Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
WOW. If true, that’s not how that was supposed to come out.

inmean I think we all knew he had played his last game as a Ranger. It’s still not clear whether that means buyout and go somewhere else buyout and retire or outright retire. From that it sounds like hank wasn’t sure at the time either

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I know we could use the cap space.. But the reality is setting in and my heart can’t handle it.
giphy.gif

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I know we could use the cap space.. But the reality is setting in and my heart can’t handle it.
giphy.gif

So true. He's been such a great Ranger for so long. Love the guy as a player and person. I would love to see him lift the cup somewhere if it's not going to be here and the cap space will certainly help.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
giphy.gif
Man, the idea of Hank leaving just hits different for me. I know some fans who are younger and missed some of his career or some who are older and have seen players come and go may feel differently but I was 15 when Hank first played a game for the Rangers and now I'm almost 31 and it looks like that's it. Hank leaving just sucks.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Man, the idea of Hank leaving just hits different for me. I know some fans who are younger and missed some of his career or some who are older and have seen players come and go may feel differently but I was 15 when Hank first played a game for the Rangers and now I'm almost 31 and it looks like that's it. Hank leaving just sucks.
Nah, I don't think it really hits all that different. It's just that we've seen...

...Don Mattingly retire the year before the Yanks went on their dynastic run...

...Patrick Ewing (while we were still Knicks fans ;)) finish his career in Seattle and Orlando...

...Brian Leetch traded on his Birthday...

...so we're a bit inured to it. :)

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Nah, I don't think it really hits all that different. It's just that we've seen...

...Don Mattingly retire the year before the Yanks went on their dynastic run...

...Patrick Ewing (while we were still Knicks fans ;)) finish his career in Seattle and Orlando...

...Brian Leetch traded on his Birthday...

...so we're a bit inured to it. :)

Man I lived through each one of those things and all those guys you just mentioned were my favorite players, growing up, in their respective sports. I'm not into sports as much as I was but Henrik's tenure ending still has me kind of melancholy.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I was at Henrik’s first preseason game. I’ve seen every one of his games. I’m not sad to see him go. I’m happy to have witnessed it all. Amazing career. It’s been a privilege. but I want this team to win and I said 3 years ago during the Ottawa series that we would not sniff the playoffs again with him as our number 1. I am extremely excited about the new era.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think the only thing I’m sad about is that he didn’t win a cup here. Although trading Amonte and Gartner was the first time I felt any type of heartbreak, Messier going to Vancouver was my first true major heartbreak with the Rangers. That one hurt. Gretzky was my idol and his retirement hurt too. Saw Leetch get traded behind his back on his birthday, days after telling Sather not to trade him. That one stung, but I understood it.

While this sucks, it needs to happen and the future is so bright here. It’s hard for me to get down knowing what’s coming.

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
What Hajek said about HL was awesome.

Lundqvist didn’t rely on just talent. He was the 1st one on the ice and the last one off. He was always practicing to try and be his best.

literally feels like yesterday when he made his debut. Where the f***ing f*** have the last 15 years gone.....?!

Nah, all his teammates hate him because of the stares :rolleyes:

Reactions: nyrleetch

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Too bad the CBA does not allow contract restructuring. IDK but maybe Hank would take 2-3 million less for his final year in order to stay and let the team keep some of their players.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I wonder if mutual contract termination would be an option like Byfuglien in Winnipeg. It would save the team and Hank an embarrassing look and it would save the team a buyout and dead cap next year and the year after. Then Hank could go try to find a team to play for, but with an oversaturated goalie market, I really have to wonder if there’s even a fit for him at this point. There are so many younger options that have all been playing regularly. I also wonder if he even actually wants to play elsewhere, considering he refused to waive his NMC 2 years in a row.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wonder if mutual contract termination would be an option like Byfuglien in Winnipeg. It would save the team and Hank an embarrassing look and it would save the team a buyout and dead cap next year and the year after. Then Hank could go try to find a team to play for, but with an oversaturated goalie market, I really have to wonder if there’s even a fit for him at this point. There are so many younger options that have all been playing regularly. I also wonder if he even actually wants to play elsewhere, considering he refused to waive his NMC 2 years in a row.

its not an option...he would just retire.

and I don't remember any evidence that the rangers ever asked him to waive his NMC. they would have only asked if they had a trade to make.

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I also wonder if he even actually wants to play elsewhere, considering he refused to waive his NMC 2 years in a row.

bingo - he likes being a celebrity goalie with an emphasis on the former. Kids in school, etc, he’s not going anywhere.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
its not an option...he would just retire.

and I don't remember any evidence that the rangers ever asked him to waive his NMC. they would have only asked if they had a trade to make.

They never asked him to waive his NMC, but they gave him the option to grant them "permission" to explore trades, if he decided he wanted to chase a Cup. It was up to him for them to even do that, which was the absolute right way to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad