doctor; I am just surmising.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This is generally what I assume too. Hockey strides are not nearly as exacting on a knee as cutting/planting in football. So I don't think it's an issue of recovery speed, but more so a question of when it is safe to make certain aggressive movements with a recovering knee. In short, I think it's safe to skate on a recovering knee much earlier than it is safe to play football on one. But I am NOT a doctor; I am just surmising.

I get that from a skating point of view, but you are still getting hit in hockey. I mean any play where you are hit into the boards can't be good for the knees that are healing from an injury like that.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I get that from a skating point of view, but you are still getting hit in hockey. I mean any play where you are hit into the boards can't be good for the knees that are healing from an injury like that.
To be fair in football you can't really avoid getting hit, hockey you can. Which is partly why players coming off ACL/MCL look like garbage their first year back.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Some football players do return to the field in 6 months. Adrian Peterson comes to mind. I had that surgery myself about 10 years ago. I’m amazed that people are back playing competitive sports so soon. I was nowhere near ready after 6 months.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Hits are not leverage, football is based on leverage . I promise when he comes back he's much easier to knock off the puck for at least another 6 months

c rachoff

Dec 13, 2019
He hasn't made it through the playoffs the last two years because of injury. It really cost the team. Now this? He's clearly injury prone. I'm not sure where to go with him now. Seems like when you need him most deep in the playoffs , he's not there. Now he wouldn't have made it if the team had made it this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad