Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
maybe if you didn't let a weak wrist shot from the blueline go in during OT in game 3 of the ECF in 2015, you might have a cup by now.
You think if the Rangers go up 2-1 in that series that they win the Cup? They ended up 2-2 leaving Tampa anyway. Give me a break. That series went to Game 7 at home and the team got shut out. Is that Lundqvist's fault too? The guy is a Hall of Famer who is even better in the playoffs than the regular season and this is the garbage that some of fanbase spews about him.

I hate to break it to the Lundqvist hate brigade, but he elevated the team at every turn. He made bubble teams into playoff teams, first round fodder into second round teams, mid range playoff teams in ECF appearances and so on. Even last season he won a series on his own at 35 with garbage in front of him.

And if we're going to be technical about it, the shot was from the top of the circle in the high slot from Kucherov who has one of the best wrist shots in the game. Dude's release is so deceptive it's on another level.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Oh Henry. Guy wants to be here through a rebuild but every goal tonight outside of the penalty shot he stared down and yelled at his defenseman. I don’t think he realizes two things

A. This is the type of team he will play behind the next season as well
B. You are allowed to make a save through a screen.

If you don’t like the body’s in front of you then slash guys ankles yourself.

Just ask out already. I can’t watch his reactions anymore. This is what all next season is going to be like Hank prepare

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Oh Henry. Guy wants to be here through a rebuild but every goal tonight outside of the penalty shot he stared down and yelled at his defenseman. I don’t think he realizes two things

Just ask out already. I can’t watch his reactions anymore. This is what all next season is going to be like Hank prepare
A heck of a lot easier said than done.

Also, no. You don't slash the guy in front of you just to see better. There is a reason other players exist on the team. And that is to clear the crease/prevent them from even getting there in the first place. Neither of which the players on this team have been good at doing for...years.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Jeff Gorton should be fired for this train wreck. We are 5 years away from making the playoffs. Hank is done!

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It’s a fair question and one that’s come up before on here.

In my mind, Lundqvist is a notch below that. Elite, definite Hall of Fame player. But not quite in that rarified next level.

I’ve always felt there are very, very few guys in that category.
He's the 2nd best goalie I've ever seen. Hasek 1, Henrik 2.

To me...personally...its not even a question.

The product in front of him has been so atrocious for so long it's easy to see why people don't even recognize his greatness...its just par for the course.

Reactions: nevesis

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
He's the 2nd best goalie I've ever seen. Hasek 1, Henrik 2.

To me...personally...its not even a question.

The product in front of him has been so atrocious for so long it's easy to see why people don't even recognize his greatness...its just par for the course.
That is a bold statement. He is definitely one of the greatest goalies of all time, I'm just not sure exactly where I would rank him when all is said and done.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Jeff Gorton should be fired for this train wreck. We are 5 years away from making the playoffs. Hank is done!
Every post you make looks like a Trump tweet.

The team as constructed last season wasn't good enough to win anything, and our farm was barren. This is what a rebuild looks like. If you don't have the fortitude to handle it, go jump on some other team's bandwagon.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Or you don’t realize that it’s part of his job to help teach these guys how to succeed at this level. Sometimes that means telling them they misplayed a situation right after the goal goes in.

Luckily I don’t think our young d men are as fragile as people on here think they are

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It’s a fair question and one that’s come up before on here.

In my mind, Lundqvist is a notch below that. Elite, definite Hall of Fame player. But not quite in that rarified next level.

I’ve always felt there are very, very few guys in that category.

It warms my heart to see someone take the generational label seriously.

That said, I think I would need to do some soul-searching to determine if I would put Hank in that category or not.

My first instinct says 'yes', but he's quite probably my favourite athlete of all time, so there's almost certainly some bias sneaking in.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I stated it before and I continue to think that the King belong in the same echelon with Hasek, Roy and Brodeur. The only pause I have with drawing this line is where Luongo fits.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It warms my heart to see someone take the generational label seriously.

That said, I think I would need to do some soul-searching to determine if I would put Hank in that category or not.

My first instinct says 'yes', but he's quite probably my favourite athlete of all time, so there's almost certainly some bias sneaking in.

I feel like generational has become a buzz word that is thrown around way too loosely these days.

As for Lundqvist, I don't feel particularly impassioned to disagree with someone if they include Lundqvist in the generational category. I can at least see the points of their argument, even if my guy reaction is to still say he's a notch below that.

Reactions: haveandare

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
If you're familiar with the many statistics over the course of his career, advanced and otherwise...(do I really need to post them again?) that proves Hank is one of the greatest ever, doesn't feel the need to argue with people over their personal opinions on him.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. The statistics and accolades speak for themselves, and he's not done yet.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not sure anyone argues that Lundqvist is an all-time great goalie, future Hall of Famer or elite.

The debate is whether he is generational, which is even smaller slice of the pie that encompassed all of the descriptors I mentioned above.

Generational to me is a guy who redefines a position or the game, or is so far beyond his peers that he looks like he's playing a different game than everyone else.

Can't really say that those aspects pop into mind when I think of Lundqvist. Which isn't a knock against his greatness.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Not sure anyone argues that Lundqvist is an all-time great goalie, future Hall of Famer or elite.

The debate is whether he is generational, which is even smaller slice of the pie that encompassed all of the descriptors I mentioned above.

Generational to me is a guy who redefines a position or the game, or is so far beyond his peers that he looks like he's playing a different game than everyone else.

Can't really say that those aspects pop into mind when I think of Lundqvist. Which isn't a knock against his greatness.
DXnKk9WVoAA0bT6.jpg

^This is from March 6th.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Like I said, I can't say I feel particularly passionate about arguing against someone viewing him as generational. I think you can present a solid case.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think we've almost come to forget just how amazing the body of Lunqvist's career truly is, and how rare of a talent he is.

He was great in his rookie year and has been great ever since. The longevity and sustained excellence is amazing when you really take a look at it. His level of play has become a baseline expectation, and I think that's why people "forget" how amazing he's been.

What's unfair, particularly in this day and age, is people remember the grand moments. Richter will always be revered thanks to '94. By no means did he have any sort of sustained level of excellence over several years. In fact, after a long hiatus, I recently got back into watching some early-mid 90's Rangers games and, my goodness, Richter allowed some awful awful goals at the most inopportune times. But it gets whitewashed thanks to that Cup.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think I might be reading this wrong.

According to the chart linked below from hockey reference, Hank was 10th in the league in GSAA in 13-14, but this chart makes it appear as though he was first in the league by a huge margin. Is this chart incorrect or am I interpreting it wrong?

2013-14 NHL Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com
It's cumulative to display longevity and consistency

Reactions: haveandare
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad