News Article: Hemsky gone?

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Hemsky has never shown any enthusiasm about staying in Ottawa, I dont know why anyone would be at all surprised about him moving on for what he hopes is his big payday with a winning team.

But thats the issue he is going to have will there be any winning teams that will give hima big pay day he may have to take far less to be on a winning team.

The Fuhr*

But thats the issue he is going to have will there be any winning teams that will give hima big pay day he may have to take far less to be on a winning team.

Considering he's made 34 million the last 7years I'm sure he can afford to take a little less to play for a good team

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
No what worries me is losing Aflie last yr now we are losing Michelak Hemsky Spezza then probably Methot and Ryan

This team isnt "broke broke" but we are laying on the floor

We are going backwards ...Dont drink the kool aid "spending wisely" its Melynks clever way of not hurting his ticket sales

I think people assume budget means floor it does not.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Considering he's made 34 million the last 7years I'm sure he can afford to take a little less to play for a good team

He could get 4-5 million on a sub par team he may have to go for 1.5-2 million on a elite team and have a limited role.

The Fuhr*

I think people assume budget means floor it does not.

It did this year... Team spent just under 51 million in payroll... Teams like the Bolts, Bruins and Pens out spent the Sens by 15 million.

You know how much talent 15 million dollars buys?

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
It did this year... Team spent just under 51 million in payroll... Teams like the Bolts, Bruins and Pens out spent the Sens by 15 million.

You know how much talent 15 million dollars buys?

Lets look at the Leafs Clarkson/Dion you want to talk about awful spending just look down the 401.

The Fuhr*

He could get 4-5 million on a sub par team he may have to go for 1.5-2 million on a elite team and have a limited role.

I'd take a one year discount deal to play with Crosby.

- Chance at cup
- Crosby inflate numbers

The Fuhr*

Lets look at the Leafs Clarkson/Dion you want to talk about awful spending just look down the 401.

I prefer to look at the Bruins, Bolts and Hawks

The elite teams that spend to the cap that the Sens have to overcome to win the cup.

Who the **** cares about Toronto? Sens have to beat Bruins, Pens, Bolts, etc spending 15 million dollars less

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I prefer to look at the Bruins, Bolts and Hawks

The elite teams that spend to the cap that the Sens have to overcome to win the cup.

Who the **** cares about Toronto? Sens have to beat Bruins, Pens, Bolts, etc spending 15 million dollars less

I agree with Boston and the Pens as with Tampa its really hard to say spending wise where they will be in a couple years.

The Fuhr*

I agree with Boston and the Pens as with Tampa its really hard to say spending wise where they will be in a couple years.

In a couple years?

Melnyk better get the Pocket book out now... A year from now Spezza, Ryan, Methot, MacArthur and Anderson hit UFA

That's 10 million in raises... And the team still has holes today

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Too bad, I really wanted to re-sign him. Now we're a step back again.

The thought of re-signing Michalek makes me want to vomit.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Orpik is the best
Hemsky's numbers are by product of Spezza

UFA hitting the market won't cost a whole lot.

Quite a world you're living in.

He certainly found chemistry with him, and I'd hope that is a factor. IF we keep one, we should push for the other. If not, then both will go I think.

Michalek, paired with Hoffman and Zibanejad I'd consider - but his history of knee issues makes me nervous. No more than 2 @ 3.5

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's annoying when Melnyk compares very different ways of team budgeting as if they were the same thing. What we're talking about here is hanging on to players with proven chemistry who have demonstrably improved the team and he's going out and talking about teams that throw money at a team that's not working overpaying unproven veterans. It's something totally different. Smart spending is fine and great but not being able to let the team develop in a meaningful way is not.

Another thing is it's fine and good to say we want to build a team by developing players, but that's not happening when you let the good veterans walk, keep around questionable ones, then let them play over the promising players you want to develop.

Kybosh

Sooner or later, everything old is new again.
Jun 29, 2012
Maybe Murray could offer Hemsky a deal if he signs with the Sens this year... Something like if we aren't in a playoff spot by the deadline we will move him to a contender of his choice. Murray is very respected when it comes to his word and players know that he will make moves that help them as much as it helps him.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Another thing is it's fine and good to say we want to build a team by developing players, but that's not happening when you let the good veterans walk, keep around questionable ones, then let them play over the promising players you want to develop.

This is absolutely the case. Phillips is Exhibit A and there are several others on that list as well.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Hemsky knows that the Sens are in a fragile state right now and going far in the playoffs is a few years away.
The possibility of a long term contract with a winning team will determine where he goes. There is no loyalty to the Sens. It is all about the money and term. He is looking out for his own security at this point and he is in a great position to do so.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Hemsky knows that the Sens are in a fragile state right now and going far in the playoffs is a few years away.
The possibility of a long term contract with a winning team will determine where he goes. There is no loyalty to the Sens. It is all about the money and term. He is looking out for his own security at this point and he is in a great position to do so.

He could take short term and less money with a elite team or take more money and longer term with a weaker team.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
In a couple years?

Melnyk better get the Pocket book out now... A year from now Spezza, Ryan, Methot, MacArthur and Anderson hit UFA

That's 10 million in raises... And the team still has holes today

Well, what if he doesn't want to take his pocket book out? You're the only one worried about it. 99% of the people will still continue to cheer for this team whether their is a budget or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
He could take short term and less money with a elite team or take more money and longer term with a weaker team.

Always a possibility but at this stage of his career he might be in a position to have his cake and eat it too. He is in the driver's seat! I'd love to see him back with the Sens but doubt this will be the case.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Well, what if he doesn't want to take his pocket book out? You're the only one worried about it. 99% of the people will still continue to cheer for this team whether their is a budget or not.

You are always complaining and whining for no serious reasons at all. I've seen your stupid negativity for a good 9 years now. It has to stop somewhere. I still wonder why you even bother to post on Ottawa Senators board. Why don't you just go to Hawks or Bruins since you're so gugu-lala over them.

If you ask most fans do they care about the budget 99.5% would say no if you asked would you support a ticket price increase to be able to spend more most would take issue with that.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I personally wouldn't hold anything against Hemsky if he packed his bags and walked off to a new destination. He had it pretty rough in Edmonton for nearly a decade and right now Ottawa isn't exactly one of the hottest teams in the league, considering we missed the playoffs with his addition.

I could see him squandering a few bucks just to be on an elite team that is almost guaranteed to make the playoffs. He wants the cup. It's too bad Ottawa isn't a contender, otherwise I'm sure he'd be more than willing.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
From the article: http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/04/14/ottawa-senators-hemsky-wants-to-play-for-good-team

Asked point blank if he wanted to come back to Ottawa, Hemsky replied: "I like it here. Everybody welcomed me really nicely, and I think the team is really good. I think they can be better than we were this year. So I can't complain. But I don't know what the future holds."

It was clear he found chemistry with centre Jason Spezza, and when asked if his future with the club is linked to the captain's, he nodded. "Yeah I guess a little bit," said Hemsky, who made $5.5 million this season. "I want to play with a good centre. That's most important for me. Jason's been great to me. I had a blast playing with him. That's what I would like to know, what they want to do, and what they will do."

"It will be the first time I'll be a free agent, if it comes to it," he said. "I just want to play for a good team, for a winning team, because I missed the playoffs the last eight years. I just want to play playoffs. That's my goal."

I'd say he's a far cry from 'good as gone' right now. Re-signing Spezz will likely be the deciding factor in whether we get Hemsky as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I personally wouldn't hold anything against Hemsky if he packed his bags and walked off to a new destination. He had it pretty rough in Edmonton for nearly a decade and right now Ottawa isn't exactly one of the hottest teams in the league, considering we missed the playoffs with his addition.

I could see him squandering a few bucks just to be on an elite team that is almost guaranteed to make the playoffs. He wants the cup. It's too bad Ottawa isn't a contender, otherwise I'm sure he'd be more than willing.

I think he would have to take a pay cut and might only get a 1 or 2 year deal on a elite team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad