Player Discussion Henri Jokiharju

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
To be pedantic, he's 23.
My post was meant to focus on how we have been evaluating him this past year while he was 22 moreso than his age going forward, so it was probably misleading which I did not intend it to be, so I apologize for that. And you are absolutely correct, he is 23 now, and he will be 23 all of next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My post was meant to focus on how we have been evaluating him this past year while he was 22 moreso than his age going forward, so it was probably misleading which I did not intend it to be, so I apologize for that. And you are absolutely correct, he is 23 now, and he will be 23 all of next season.

He is one of the few younger players who struggled with the changes in Granato's first full season. It's possible it was the early injury and then the defensive zone heavy, high quality opponent use that he and Dahlin were fed. He seemed to adjust as the year went on, though the second injury didn't help. And when they split him and Dahlin up, it made a difference as well. It would be great if he channeled some of what he did in Portland here in Buffalo.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
He is one of the few younger players who struggled with the changes in Granato's first full season. It's possible it was the early injury and then the defensive zone heavy, high quality opponent use that he and Dahlin were fed. He seemed to adjust as the year went on, though the second injury didn't help. And when they split him and Dahlin up, it made a difference as well. It would be great if he channeled some of what he did in Portland here in Buffalo.
He definitely deferred to Dahlin vice being more assertive which was reflective in how his play improved when they were split

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Im fine with giving him one more year. If he finds his game, then we have a cost controlled asset for the foreseeable future. He showed flashes last year and is still young.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You guys are nuts :laugh:

Jokiharju is 22 and playing a top 4 role and finally starting to show poise and signs of figuring out the NHL and you want to move him for a year of Dumba?

22!

Duncan Keith's rookie year was at 22, and he showed promise, but was seriously flawed when he came into the league.

I watched a lot of Winterhawks games while Jokiharju was there, and I guarantee that he has another level to him and has not come anywhere near his ceiling.

The way his development has been botched, it would not surprise me if he is a player that continues to develop and doesn't peak until his late 20s.

I guess you didn't read my full post because I said I don't think he should be traded, because of our relative lack of depth at that position (RHD in particular). Teams usually trade from a position of depth, which in our case would be young F's or picks.

With that said, if MIN offered Dumba for Joker and the VGK 2nd, and we were able to sign Dumba to a reasonable long term extension, it would be stupid not to not at least consider it seriously.

Anderson is not a practical trade option because of the bargain contract he's signed to for 4 more years.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
A bit of an undersized 4/5 who is mobile and might have some untapped potential for shot suppression IMO. I don't know if I have trust in him as a d-heavy rotation guy, but in balanced pairings, he's sort of okay. I'm partial to defenseman who, when playing defense, one does not talk about and he has moments like that. I wish he was bigger or more physically engaged and I wonder how last year's attempt to use him as a top pair guy will influence their moves going forward. He's the one guy who it seemed like struggled to find himself under Granato among the younger players, and some of that seems like role/use. Being hurt right away also seems like it put him off his game. *shrug*

I would not be averse to seeing if he has value around the league if his game isn't better to start this season. The idea of using him as a lever on some other RHD move might be something to look at down the line.

Flip side, if he can get back to being just average or a little bit above league average in terms of shot and chance generation for and against, like he was for most of the previous years up to last season, they have a nice #4 at $2.5M until the end of 2024 when he becomes an RFA.

As always, you’re pretty spot on. I agree with this

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
His adjustment time was roughly on par with Dahlin’s. Both took about 3 months or so before they started to figure it out. A combination of purging what Krueger drilled into them and absorbing what Granato wanted. They also had to adjust to the role/usage of top pairing dmen for the first time in their careers.

I think what hurts the perception of Joker as much as anything is a combination of his delayed start and Dahlin‘s back half of the season. While Joker was still in that 3 month figuring it out phase Dahlin was growing his game. Then by the time Joker had his game on track the last couple months. Dahlin had taken his game to a whole other level. It was a tough nightly comparison for Joker. I think he got more recognition once he was moved away from Dahlin but thats a small sample at the end of the year.

The top pairing usage was a good challenge/development move by Granato. Ultimately both Dahlin and Joker rose to the challenge. In Dahlin’s case that’s what he is supposed to be. I’m not sure thats the case with Joker but he showed more to his game than I thought he had.

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I guess you didn't read my full post because I said I don't think he should be traded, because of our relative lack of depth at that position (RHD in particular). Teams usually trade from a position of depth, which in our case would be young F's or picks.

With that said, if MIN offered Dumba for Joker and the VGK 2nd, and we were able to sign Dumba to a reasonable long term extension, it would be stupid not to not at least consider it seriously.

Anderson is not a practical trade option because of the bargain contract he's signed to for 4 more years.

My response was not really in regards to your reasoning or value, and I actually multi-quoted two other posters, but for some reason yours was the only one to come through, (most likely user error on my part, all the options on these boards still confuse me ;) so sorry, I was not trying to pick on you specifically, (except for the dumba idea part, I was definitely teasing you for that, but it was all in fun, so hopefully you didn't take it too personally).

I find the idea that we are speculating that a 22 year old defensman that had been poorly developed was probably already at his peak. That was the take-away I was trying to (and likely failed) to relate.

Jokiharju doesn't have a ton of value right now but he has shown flashes and has the pedigree that he is worth a lot more on the gamble of keeping him and letting him further develop than moving him now for a reduced return, imo.

Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
My response was not really in regards to your reasoning or value, and I actually multi-quoted two other posters, but for some reason yours was the only one to come through, (most likely user error on my part, all the options on these boards still confuse me ;) so sorry, I was not trying to pick on you specifically, (except for the dumba idea part, I was definitely teasing you for that, but it was all in fun, so hopefully you didn't take it too personally).

I find the idea that we are speculating that a 22 year old defensman that had been poorly developed was probably already at his peak. That was the take-away I was trying to (and likely failed) to relate.

Jokiharju doesn't have a ton of value right now but he has shown flashes and has the pedigree that he is worth a lot more on the gamble of keeping him and letting him further develop than moving him now for a reduced return, imo.

I hear you and I don't take it personally ;)

I actually do think Joker has a good deal of value because he's locked in at a great cap hit. And like you said, he's not close to his peak. We know Dmen peak later and his best hockey is ahead of him.

That's why, although I'd like to keep him, he could be particularly valuable to a team like MIN if they wanted to open up cap space by moving Dumba out, given all the dead cap on their roster the next 3 years and Joker's low AAV.

Not sure if there are any other RD that are realistic targets and a substantial enough upgrade that I'd be willing to give up Joker for. Ryan Johnson and VGK 2nd for John Marino would have made sense. But an extended Dumba (if reasonable AAV) for Joker+ also makes a lot of sense as long as the '+' isn't too much.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think he’s a fine player and one that I would be happy to have on the third pair in the future…but that’s in a vacuum. There’s a cap reality in the league that this team should be taking advantage of. I don’t have a player in mind but half of the teams in the league (and almost all the good ones) would value his 2 years at 2.5 to the point where you can get a better player whose contract is bigger. Joker’s value as a fine NHL RHD is higher to teams against the cap right now than it would be in the vacuum. Maybe I’ll look for a specific player or two that make this make sense…but you get it. I think we can upgrade our defense because Joker can play and has a good contract.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think he’s a fine player and one that I would be happy to have on the third pair in the future…but that’s in a vacuum. There’s a cap reality in the league that this team should be taking advantage of. I don’t have a player in mind but half of the teams in the league (and almost all the good ones) would value his 2 years at 2.5 to the point where you can get a better player whose contract is bigger. Joker’s value as a fine NHL RHD is higher to teams against the cap right now than it would be in the vacuum. Maybe I’ll look for a specific player or two that make this make sense…but you get it. I think we can upgrade our defense because Joker can play and has a good contract.

Unless he takes some strides the first half of this season, I think he is going to be (along with Girgs playing 4c), the most needed player to upgrade

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'm ready to cut bait.

He's been given every opportunity to succeed in the system with high-end partners, but he still doesn't seem to have the basics of positional play down, he doesn't bring any physicality or high offensive potential. He might be a third pairing guy here, but he's young enough where he still has value to someone else.

Given the depth of the Sabres' current pipeline, I would be glad to pair him with a pretty high draft choice to get a solid second-pairing young RHD.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm ready to cut bait.

He's been given every opportunity to succeed in the system with high-end partners, but he still doesn't seem to have the basics of positional play down, he doesn't bring any physicality or high offensive potential. He might be a third pairing guy here, but he's young enough where he still has value to someone else.

Given the depth of the Sabres' current pipeline, I would be glad to pair him with a pretty high draft choice to get a solid second-pairing young RHD.

After his first preseason game... :scared:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A bit of an undersized 4/5 who is mobile and might have some untapped potential for shot suppression IMO. I don't know if I have trust in him as a d-heavy rotation guy, but in balanced pairings, he's sort of okay. I'm partial to defenseman who, when playing defense, one does not talk about and he has moments like that. I wish he was bigger or more physically engaged and I wonder how last year's attempt to use him as a top pair guy will influence their moves going forward. He's the one guy who it seemed like struggled to find himself under Granato among the younger players, and some of that seems like role/use. Being hurt right away also seems like it put him off his game. *shrug*

I would not be averse to seeing if he has value around the league if his game isn't better to start this season. The idea of using him as a lever on some other RHD move might be something to look at down the line.

Flip side, if he can get back to being just average or a little bit above league average in terms of shot and chance generation for and against, like he was for most of the previous years up to last season, they have a nice #4 at $2.5M until the end of 2024 when he becomes an RFA.

Why do I feel like this is still the thing? There just isn't consistency there. And there is a complete lack of physicality and they can't afford to have half of their defense be so incompetent at defending especially when it is one entire pair.

It's just that my runway with him has run out.

Reactions: Grinder81

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Why do I feel like this is still the thing? There just isn't consistency there. And there is a complete lack of physicality and they can't afford to have half of their defense be so incompetent at defending especially when it is one entire pair.

It's just that my runway with him has run out.

I am probably the last Henri Jokiharju fan on this board, but even I think a change of scenery is in order. His development has been stunted by injuries and the fact that his style of play doesn't complement Dahlin or Power...his strengths overlap with theirs, but he isn't as good as they are, so too much of the time his responsibilities are contrary to what he's good at.

There's also the fact that if you're a defenseman who doesn't play well with Dahlin or Power and doesn't play on the PK...there really isn't a role for you on the current Sabres roster.

Hopefully there's a team out there who still recognizes his potential and will give up reasonable value to acquire him. I still think he has #3 D upside (flame away!)

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Idk he seems kind of fine considering what we have left for D-man currently. It doesn't help that we are playing him 20+ minutes in a lot of recent games. RIght now the Sabres would have to get a lot of quality D-man before thinking about letting Joker go because our depth blows much harder than he does.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Joker is not what we need in any of our currently open 4-8 dmen spots. He is a 3rd line puck mover, but not good enough at shooting and passing to be considered an offensive defensman, and not good enough at defense to be considered a defensive defensman, so............he is just a guy. He has some trade value for a team that is looking for what he does, and should be moved in the offseason.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20230527_230722_Instagram.jpg

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Henri has been great so far this year and I want to give him his flowers. Keep it up!

I think most of us including myself were hoping to see us move him out or push him down but he’s shown he’s got more to give and more development in him. Hope he continues on this path it’s good for us and him!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad