Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Hmm, what's the contingency I'm overlooking?
I think it only applies to contracts signed before the recapture rule was brought in, but I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure Cap Friendly ruled on this though.

Reactions: Krams

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think the change they made in the Memorandum of Understanding eliminated the recapture. That was the change that reduced the recapture on Weber, but I'm not sure of the details.
It didn't eliminate recapture, but it limited the charge that a team can have in one season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hmm, what's the contingency I'm overlooking?

The section before it says

"For any SPC entered into prior to the execution date of this
Agreement (including any binding Memorandum of
Understanding) that has a term in excess of six (6) League Years
("Long-Term Contracts"), the Averaged Amount of such Long-
Term Contracts shall be calculated and included in a Club's
Averaged Club Salary in accordance with Section 50.5(d)(ii) above
so long as the Player is playing or is injured and is being paid
pursuant to his SPC."

In other words, it only applies to 6+ year contracts signed before the new CBA for 12-13. Hank's deal was signed after that. I made the same mistake too.

Reactions: Leetch3 and Krams

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure if he retires he still counts for $3M against the cap.

No, he doesn't. The cap recapture penalty for retirement on long contracts only applies to contracts signed under the previous CBA for a duration of 6 years or longer. Lundqvist signed his contract in 2014, under the current CBA

@Amazing Kreiderman Sorry, but I’m gonna have the rub the magic lamp and bother you for this one.

You think I am a genie you can just summon at a moment's notice? :laugh:

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I thought that applied to contracts signed to players 34 and older. When did that change?
I can't find anything on how the penalty relates to age, but I remember the implications of the penalty have been discussed at length regarding Shea Weber and he was younger than 34 at the time of signing

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I thought that applied to contracts signed to players 34 and older. When did that change?

You are referring to the 35+ rule, where a contract signed after the age of 35 counts at the cap 100% even if a player retires or is bought out (Datsyuk, Marleau etc)

I can't find anything on how the penalty relates to age, but I remember the implications of the penalty have been discussed at length regarding Shea Weber and he was younger than 34 at the time of signing

And his contract was signed under the old CBA. The cap recapture was part of the negotiations for the CBA signed in the 2012-13 season. With the max limit being brought down to 8 years (7 for free agents) they had to do something. But the cap recapture on those long-term deals only applies to old CBA deals

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

It doesn't relate to age. The 35+ rule does, but is a completely different thing.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I think it only applies to contracts signed before the recapture rule was brought in, but I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure Cap Friendly ruled on this though.

The section before it says

"For any SPC entered into prior to the execution date of this
Agreement (including any binding Memorandum of
Understanding) that has a term in excess of six (6) League Years
("Long-Term Contracts"), the Averaged Amount of such Long-
Term Contracts shall be calculated and included in a Club's
Averaged Club Salary in accordance with Section 50.5(d)(ii) above
so long as the Player is playing or is injured and is being paid
pursuant to his SPC."

In other words, it only applies to 6+ year contracts signed before the new CBA for 12-13. Hank's deal was signed after that. I made the same mistake too.
Thanks. Great news then. What is the change that was made that would apply to players who signed their contract after 12-13? I know there was also a revision recently in how the penalty is calculated, I remember it impacting Luongo's cap hit.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Any word on how a buyout would impact the cap under the 35+ Recapture LTIR rule? :sarcasm:

Reactions: mike14

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I maintain that Igor's first game against Colorado was one of my most surreal moments of my Rangers fandom, besides Leetch being traded.

Like we knew it had to come to an end for Hank sometime but he was involved in basically every Ranger memory I have that I can recall besides a few before 2004. Watching Igor take over in real time was like foreign territory for me. I really haven't known a Hank-less Rangers in a long time (if whatever braincells I have left can even recall them lol). It's something, I guess.
consider yourself blessed. We all had to live through the tumult of post Ricther Rangers.
Before he retired, we had this crazy "who's the back?" endless turnstyle - Cloutier, McLean, JF Labbe, Hnilicka, Labarbera, Hebert, Yeremeyv, Holmqvist, Blackburn, Dunham which then lead to the post-Richter era of goalies, Dunham, McLennan, Valiquette, Markkanen, Labarbera (again), Holt, and Weekes before Henrik finally arrived.

Henrik has pretty always had a steady line of backups. Weekes, Valiquette, Biron, Talbot, Raanta, Georgiev

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hank buyout is not cool ... doesn't look right. PR-wise, I mean.

As for cap-room, it was either Hank or Staal getting bought out. We will have to/had to buy out one of them.

He can retire and avoid that.

Who gives a f*** about PR, really? It will do nothing to hurt the team. Some fans may whine. That's it. This team does far, far, far more for its players than basically any other team out there.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Interesting tidbit:
The interview with Hájek is still available online but the part about Lundqvist was retracted. It is nowhere to be found in the interview (but it indeed was there):

Šok v Kometě! Příchod Hájka? Ne, obránce bere Olomouc: Mám to blíž

Sounds like the Rangers were not happy at all with Libor.
Fascinating stuff.

This isn’t hitting me emotionally because I’m old and have kids and shit. It is an excellent reminder that I’m old and have kids and shit though.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Fascinating stuff.

This isn’t hitting me emotionally because I’m old and have kids and shit. It is an excellent reminder that I’m old and have kids and shit though.

Hey, same. At a certain point in my early 30s I stopped caring deeply about things outside my control, including pro sports. I frankly have enough of my own shit going on now. Aging and sick family. Heavier job responsibilities. Saving for a house and retirement. I thank the Rangers for being excellent during my 20s when I was in place where I could fully immerse in it. I am mostly just here now for the likes, and to keep @Thirty One in check.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Hey, same. At a certain point in my early 30s I stopped caring deeply about things outside my control, including pro sports. I frankly have enough of my own shit going on now. Aging and sick family. Heavier job responsibilities. Saving for a house and retirement. I thank the Rangers for being excellent during my 20s when I was in place where I could fully immerse in it. I am mostly just here now for the likes, and to keep @Thirty One in check.
I’m sure there are a bunch of us here in this exact same boat. Still love this team and sports in general but I don’t have enough emotion to go around.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

I'm with you guys, but weirdly enough, for the same reason that you may not care as much, this is hitting me extra hard. Henrik is the last vestige of my childhood pro sports obsession. I idolized my favorite athletes growing up - Gretzky, Messier, Richter, Agassi, etc. Henrik came into my existence when I was a teenager and was basically the last athlete that I truly "looked up to" (well, him and Federer). These days, as I'm getting into my 30s with a wife, career aspirations, home responsibilities, practically no free time...it's not the same. That, and also so many of these athletes are young enough that I consider them "kids" - I don't idolize any of them or put all my emotional energy into sports or athletes anymore. Watching it finally end with Hank is kind of the nail-in-the-coffin of my childhood.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm with you guys, but weirdly enough, for the same reason that you may not care as much, this is hitting me extra hard. Henrik is the last vestige of my childhood pro sports obsession. I idolized my favorite athletes growing up - Gretzky, Messier, Richter, Agassi, etc. Henrik came into my existence when I was a teenager and was basically the last athlete that I truly "looked up to" (well, him and Federer). These days, as I'm getting into my 30s with a wife, career aspirations, home responsibilities, practically no free time...it's not the same. That, and also so many of these athletes are young enough that I consider them "kids" - I don't idolize any of them or put all my emotional energy into sports or athletes anymore. Watching it finally end with Hank is kind of the nail-in-the-coffin of my childhood.
Sorry to hear that, man. I do sympathize. (Empathize.)

The funny thing is, watching Smith make the moves to compile the '94 team (and then, the moves afterwards to keep Keenan/Mess happy :rolleyes:), provided me with my best/worst fandom moments at the same time. That Cup run was euphoria.

I loved that team, and that run, but at the same time, as a kid in my 20s, who had no involvement in professional hockey whatsoever, I could clearly see they had sold it all for that one, single Cup. And there was always a part of me that felt they pushed too hard to get it too soon....

Reactions: mrhockey193195

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Look, it's Hank's time to retire. He just doesn't have it anymore and his contract is an albatross. That doesn't take away from all the amazing years we had with him. It's not like he has to retire early or this is any kind of surprise, so I don't know why people would get super emotional about it. The only question was whether or not he'd play through his last year. We're getting to the point where we need to compete, and the extra cap space would help us tremendously. I wouldn't blame Hank for not retiring early, as it's his contract that he signed with the team and he's entitled to the money. At the same time, I'm sure the team would offer him far more in the front office to compensate for retiring early. He's been wonderful for us, he carried some really terrible teams, but it's time. A new window has opened. As a fan of the team, I'd love it if he retired before being bought out, but we'll figure things out regardless. This is the really bad year for the cap, so hopefully after this coming season we'll be smart and have a lot more space to work with.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Man, I felt this...100% agree.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

I am sad now because this is how I feel lmfao

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
f***ing hell man.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Well you're failing at that. You need to make it a priority over "saving for retirement".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad