News Article: Hemsky gone?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If we re-sign Michalek and let Hemsky walk I'm officially on the fire Murray bandwagon.

The difference between those two is astronomical. One is a difference maker, the other is useless in every sense of the word.

Hemsky likely leaving is another indication that Spezza is likely on the move. He's said he wants to play with a #1 center and Spezza has been really good for him in the 20 games he's played with the team. I'd have to imagine if Spezza was staying he'd want to stay as well.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Why can't he want to go to a well run team like Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, San Jose?

Why when people say cap teams you just jump to the worst?

The teams that spend to the cap and are elite... Those are the teams the Sens need to beat to win the cup... Who cares about the stupid money the Rangers and Leafs spend ?

Other teams that have spent to the cap...
Tampa Bay
Boston
Pittsburgh
Chicago
St.Louis

Those are proven playoff teams. I'm sure once our young core shows they are ready to actually compete for the cup and not just squeak into the postseason, we will spend. Most of those teams you listed also have been brutal at one point and got rewarded with superstar players. They cost money to keep around

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Lets hope not.

Regardless, 26th in payroll last year on top of all the BS we allegedly has to do to make Hemsky fit in our budget was embarrassing.
- Waive Conacher
- Loan Corvo
- Have EDM play 50 of Hemsky contract.

All while being ranked 26th last year.

As for Edmonton paying half of his salary that had more to do with trying to make the deal a bit more appealing for Ottawa now with Corvo/Conacher that had more to do with not enoughr room for them.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Bummer.. just a bummer. Really want to see Hemsky playing in Ottawa next year. Hopefully if he leaves, it's to go back out west at least.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Other teams that have spent to the cap...
Tampa Bay
Boston
Pittsburgh
Chicago
St.Louis

Let me go ahead and clarify something for you: Those teams all built their core by drafting first, then spending. Throwing money around just to reach the cap doesn't mean squat. We have built a pretty good team on a small budget, and once we become a true contender again, I am certain we will be at least closer than further from the cap.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
we gave up a 3rd and 5th for nothing? that just wasting assets.

Yep.

It really is funny. If the rental plays well enough, then he prices himself right out our budget and we lose him. If he plays terribly, then we don't try and sign him and we lose him.

Either way we lose assets for nothing.

Time to get back to basics.

Othello*

I don't care if Hemsky leaves but please don't bring back Michalek

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If we re-sign Michalek and let Hemsky walk I'm officially on the fire Murray bandwagon.

The difference between those two is astronomical. One is a difference maker, the other is useless in every sense of the word.

Hemsky likely leaving is another indication that Spezza is likely on the move. He's said he wants to play with a #1 center and Spezza has been really good for him in the 20 games he's played with the team. I'd have to imagine if Spezza was staying he'd want to stay as well.

Or, he wants to test the FA market like most players his age do.

The Fuhr*

Those are proven playoff teams. I'm sure once our young core shows they are ready to actually compete for the cup and not just squeak into the postseason, we will spend. Most of those teams you listed also have been brutal at one point and got rewarded with superstar players. They cost money to keep around

- Boston signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard while rebuilding

- Pittsburgh added Sergei Gonchar

- Chicago added Brian Campbell and Marian Hossa to their young core.

- LA added Mike Richards and Jeff Carter

Huge money pieces added

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I don't care if Hemsky leaves but please don't bring back Michalek

And if they do, they better not be paying big $$$.

So many times this year the play just seems to die on his stick, he's lost his explosiveness and his shot isn't as good as it was before.

I can count multiple defensive mistakes as well that were costly.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
This is from Lisa Wallace that Hemsky won't be back? I'll wait for more credible sources.

Oct 10, 2010

He should have been spending money last year after making the playoffs.

Core was more than good enough to spend at least some decent money.

If he didn't do it last year, then why would he do it in the future?

Either way, we'll find out soon enough what his plans are in terms of cap

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
- Boston signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard while rebuilding

- Pittsburgh added Sergei Gonchar

- Chicago added Brian Campbell and Marian Hossa to their young core.

- LA added Mike Richards and Jeff Carter

Huge money pieces added

LA being what they are is more due to having the right players in place and then adding those two pieces.

Pittsburgh drafted the players that make them elite. ONce that was done, much easier to spend to get additional pieces. Would you have stayed a fan of theirs during the rebuilding years? Judging by your post history, I'm guessing no.

Chicago, same deal as above to a T.

Boston is the top team in the league. If every team was compared to them to measure their success = 20 or more GMs on the street.

This is fun.

The Fuhr*

LA being what they are is more due to having the right players in place and then adding those two pieces.

Pittsburgh drafted the players that make them elite. ONce that was done, much easier to spend to get additional pieces. Would you have stayed a fan of theirs during the rebuilding years? Judging by your post history, I'm guessing no.

Chicago, same deal as above to a T.

Boston is the top team in the league. If every team was compared to them to measure their success = 20 or more GMs on the street.

This is fun.

So your argument is the Sens are not in a position to spend?

Next summer impending UFAs... Ryan, Spezza, Methot, Anderson, Mcarthur

I hope the no spending strategy of the Sens entices that talent to stay.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Let me go ahead and clarify something for you: Those teams all built their core by drafting first, then spending. Throwing money around just to reach the cap doesn't mean squat. We have built a pretty good team on a small budget, and once we become a true contender again, I am certain we will be at least closer than further from the cap.

Who says anything about throwing money around? Signing Alfie, MacArthur and Gonchar while also trading for Ryan is not throwing money around. Thats keeping assets and acquiring fair priced assets.

We had the chance to be middle of the pack spending team, a team management thought was a contender, without throwing money around. We weren't willing to add to a "contender" because of Melnyk alone. :facepalm:

We're not spending because we dont have players to spend it on. We're not spending because we dont have money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad