Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe this is why they drafted Lindbom. As highly regarded as Shesty is, ya' just never know. For as few a 7th round goaltender successes there are (Hank) there are thousands that have not. Hoping Shesty isn't one of those. Ergo, Lindbom. And I am on record for not "understanding" the position of the pick, not the player. I suppose its an insurance policy.

This is also the reason I want them to go after Demchenko

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Imagine if Hank had a legit star defenseman in front of him. What would his numbers be like if he had someone like Lidstrom/Chara etc. on the ice half the game instead of the bottom/mid pair scrubs he's had to deal with his whole career.

I wonder the same thing all the time. They've had several defensemen over Lundqvist's career play well enough within the team system and with Lundqvist backing them up but never had that elite level defenseman other than a short time with McDonagh. Guys who carved out good NHL careers but were often played in roles above their ability (not their fault obviously) and reliant on Lundqvist to bail them out which Rangers fans have seen him do thousands of times over his career. Girardi led the Rangers' defensemen in points one year. Girardi!

And drafting defensemen and then developing them into quality long term Rangers has been part of the problem even before Lundqvist was here. Zubov, Norstrom and Johnsson were sent packing in trades early in their Ranger careers and played on top pairs for other franchises. They had bad luck with Sauer and Kloucek who were injury victims. Sanguinetti and McIlrath barely played at the NHL level at all. Del Zotto had two good years but didn't even last one year under Vigneault and was traded.

They don't have to become future HOFers but I'm hoping for better success with prospects like Lindgren, Lundkvist, Hajek and Miller.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
To whom it applies to, I hope* nobody here:

There is no excuse for anyone throwing shade at Richter or Lundqvist at all.

At all.

Not over 1 goal or 10.

**** your opinion and also your right to vote. Thank you for ****ing up real life AND the internet for anyone with a working brain.

I'm not sorry, if these creatures are "entitled" to their opinion, then so am I and the above is most strongly mine.
I think most everyone here is pretty clear-minded in Hank. He’s the best ever. At least the best we’ve had. Richter was great too. And in an era that was probably a bit tougher for goalies.
Any “issue” I have *near* Henrik is with the narrative that he’s ‘stressed out’ and/or a ‘victim’ (of poor defense). But I am confident Henrik doesn’t feel victimized or stressed out. It’s just projected on him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe this is why they drafted Lindbom. As highly regarded as Shesty is, ya' just never know. For as few a 7th round goaltender successes there are (Hank) there are thousands that have not. Hoping Shesty isn't one of those. Ergo, Lindbom. And I am on record for not "understanding" the position of the pick, not the player. I suppose its an insurance policy.
I don’t mind them drafting Lindbom. Just that they took him so high. Same with McIlrath. It’s poor draft management. I guess it’s ok to reach if the guy’s going to be a star. But we’ve seen some reach-misses, amirite?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I don’t mind them drafting Lindbom. Just that they took him so high. Same with McIlrath. It’s poor draft management. I guess it’s ok to reach if the guy’s going to be a star. But we’ve seen some reach-misses, amirite?
Yeah, basically was my main p.o.v. We supposedly could have had him in the 3rd round. We BLEW a huge opportunity in taking a "home run" swing. Oh well, mostly swings and misses anyway.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Okay, I trust you. Never heard of him, sorry. Wanna educate me?

24 year old Russian goalie who plays for Traktor. He's undrafted, but this season has really taken that next step. He went from being a backup, to being a 1B goalie to now being the starter and consistently hovering around a .930 sv%, while facing more shots than guys like Shestyorkin and Sorokin. That's what intrigues me about him. The work load shows that he is capable of handling heavy duty. Something that is still a question mark with Shestyorkin

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
I'd bbe shocked if Henrik retires after this deal. Guys still got game.
He got PRP injections in his knees this summer. Is he playing in a sustainable way? That's my only concern. And he hasn't exactly had an easy season in terms of TOI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad