News Article: Henrik Sedin on joining the Canucks front office and why the core group needs ‘to take charge’…

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm not a Benning fan, but I do hope he plays good hockey. I think if we OEL can be at least a serviceable top pairing guy and we have Hughes, we can have them on alternating pairing, that have dmans from the back that can actual generate offence. I'm not denying OEL is bad. His numbers clearly shows it. I recall watching a game between the Coyotes and Canucks at rogers arena back in 2019. OEL played like a superstar.
Every 12-15 games he looks like his old self, its the rest of the time thats indicated his decline.

But I'm sure he'll snap back to his 5 years ago prime with more mins and more bad partners. Surely.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Jesus christ does every thread have to devolve into Benning™? I hate the guy too but I'm not here to read the same 12 users opinion on the guy in every single thread we have on this board
Yeah, it is effing tedious. I am fairly blase about Jimbo. His signings of Beagle, Rous, Schaller, and Sutter were painful. But picking Boesser, Pete, Hughes, Hogs, and Podz have been brilliant. My twin (Chillybilly) thinks his drafting has been mediocre. I disagree.

But the same twelve guys who just reinforce each others opinions that he is devil incarnate is frustrating. It is like watching ignorant yanks convince themselves that Trump is going to be reinstated.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This topic is about management… sure say this in another thread, but this thread is about a member of the management team.
And if you want to take that posters word on "truth", well, if it's always the same 12 posters making posts they're tired of reading, there's this option called 'ignore list' and presto, problem solved.

Reactions: racerjoe

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not all 30 year olds are built the same. I know the sedins won art Ross trophies In their early 30s, guys like bieksa Edler and hamhius played very good hockey in their early 30s, however there are also dmans in there early 30s that struggle.

Those dmen who age well and play at a high level for a long time are usually pretty good at 'quarterbacking' the game and not getting injured. OEL does kind of fit the mold to be this kind of dman, but the real question is whether it's already too late or not. Looking at his injury history he'd been healthy most of his career but after signing his 8 year extension:

Feb 02, 2019 Missed 1 game (knee injury).
Feb 10, 2020 Missed 4 games (lower body injury).
Feb 11, 2021 Missed 10 games (lower body injury).

That's 3 years straight of missing games in February with knee/"lower body" injuries of increasing severity. If this is a contributing factor to his decline in play, then switching teams isn't going to do much for him. As fans though we don't have the details on things like this so we'll just have to wait and see.

My general opinion right now is like Tyler Myers at the very least OEL isn't a terrible dman like Sbisa or Gudbranson were. But likely will be highly overpaid vs the value he brings, both in acquisition cost and cap space. I'm looking at the "potato" blueline vs the Benning blueline:

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Stecher

vs

Hughes-Myers
OEL-Poolman

I don't really think the Benning setup makes us better, and while Edler's near-retirement is a problem that's easily countered by OEL's length contract. And more importantly minus Hughes the potato group costs $9.7M while Benning's costs $15.76M.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Not all 30 year olds are built the same. I know the sedins won art Ross trophies In their early 30s, guys like bieksa Edler and hamhius played very good hockey in their early 30s, however there are also dmans in there early 30s that struggle.
Really late 20s actually (Hank when he was 28 & Daniel was he was 29). Both started started full-time careers in the NHL early (19) but they were kind of eased into the lineup with the WCE line taking the "1st liner minutes" for their first four or five years (I'm guessing that limited the physical toll on their bodies).

I'm not sure of OEL's usage during his career. It's not just the age but how much mileage on their bodies. Course, you have anomolies like Luongo, who played a TON early on until 35+ (and still was at a fairly high level).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i like that henrik acknowledged up front that oel has had some down years. that is a subtle improvement over what i would have expected from linden early on, which would be a clumsy deflection of anything negative.

i do not expect anyone on the team to disclose the actual info and reasoning they relied upon to trade for oel. it is pretty obvious there would have been back channel communication involved. the degree of risk they have taken is going to remain unknown.

so to me, henrik's answer is about what you'd expect if the team knows it has taken an educated risk on this player and is not supremely confident it will work out. he's actually maybe a little bit less reassuring than i would expect, but i think that is his style.

Reactions: lawrence and MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya everyone is different. Jason Demers' offensive game completely disappeared when he turned 30 in the desert. Those that were considered at one time elite level players do tend to age better. But it also depends on the player's injury history.

OEL had offseason surgery before the start of the 2019-2020 season and he admitted to having rushed his way back. There is a chance that he needed more time to get back to where he was but it's possible that he has permanently lost a step due to injuries. We saw that happen with Roussel.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Quick question..........Do you honestly think that Benning has been pulling the wool over Aqualini's eyes for 7 years..?

Also, list me the trades that Benning lost since 2018 (Linden left)..

I think Aqualini has been pushing short-term plans and Benning has poorly executed on them.

Bad trades, we gave up Madden, a 2nd (and Schaller but not a loss) for 17 games of Toffoli. Significant long-term loss for a 17 games. Either there wasn't a plan to hold on to Toffoli which would be stupid or Benning couldn't re-sign a guy who wanted to be here and who signed for great value elsewhere.

Also, there might be more detail behind this but trading away Gaudette for what in all likelihood turns into nothing feels like a bad value trade, this smells like there are more details behind the scenes but since many Benning defenders justified trading away Madden because we had Gaudette, well, if Gaudette wasn't going to be a part of the picture then that magnifies the problem of trading away Madden.

The OEL one I think is an interesting debate...we're definitely better positioned for next season, but at what cost? We were one year away from getting rid of the cap disasters that Benning signed and we traded to take on another long-term cap overpayment that will go well into the decade. So while tactically the value might be debatably fair, strategically I'd worry that this trade makes up competitive to get into the playoff for next year but hinders our long-term potential to be a contender which IMO should be the litmus test.

And the criticism of Benning isn't limited to his trades so it's moving goalposts to limit his mistakes there, it's his cap management that's also been pathetic, and I'd list these as 2018-onwards bad decisions:

Gudbranson's $12 million / 3 years
Schaller $3.8 million / 2 years
Roussel $12 million / 4 years
Beagle $12 million / 4 years
Baertschi $10.1 million / 3 years
Myers $30 million / 5 years
Benn $4 million / 2 years
Holtby $8.6 million / 2 years
Ferland $14 million / 4 years
Pearson 9.75 million / 3 years
Virtanen $5.1 million / 2 years (I could kind of see the thinking with this but I think we should have traded him before, even without his off-ice issues that came out)
Poolman $10 million / 4 years (I'm hoping this one surprises us, but yeah, don't think I'm out of a limb by saying that the sense was that this was maybe $500k and a year too much)

So yeah, not a dramatic improvement of Benning's management 2018 onwards.

Can I ask a serious question- not trying to be funny.

OK, Benning has done a ton of horrible things and one or two good ones. He comes across as bumbling and is trying to hold onto his job- and this approach may not be in the best interest of the fans long term. A lot of people on this site have justifiably criticized many of his decisions- almost all. And for the most part, for good reason. So, so far, similar page?

What I don't understand is why a discussion board like this is constantly taking about Benning. There are so many other things to discuss. Why do we feel a need to constantly focus on the most negative thing in the room when there are so many other negative things to discuss LOL. Oh yeah, and some exciting things to discuss too.

Can we sometimes just accept that he has been bad and talk about Canucks things other than him? I don't know, but that sounds more fun and possibly even more interesting.

That sounds fair, but I think when the main goal of I'm assuming everyone here is for the Canucks to win the Cup and given Benning's track record it's a big question whether or not that will be possible as long as he's in charge it's natural that all discussions about our future will at some point come down to whether or not we buy into his vision and believe he has the ability to execute said vision.

For example, I'm excited about our core which is the reason why it's a stressful idea that Benning's mismanagement means we're squandering the competitive window while we have these guys on competitive below-market contracts. If not for the trading away of all the picks and prospects that Benning did and the handicapping of the cap with his Eriksson/Beagle/Sutter/Roussel etc fiascos then we could very likely have had a much stronger team, with a deeper pipeline that would make the most of having Petersson and Hughes on their ELC's and Miller and Horvat and Boeser while they were on good contracts. But that window is closing, and for what? And is there any evidence that we're learning from our mistakes?

Going into this season I'm excited by our forward group and feel good about our goaltending, our defence is generously a question mark...so that's something to build on. But it then comes back to whether there are signs that Benning has learned from his mistakes and can take this team from the lowly goal of just squeaking into the playoffs versus taking the next step to upgrade to a contender, and how will he do that with the OEL and Myers eating up so much? Is it possible, I think with the right management, yes, and I'd love for nothing more than us to make that segue, but it does feel like next season will be better because Benning sacrificed the future so where is the evidence that he'll be able to make shrewd moves when Toffoli and his "day by day" admittance shows he doesn't have a big picture thinking capability?

People are free to talk about what they want, and I think a lot of people here are to talk about how to build a winning team, and that yes will come down to whether the evidence suggests Benning can do that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think Aqualini has been pushing short-term plans and Benning has poorly executed on them.

Bad trades, we gave up Madden, a 2nd (and Schaller but not a loss) for 17 games of Toffoli. Significant long-term loss for a 17 games. Either there wasn't a plan to hold on to Toffoli which would be stupid or Benning couldn't re-sign a guy who wanted to be here and who signed for great value elsewhere.

Also, there might be more detail behind this but trading away Gaudette for what in all likelihood turns into nothing feels like a bad value trade, this smells like there are more details behind the scenes but since many Benning defenders justified trading away Madden because we had Gaudette, well, if Gaudette wasn't going to be a part of the picture then that magnifies the problem of trading away Madden.

The OEL one I think is an interesting debate...we're definitely better positioned for next season, but at what cost? We were one year away from getting rid of the cap disasters that Benning signed and we traded to take on another long-term cap overpayment that will go well into the decade. So while tactically the value might be debatably fair, strategically I'd worry that this trade makes up competitive to get into the playoff for next year but hinders our long-term potential to be a contender which IMO should be the litmus test.

And the criticism of Benning isn't limited to his trades so it's moving goalposts to limit his mistakes there, it's his cap management that's also been pathetic, and I'd list these as 2018-onwards bad decisions:

Gudbranson's $12 million / 3 years
Schaller $3.8 million / 2 years
Roussel $12 million / 4 years
Beagle $12 million / 4 years
Baertschi $10.1 million / 3 years
Myers $30 million / 5 years
Benn $4 million / 2 years
Holtby $8.6 million / 2 years
Ferland $14 million / 4 years
Pearson 9.75 million / 3 years
Virtanen $5.1 million / 2 years (I could kind of see the thinking with this but I think we should have traded him before, even without his off-ice issues that came out)
Poolman $10 million / 4 years (I'm hoping this one surprises us, but yeah, don't think I'm out of a limb by saying that the sense was that this was maybe $500k and a year too much)

So yeah, not a dramatic improvement of Benning's management 2018 onwards.

So, I'm assuming you think JB has been pulling the wool over Aqua's eyes for the last 7 years..

Of course we have to see what Madden turns into...but the actual trade for Toffoli was'nt terrible..the failure was in his inability to re sign him after the season..The trade in isolation was fine.

Gaudette/Highmore is just an exchange of fringe players the rest of the league has very little interest in ..Your claim that JB has lost ' practically every trade'..is outright garbage...

OEL/Garland..TBD

His poor cap management, and some UFA signings are fair game to criticized.

Reactions: F A N

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
So, I'm assuming you think JB has been pulling the wool over Aqua's eyes for the last 7 years..

Of course we have to see what Madden turns into...but the actual trade for Toffoli was'nt terrible..the failure was in his inability to re sign him after the season..The trade in isolation was fine.

Gaudette/Highmore is just an exchange of fringe players the rest of the league has very little interest in ..Your claim that JB has lost ' practically every trade'..is outright garbage...

OEL/Garland..TBD

His poor cap management, and some UFA signings are fair game to criticized.

That's fair, I'm guilty of hyperbole on Benning's recent trades.

So he went from bad at trades to middling.

Still bad at cap management and UFA signings.

Mixed bag on drafts relative to where he drafted.

That's honestly the best anyone can say of him after all these years. He's just a bad GM, and if our honest goal is to win the Stanley Cup, that's not going to cut it.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Jesus christ does every thread have to devolve into Benning™? I hate the guy too but I'm not here to read the same 12 users opinion on the guy in every single thread we have on this board

I wish I could like this more than once. . It’s mind numbing how many one track minds there are on NucksHF

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
What I don't understand is why a discussion board like this is constantly taking about Benning. There are so many other things to discuss. Why do we feel a need to constantly focus on the most negative thing in the room when there are so many other negative things to discuss LOL. Oh yeah, and some exciting things to discuss too.

Can we sometimes just accept that he has been bad and talk about Canucks things other than him? I don't know, but that sounds more fun and possibly even more interesting.

I think it's a form of self defense. When you engage in optimistic happy talk, you put yourself out there for disappointment. Normally, I'd be willing to risk it, but it's a tough thing to do because it's like talking about how excited you are about the new kitchen remodel, knowing full well that the foundation of your house is built on sand and the tide is coming in.

Some people are better than others at ignoring the elephant in the room. Namely, that whatever success this team enjoys in the near future will be undermined to some extent (the extent is debateable) by the incompetence and vanity of JB and AQ respectively.

So, sure, it's fun to speculate on the configuration of the top 9 and who ultimately pairs with whom on defense. I'll probably get into a bit when the season starts. But there's always going to be that elephant in my peripheral vision. Waiting for when it will take a giant crap or rampage across the room fills me with a certain sense of dread.

Reactions: MarkMM and tyhee

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I think it's a form of self defense. When you engage in optimistic happy talk, you put yourself out there for disappointment. Normally, I'd be willing to risk it, but it's a tough thing to do because it's like talking about how excited you are about the new kitchen remodel, knowing full well that the foundation of your house is built on sand and the tide is coming in.

Some people are better than others at ignoring the elephant in the room. Namely, that whatever success this team enjoys in the near future will be undermined to some extent (the extent is debateable) by the incompetence and vanity of JB and AQ respectively.

So, sure, it's fun to speculate on the configuration of the top 9 and who ultimately pairs with whom on defense. I'll probably get into a bit when the season starts. But there's always going to be that elephant in my peripheral vision. Waiting for when it will take a giant crap or rampage across the room fills me with a certain sense of dread.
Especially after SEVEN seasons of this. If you or I were a top level manager of a publicaly trading company, you don't think the shareholders would be demanding heads to roll after a couple bad quarters (let alone years)?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Especially after SEVEN seasons of this. If you or I were a top level manager of a publicaly trading company, you don't think the shareholders would be demanding heads to roll after a couple bad quarters (let alone years)?

are the canuck's not profitable?

i mean if you equate on ice performance with return on investment, shareholders typically interested in short term gain would not be investing in a business model hamstrung by anti-competitive market constraints like the salary cap and restricted free agency. i'd actually say a big part of the canucks on ice problem is they are run like a public company with too much focus on the short term balance sheet. fear of losing corporate season ticket holders during a full rebuild drove a lot of decision making from loui to beagle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad