News Article: Henrik Sedin on joining the Canucks front office and why the core group needs ‘to take charge’…

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
See: Linden, Trevor.

Linden kind of got off the wrong foot. He lied about having spoken to Aquilini on the eve of him being announced as the new President. That kind of put his credibility into question IMO.

But ya. It's not like fans were kind to the Sedins early on in their careers. Canucks fans could easily turn on them if they take over the team and do a bad job. Still, knowing the Sedins, the chances are they will hold themselves accountable and not make the type of excuses and deflections that Linden did. Then again, Sedins weren't in that high of a role. It's one thing to answer questions as the captain/leaders of the team and another to be in the role of the President of Hockey Operations.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
So, I'm assuming you think JB has been pulling the wool over Aqua's eyes for the last 7 years..

Of course we have to see what Madden turns into...but the actual trade for Toffoli was'nt terrible..the failure was in his inability to re sign him after the season..The trade in isolation was fine.

Gaudette/Highmore is just an exchange of fringe players the rest of the league has very little interest in ..Your claim that JB has lost ' practically every trade'..is outright garbage...

OEL/Garland..TBD

His poor cap management, and some UFA signings are fair game to criticized.

Apparently there was no offer for toffili so yea. Terrible trade.

(also, madden has come to camp looking stronger and faster to kings camp)

Reactions: MarkMM

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not sure why everyone is so excited to have the Sedins be in management and learn the ropes to maybe one day be the next Yzerman or Sakic.

I just don’t think the Sedins have it in them to make tough personnel decisions. Maybe it’ll change when they are retired long enough so they aren’t friends with these players still.

Sakic and Yzerman are savages so it makes sense why they are good at this job.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not sure why everyone is so excited to have the Sedins be in management and learn the ropes to maybe one day be the next Yzerman or Sakic.

I just don’t think the Sedins have it in them to make tough personnel decisions. Maybe it’ll change when they are retired long enough so they aren’t friends with these players still.

Sounds like nonsense..What are you basing this on?

Reactions: notsocommonsense

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
We were discussing the actual trade..not the re signing…
Kings have already started training camp?

A critique at the time of the trade though was that if this was just going to be a rental then it was an idiotic move, and would only make sense as a trade if Toffoli was extended. Many of Benning defenders insisted that no one would be dumb enough to make that trade only to let him go...and then that's what happened.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A critique at the time of the trade though was that if this was just going to be a rental then it was an idiotic move, and would only make sense as a trade if Toffoli was extended. Many of Benning defenders insisted that no one would be dumb enough to make that trade only to let him go...and then that's what happened.
It wasn't a good look to not be able to re sign him (and I'm pretty sure I said that as well at the time of the trade)...but again, the actual trade, in isolation, was fine.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

It's not that I don't want the Sedins involved in upper management somewhere, it's that I don't want the Sedins learning on the job from this management and ownership team.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
See: Linden, Trevor.

So you hate Linden because his stint here as President didn't meet your hopes and dreams?

Linden did his best. He wasn't always honest, but that's how PR works sometimes. He clashed with Benning/FA and didn't leave on good terms. Him coming back seemed like a favor to FA in the first instance.

This sort of reaction only compounds the reputation for the fanbase being immature and vitriolic.

Reactions: Zippgunn

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So you hate Linden because his stint here as President didn't meet your hopes and dreams?

Linden did his best. He wasn't always honest, but that's how PR works sometimes. He clashed with Benning/FA and didn't leave on good terms. Him coming back seemed like a favor to FA in the first instance.

This sort of reaction only compounds the reputation for the fanbase being immature and vitriolic.

I'm saying that no matter how loved a player was/is (as a player) a stint in management is a quick way to lose that shine. I don't think you can name a more beloved former Canuck than Trevor. But he was in over his head and it quickly showed. His attitude and tone when dealing with the media didn't help either.

If it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone.

Now I believe that Henrik and Daniel are different people then Trevor, and are incredibly humble. They're coming in at a lower level and are committed to learning. The few spots they've done with the media is evident of this. This is a fickle fan base but as long as Jim Benning is around the focus won't be on the twins.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain

But saying that an executive who is being compensated millions of dollars "did his best" as some sort of justification for why people should be less fed up with them is the most immature, babybrained response I can think of. Thinking "I did my best" is an excuse that should remove you from blame/ridicule is incredible, because that is not the real world.

Linden took on a job that he was not equipped for, or took it in an environment where he did not have the autonomy needed to make decisions, and failed. Simple as that. No need for any excuses, he did a bad job and in many cases responded poorly to the light criticism he was receiving for the first time in the Vancouver market. I don't hate Linden, but he is absolutely deserving of blame for his role in the backslide of the Canucks from contention to clown-car.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i think linden deserves some heat, not necessarily for the dishonesty, but for constantly patronizing the fanbase and doing a poor job of whatever it was he did.

pat quinn was not always honest, but he didn't insult my intelligence every time he spoke and he had enough wit to withhold the truth in a charming way. linden was just painful to listen to.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
i think linden deserves some heat, not necessarily for the dishonesty, but for constantly patronizing the fanbase and doing a poor job of whatever it was he did.

pat quinn was not always honest, but he didn't insult my intelligence every time he spoke and he had enough wit to withhold the truth in a charming way. linden was just painful to listen to.
Totally. There's a difference between keeping your cards close to the vest and getting mad at people questioning you because they don't have as much information as you

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I'm saying that no matter how loved a player was/is (as a player) a stint in management is a quick way to lose that shine. I don't think you can name a more beloved former Canuck than Trevor. But he was in over his head and it quickly showed. His attitude and tone when dealing with the media didn't help either.

If it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone.

Now I believe that Henrik and Daniel are different people then Trevor, and are incredibly humble. They're coming in at a lower level and are committed to learning. The few spots they've done with the media is evident of this. This is a fickle fan base but as long as Jim Benning is around the focus won't be on the twins.

Yyyeppp.

Already, they're learning to "speak but say nothing." Painful.

Reactions: Zippgunn

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

this is the NHL, doing your best isn’t always good enough.

Sometimes things don’t go your way fine it happens. But it’s sports and at the highest level doing your best isn’t valid or we could never talk or criticize anyone

Reactions: rypper

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can I ask a serious question- not trying to be funny.

OK, Benning has done a ton of horrible things and one or two good ones. He comes across as bumbling and is trying to hold onto his job- and this approach may not be in the best interest of the fans long term. A lot of people on this site have justifiably criticized many of his decisions- almost all. And for the most part, for good reason. So, so far, similar page?

What I don't understand is why a discussion board like this is constantly taking about Benning. There are so many other things to discuss. Why do we feel a need to constantly focus on the most negative thing in the room when there are so many other negative things to discuss LOL. Oh yeah, and some exciting things to discuss too.

Can we sometimes just accept that he has been bad and talk about Canucks things other than him? I don't know, but that sounds more fun and possibly even more interesting.
That would be a more reasonable expectation if the opposition against that idea wasn't still so vocal about him not being bad. It would be easier to accept it and move on if the board as a whole actually had any interest in accepting it in the first place. Until then, the most negative thing that also happens to be the most hotly contested thing is always going to be the greatest focus in discussions. Until that changes, that's a pretty reasonable outcome that there isn't really a way around, nor should there be, really.

Also, asking that people talk around the thing that still has the greatest impact on the good or bad of the team when that thing is still as relevant and actively playing a significant role doesn't seem super reasonable to me.

If you're building a sand-castle and a baby repeatedly knocks it over, that baby's going to constantly come up in discussions about it. It would be strange if it didn't, frankly.
I think it's a form of self defense. When you engage in optimistic happy talk, you put yourself out there for disappointment. Normally, I'd be willing to risk it, but it's a tough thing to do because it's like talking about how excited you are about the new kitchen remodel, knowing full well that the foundation of your house is built on sand and the tide is coming in.

Some people are better than others at ignoring the elephant in the room. Namely, that whatever success this team enjoys in the near future will be undermined to some extent (the extent is debateable) by the incompetence and vanity of JB and AQ respectively.

So, sure, it's fun to speculate on the configuration of the top 9 and who ultimately pairs with whom on defense. I'll probably get into a bit when the season starts. But there's always going to be that elephant in my peripheral vision. Waiting for when it will take a giant crap or rampage across the room fills me with a certain sense of dread.
There's also the matter of whether or not you SHOULD ignore the elephant in the room. Not everybody believes that focusing on positives is a preferrable mindset, all else being equal, and would rather just call a spade a spade, regardless of how frequently it's pointed out, and the negativity involved isn't remotely a bother or something that makes them feel worse about the experience of discussing the team. Some people are REALLY resistant and annoyed by the tone of anything negative and only have so much tolerance for it (especially when they disagree with it), but nobody should feel obligated to cater to that, really.

And make no mistake, it is the constant negativity that annoys people who disagree with it, not the repetition of ideas that have been covered. If you repeat a positive that everyone agrees with over and over again, nobody ever complains about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

this is the NHL, doing your best isn’t always good enough.

Sometimes things don’t go your way fine it happens. But it’s sports and at the highest level doing your best isn’t valid or we could never talk or criticize anyone

Love that movie.

There's an interesting, in depth fan theory I've read before that says John Mason is actually James Bond. Disowned by the British government and left to rot in alcatraz.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

this seems a little premature. i am skeptical that any player is good at management by reason of playing the game, but i do not see any reason to doubt the sedins in particular. they were above average cerebral players and hard workers. you'd expect them to do better than many others.

also, i am sure messier can make tough personnel decisions, but nobody will let him near a gm position.

the real question is whether they really want to be gms. i feel like they were recruited here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad