Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
What a moron that guy is, that triggered me tbh.
pissed my gf as well. bet that guy hasnt seen but 2 hank games his entire life.....what a loser. crawford is good, not gonna bash him but hes had awesome teams that can score in front of him. hank hasnt. anybody that even thinks for 1 second that hank was the reason we didnt beat the kings, or years we lost to pitt. devils or the caps doesnt have a clue.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
What do you mean? Is Hank consistent when the team has structure? What a revelation. From Renney to Quinn, you always had a bailout. Unless you want to play a chicken coop system and blame it on the goaltending. Ruh-roh! Bye Vigneault. Thank you for spinning the franchise into a premature rebuild. About the worst coaching I've ever witnessed.
without alain, we arent where we are. had we won a cup though, he may still be here and we would probably still have mcdonough, cally, etc.......who knows. everything happens for a reason, and i for one, am happy where we are right now. exciting future.
hank made the right move for himself though by staying......he will forever go down in the laurels of rangers history as the best goaltender theyve had.......cup or no cup. wasnt his fault, all hes done is carry this club to i think 12 consecutive playoff appearances.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
re: Henrik Lundqvist in the Hall of Fame

Ask yourself which Cup winner since 2005 (and roster in front of the goalie) would've lost with Lundqvist in net instead of whoever their goalie is.

None.

Ask yourself which Rangers team had a better, or even remotely close, roster to any Cup winner since 2005-6.

None.

Ask yourself which goaltender since 2005-6 has been more consistent, won more games, or had better game 7's/elimination games than Lundqvist.

None.

There's no case against Lundqvist's entrance into the Hall.

None.

It's asinine.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He’s first-ballot worthy to me, but it also depends on when he retires and when other first-ballot types retire. I’m going to assume Henrik retires before Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, but after Chara and Thornton. Then it starts to get gray. Is Keith a first ballot? Marleau? Getzlaf? Staal? Burns? Kovalchuk?

I’m concerned with some recent inductees - Andreychuk, Sundin and now talk of Alfredsson — and the anti-NY bias will hurt Henrik’s chances for first ballot.

A Cup or another Vezina will lock up a first ballot. I hope he keeps up his play all season because he could have won an additional one somewhere between 2007 and 2013.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
In my opinion he already has a 1st ballot selection locked up.I cant fathom how anyone in their right mind with even a simple understanding of hockey can look at his body of work and claim "Hall of Very Good"

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It seems like some people think a knuckle puck blast, top shelf, that a shooter gets all of, is now an easy read for a goaltender?

It’s fair to break down what type of shot it was, where it was from. Hank talked about it in the post game. OEL ripped it. A knucklepuck that was a blast and perfectly placed top corner. To act as if this was some floater from the blue line unscreened is what some of these comments reflect. A total joke.

I especially find it funny that random people (looking at you @shinchanuuhh) surface for what seems the first time this season yet are no where to be found when Hank has been in absolute beast since the start of the season.

This is classic behavior of many who love to show up in threads only when specific players have bad games or only to post something negative about a player.

The timing of when the goal was scored, the fact that it tied the game and eventually lead to a loss is what those harp on, without even trying to look at it in a vacuum for what it actually was.

You take that same shot, with the Rangers up 5-0 and a few minutes left in the 3rd and no one is killing Hank for it. It’s situational, and because it hurt some fans, they irrationally look to place blame on a sole player without recognizing the team as a whole for failing in multiple areas, especially forgetting how to play hockey in the 3rd period.

Blah blah blah, typical nevesis talking points.

Blah blah blah everyone just has an agenda, it couldn't possibly be that someone besides nevesis has a correct analysis

Blah blah blah typical swipe at anyone who could feel different

Blah blah blah blame every1 else, perfect shot, no mere mortal could save the Zeusian knuckler

Stay tuned for more of the exact same thing when the rangers face off against the golden knights!

Last edited:
Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I especially find it funny that random people (looking at you @shinchanuuhh) surface for what seems the first time this season yet are no where to be found when Hank has been in absolute beast since the start of the season.

This is classic behavior of many who love to show up in threads only when specific players have bad games or only to post something negative about a player.
[

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/search/3199203/?page=15

That's 15 pages of me showing up in GDT's, PGT's and other threads since the start of the season.

Yup

Hank was king.

This reminded me of games where people thought we had better teams then we did so even though Hank would play like a God people would go "He got outplayed!!!" with no regard for quality of shots faced or anything. I don't have any idea if people did that for this game but while watching I was thinking that this was the type of game where those kinds of people would straighten their ties and take the spotlight.

You got me

13 seasons: 7 with 35+ wins. 11 with 30+ wins. 12 with 25+ wins.
The only time he failed to get above 25 wins? He got 24...in the shortened season. LOL.
10 seasons below a 2.5. 9 below a 2.4. 7 below a 2.3.
Started 60+ games in 9 seasons. Started at least half his team's games in all 13 seasons

Playoffs? 11 times.
Sub 2.3 GAA 7 times. Sub 2.2 5 times.

2 of 11 times his GAA was above 4. Once it was 3 exactly.

Want to compare peak seasons? Both guys were gods. Want to compare careers? Price is a JOKE compared to Lundqvist.
Only here to post negative stuff

Oh yea and hank was god.
I certainly never say anything good about his game this year
Hank stood on his head and rotated from nose to occipital bone to make every save.

Aaaaand of course in the literal post you obviously failed to read completely

The loss is not solely Hank's fault, I'm not even mad about the loss, he made some amazing saves like the one in OT.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I think McDonagh’s goal against Tampa was way more egregious than OEL’s. A knucklepuck bomb perfectly placed is going in on most goalies and Hank has a particular weakness for ‘changeups’ and accidental funky releases (guy tries to roof the puck a million mph and it slides off stick going 2 mph and manages to just slip under Hanks pad).

Hank’s focus is a little off though. Usually he would read the play of Arizona’s second goal and would most likely save it. Instead he seemed surprised by Archibald being where he was and receiving the pass. Then, instead of playing Archibald and his shot, Hank seemed to anticipate Stepan’s pass to keep going past Archibald and is opening his legs to slide and cover the center of the net (defensive mechanism- when unsure where the pass is going, cover the middle?) instead of standing his ground towards the left of the net for the quick shot from 10 feet away. The puck ends up shot by Archibald just as Hank is opening his legs to needlessly slide, and it ends up going right through his legs.

On the surface it’s the coverage leaving the guy to shoot the puck(still a problem), but that’s a save Hank usually makes look easy.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Blah blah blah, typical nevesis talking points.

Blah blah blah everyone just has an agenda, it couldn't possibly be that someone besides nevesis has a correct analysis

Blah blah blah typical swipe at anyone who could feel different

Blah blah blah blame every1 else, perfect shot, no mere mortal could save the Zeusian knuckler

Stay tuned for more of the exact same thing when the rangers face off against the golden knights!

And here's the thing: If we believe this explanation that these shots are simply unstoppable, why even pay a goalie 8.5m? What's the point? Just pay 5m for a different goalie, and spend more on defense to take these shots away.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Well, that's kind of on Lundqvist, for refusing to be traded, but records aren't everything. That he wants to stay a Ranger his entire career should be worth something.
How exactly does a player get 500 wins with a single team if that team trades him before he gets to 500?

And @Machinehead I could totally see him getting to 500 wins over the next 3 years. Even with this garbage in front of him, 9 more this year and then 25 each in next and the year after seems totally plausible barring injury.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
How exactly does a player get 500 wins with a single team if that team trades him before he gets to 500?

And @Machinehead I could totally see him getting to 500 wins over the next 3 years. Even with this garbage in front of him, 9 more this year and then 25 each in next and the year after seems totally plausible barring injury.
Yeah, sure and I can see how the tone of my post was perceived. What I mean is, Hank will never win a cup, indirectly from that his records will suffer. That's kind of my bummer, but I'm fine with it now, he wants to be a Ranger for life, I can respect that, for his loyalty, talent, commitment and die hard spirit. He never accepted a loss - and still doesn't and it's almost kind of funny how he's keeping a rebuilding team from getting the lottery pick. If NYR had a normal goalie that refuses to lose, they would be in lottery contention by now. Hank doesn't care, he wants a playoff spot.

What he has done, under the circumstances he has done it, so consistently, is truly remarkable. He has not exactly had the benefit of playing behind anything close to a dynasty, but he has made the team respectable for a long time - and almost succeeded in carrying home the Cup. If only some other players would've been close to be an equal Conn Smythe candidate on the team? Nope. None such luxury. All winners have at least three. NYR had one. And they still almost won it.

I don't know how many nights I've watched the Rangers play for over a decade and think: "They're getting absolutely dominated. This is depressing to watch. How the... oh, Lundqvist refuses to lose." And they won, somehow. That kind of summarizes most of his career. Especially in the playoffs.

His GSAA (Goals Saved Against Average) in his career against other goalies is like, you have Lundqvist at the top of Mount Everest. Then you have a bunch of goalies climbing the highest peak in Europe, at like less than half of that. The further advanced goalie stats develop, the more people will understand just how special Hank has been in his career.

NYR are second behind Pittsburgh in playoff games played during Hank's career. So there's also that. Well, NYR never exactly had Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, etc. They had... McDonagh, but not really close to that level of players?

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
By the way (I'm old and patient enough to spell out the whole words instead of "btw", because it looks like linguistic manure and we need effort and patience), is this the time to resurrect the thread about Hank's new contract? Let's just say he has earned it, like no other Ranger. Overpayment? Only if you're coached by Vigneault. And oh, about patience? I'm writing this on a PS4. My phone is an old Nokia from 1993.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
The man is so under-appreciated on this forum. Aside from a few poor stretches the last two years his level of play and quality of saves is just incredible. His play this season has been amazing despite this roster. I can't imagine the conversation if we had a good team with a strong defense.

But the one thing that really flies under the radar is his consistency. You look at Price, Crawford, Quick and Schneider as examples of how hard it's for goalies to sustain a high level of play. I wouldn't be surprised if people were singing a different tune in 3-5 years on Gibson, Holtby, Vasilevsky etc.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The man is so under-appreciated on this forum. Aside from a few poor stretches the last two years his level of play and quality of saves is just incredible. His play this season has been amazing despite this roster. I can't imagine the conversation if we had a good team with a strong defense.

But the one thing that really flies under the radar is his consistency. You look at Price, Crawford, Quick and Schneider as examples of how hard it's for goalies to sustain a high level of play. I wouldn't be surprised if people were singing a different tune in 3-5 years on Gibson, Holtby, Vasilevsky etc.
I think we all appreciate the quality of goaltender Hank is. There's just some who can admit when he has a bad game and some who can't.

In Hank's defense, because he's a goaltender, it's amplified when he has an off-game than when, let's say, Connor McDavid drops an egg.

As a whole, he's top 10 in GSAA this year, which is incredible at his age.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
What annoys me more than anything is that posters have to call out and examine Hank’s “bad games.” It’s one thing to say, “Not his best. Move on.” But it’s rarely ever that. It’s the emotional roller coasters and the heavy criticism he faces.

Meanwhile, it is quietly and often said very nonchalantly, “We all know Hank is/was one of the best goalies in the NHL...” followed usually with a negative.

That is what drives me nuts. In my opinion he is the greatest goalie to ever put on the NYR emblem.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
What annoys me more than anything is that posters have to call out and examine Hank’s “bad games.” It’s one thing to say, “Not his best. Move on.” But it’s rarely ever that. It’s the emotional roller coasters and the heavy criticism he faces.

Meanwhile, it is quietly and often said very nonchalantly, “We all know Hank is/was one of the best goalies in the NHL...” followed usually with a negative.

That is what drives me nuts. In my opinion he is the greatest goalie to ever put on the NYR emblem.
I don't think the last point is even a question. Imho he's one of the 5 best of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad