Help with my wrist shots

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Looking at it now I realize that I still start the puck too far up in my stance and my wrist action throughout my shot needs A LOT of work.

Well, it really hard to tell from this video without looking at you in all angles.
But from what I see, I recommend that you build a platform about 2.5 inches off the ground for you to stand on. This will help you with the stick angle when it comes time to cupping the puck correctly with the blade of the stick.

This 2.5 inch platform will compensate the difference for your skates. Then take the video again and let see what it looks like.

What part of Philly do you live in? I am currently in Philly for the next two weeks. I could meet you at your local rink for a one on one coaching session. Won't cost you a thing!

Send me a PM if you want to get together.

Head coach

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Going to go refer back to my old post and strongly suggest you learn how to take a snapshot and not worry so much about your wrist shot - I've been playing since I was a little kid (25+) years and I can't even remember the last time I used a wrist shot.

I know people in this thread say you should learn both, but if you don't believe me, watch any NHL game and a majority of players use snapshots.

Anyway, that's my peace on that.

No matter which shot you use (snap or wrist), I'd suggest modifying your weight transfer to your inside leg. I know people have given you a lot of advice in this thread, but again, watch NHL players as a point of reference.

You will notice the ones with the most lethal shots always shoot off of their inside leg.

You will want to flex your inside leg (left) and kick out your back leg (right) so you are leaning all of your weight down onto the blade, then transfer that weight into your shot.

Here is a good shot of AO right after he snaps the puck:

81398750.jpg

Shooting like this will also help you get the puck off faster when you come out of your turns.

Remember, lean fwd on your left leg, almost like you are balancing yourself on your shaft, then transfer that energy into your shot and kick out your back leg.

It will feel awkward at first, but once you get it down, it will dramatically improve your shot.

All of that is valid, however, you need to learn both ways. AO will also shoot snappers/wristers from across his body as he moves from left wing to right. You need to know how to shoot both ways, off both feet and with the proper weight transfer for both.

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Well, it really hard to tell from this video without looking at you in all angles.
But from what I see, I recommend that you build a platform about 2.5 inches off the ground for you to stand on. This will help you with the stick angle when it comes time to cupping the puck correctly with the blade of the stick.

This 2.5 inch platform will compensate the difference for your skates. Then take the video again and let see what it looks like.

What part of Philly do you live in? I am currently in Philly for the next two weeks. I could meet you at your local rink for a one on one coaching session. Won't cost you a thing!

Head coach
This is why HC is the most awesomest person on these boards. :handclap:

Anyway, the 2.5 inch platform will really make a difference. I remember shooting at home and when I got to the ice it was a totally different story; aside from balance issues, it just felt different. While you may be learning the basics at home (and that is good of course), having a set-up that replicates on-ice practice would be great.

BadHammy*

While I do agree with Jiggyfly, I still think you need to first learn the wrist shot as a jumping off point. Why? Because all shots in hockey involve wrist action, and if you master it first, you'll have a solid foundation for the future. One thing I've noticed people with a poor snap shot doing is trying to use too much arms and not enough leg/trunk and wrist action.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
All of that is valid, however, you need to learn both ways. AO will also shoot snappers/wristers from across his body as he moves from left wing to right. You need to know how to shoot both ways, off both feet and with the proper weight transfer for both.

While I do agree with Jiggyfly, I still think you need to first learn the wrist shot as a jumping off point. Why? Because all shots in hockey involve wrist action, and if you master it first, you'll have a solid foundation for the future. One thing I've noticed people with a poor snap shot doing is trying to use too much arms and not enough leg/trunk and wrist action.

I agree you should learn both, but I think he has the fundamentals down well enough, whereas others don't think he does.

If you watch his videos, you'll notice he is shooting off his outside foot and also getting good rotation on the puck. Most newbies struggle with both; they have a very stiff upper body and the puck floats and wobbles on them, like Han Solo just shot it down.

I used to coach youth hockey and he has better fundamentals then the kids I used to teach how to take snapshots. I've always seen a dramatic difference in a player's game once they start using snapshots... from passing to shooting, it gives your overall game a massive improvement.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Head coach

I actually live in a suburb about 5 minutes out of the city.

While I would love to and that is incredibly generous of you, my skating skills are still really meh and I really would rather not embarrass myself lol. But I really, really appreciate the offer.

Also, the distance between where I'm shooting and my target is roughly 30 feet. I just figured I'd mention that so you can keep that in mind for velocity and accuracy sake. How terrible does my velocity look at this point? I mean I know it's not terrible, but how far away am I from mediocre velocity?

BadHammy*

I agree you should learn both, but I think he has the fundamentals down well enough, whereas others don't think he does.

If you watch his videos, you'll notice he is shooting off his outside foot and also getting good rotation on the puck. Most newbies struggle with both; they have a very stiff upper body and the puck floats and wobbles on them, like Han Solo just shot it down.

I used to coach youth hockey and he has better fundamentals then the kids I used to teach how to take snapshots. I've always seen a dramatic difference in a player's game once they start using snapshots... from passing to shooting, it gives your overall game a massive improvement.

You could be right. I scored most of my goals by one-timers and wristers though, depends on the player and level. Another point I'd like to make, there are two types of snap shots. One allows the puck to get maybe an inch or two in front of the blade and doesn't load off the ice hardly at all, this is strongly like a wrist shot, and the alternative allows the puck to get 4-5 inches ahead of the blade, and loads up more. In my experience, the first type works better and relies more on acute wrist motions for accuracy and deceptive release. I think the snap shot is more like the wrist shot instead of the other way around.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
I actually live in a suburb about 5 minutes out of the city.

While I would love to and that is incredibly generous of you, my skating skills are still really meh and I really would rather not embarrass myself lol. But I really, really appreciate the offer.

Also, the distance between where I'm shooting and my target is roughly 30 feet. I just figured I'd mention that so you can keep that in mind for velocity and accuracy sake. How terrible does my velocity look at this point? I mean I know it's not terrible, but how far away am I from mediocre velocity?
You are passing up and insanely rare and amazingly great opportunity just because you are worried about embarrassing yourself on the ice? First off, he is a coach he has probably seen it all so I doubt he wont care at all. Second...you got to get on the ice to learn to shoot at some point doing it in your back yard does help but if you aren't getting on the ice at all its not like you can expect to get on the ice and be able to shoot anywhere near what you can off the ice. Skating is a majority of being able to play ice hockey.

He can prob even give you some pointers on skating...unless I missed it somewhere and you just plan on playing roller or something.

Sorry if I seem I am being harsh but I do not understand what so ever how someone would pass up this opportunity. This is a limited time opportunity that you probably will never have again in your life especially for FREE. Do it.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You are passing up and insanely rare and amazingly great opportunity just because you are worried about embarrassing yourself on the ice? First off, he is a coach he has probably seen it all so I doubt he wont care at all. Second...you got to get on the ice to learn to shoot at some point doing it in your back yard does help but if you aren't getting on the ice at all its not like you can expect to get on the ice and be able to shoot anywhere near what you can off the ice. Skating is a majority of being able to play ice hockey.

He can prob even give you some pointers on skating...unless I missed it somewhere and you just plan on playing roller or something.

Sorry if I seem I am being harsh but I do not understand what so ever how someone would pass up this opportunity. This is a limited time opportunity that you probably will never have again in your life especially for FREE. Do it.

Lol as soon as I posted that I realized how stupid I was being. I'll have to see what my schedule and the rink's schedule are.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Also, could the fact that the acrylic panel I'm shooting off of is too small hinder my ability to take wrist shots? I'm thinkin bout pickin up a bigger piece because it's obvious that the acrylic doesn't cover the full length of a shot. I'm just wondering if I should see improvements with a more suitable shooting space.

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
Also, could the fact that the acrylic panel I'm shooting off of is too small hinder my ability to take wrist shots? I'm thinkin bout pickin up a bigger piece because it's obvious that the acrylic doesn't cover the full length of a shot. I'm just wondering if I should see improvements with a more suitable shooting space.

Yea I think your panel might be a bit too small. Wrist shots need a relatively large amount of space (part of the reason the pros don't use them often). Either find something cheap, like a table insert or a piece of plastic lying around, or call some plastic companies in your area asking for high density polyethylene (HDPE). I forget the dimensions of mine, maybe 2' by 4', and it cost around $50 (kind of expensive, I know).

Another option might be those panes of plastic that are used to cover fluorescent lighting (pretty sure it's either what you're using now, or very close to it). I think they'd be cheaper, but I'm not sure.
Good luck!

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Just thought I'd point out that for someone who just started playing, your wrist shot isn't all that bad. I've seen guys who have been playing for a while who are much worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad