Help with my wrist shots

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I don't think I'll be in a game situation any time soon. I'm just learning so I figured I should learn how to do everything the right way, then change what I feel needs to be changed once I get it all down.

swede84

Mar 21, 2010
the sin bin
I would suggest using a weighted puck to practice with. It will ultimately help your shot overall. Also, you can weight your stick by taping pucks to it and adding a weight plate to the shaft. Just be sure to use lots of tape so the weight doesn't slide. Once you have the weight in place, practice rolling your wrists by stickhandling with very pronounced movement in your wrists. You can use a ball if it is easier for the surface you have since your main goal is to strengthen your wrists. I noticed that both using a weighted stick and a weighted puck made it much easier to get off a nice shot during games.

HowToHockey

I would suggest using a weighted puck to practice with. It will ultimately help your shot overall. Also, you can weight your stick by taping pucks to it and adding a weight plate to the shaft. Just be sure to use lots of tape so the weight doesn't slide. Once you have the weight in place, practice rolling your wrists by stickhandling with very pronounced movement in your wrists. You can use a ball if it is easier for the surface you have since your main goal is to strengthen your wrists. I noticed that both using a weighted stick and a weighted puck made it much easier to get off a nice shot during games.

It might be best to get a good grasp of the right technique before using weights, I don't know for sure but I have a sneaky suspicion it may mess your technique up a bit, but I could be wrong.

I definitely did notice a big improvement in my shot after using a weighted puck and also making my own weighted stick

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Here's a vid of attempting some traditional weight transfer shots. I know the power isn't there, but I'm more focused on just trying to get it down right now. I feel like i'm doing ok with it, but I'm always open to some constructive criticism.

BadHammy*

Here's a vid of attempting some traditional weight transfer shots. I know the power isn't there, but I'm more focused on just trying to get it down right now. I feel like i'm doing ok with it, but I'm always open to some constructive criticism.

I'd say you're on the right track. However, I have a few suggestions for you. 1) Work on dragging the puck down from the heel to the toe, 2) start with the puck further away, e.g. more to the left, and bring it in toward the body as you shoot, 3) practice on skates when you can. The reason is that beginners often shoot fine off ice but have a fit on it because of a lack of balance. Good luck.

HowToHockey

Nice, it looks like you are getting a lot more power now than in the last video. It doesn't look like you roll your wrists during the shot, so that might help you get a bit more power and accuracy. Basically right when the puck starts to come off the ground, you want to flick / roll your wrist. That keeps the puck nice and snug to your blade, and gives it just a bit more velocity, plus helps with aiming (if you do it right)

Good job

Also when it comes to shooting every player develops their own style, the key is finding what works for you, but also try not to develop bad habits.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com

Nice! Looking good there .... keep up with that. It will gradually get crisper and more laser like. You are doing a good job in the video. I already see a better shot than in the last video.

This reminds me I should make a slapshot video now that i am healed up and can shoot good again. I was waiting for all this rain we had to go away and the ground to dry up. My backyard is saturated, you get water filling up your footprint right now.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
One other tip, as you get more comfortable with your technique is to start to look at your target instead of the puck. You'll begin to be able to feel your puck on your stick and you want to be looking at the target and where you want the puck to go. That will help you tremendously with accuracy and being able to hit what you're shooting at.

HowToHockey

One other tip, as you get more comfortable with your technique is to start to look at your target instead of the puck. You'll begin to be able to feel your puck on your stick and you want to be looking at the target and where you want the puck to go. That will help you tremendously with accuracy and being able to hit what you're shooting at.

Good point jsykes

This might help with accuracy

I know this is a lot of info all at once so take your time and learn / understand one thing at a time.

BadHammy*

Sorry Beav, but that above video sucked. That guy looks like he's golfing. If you want power, BEND THE KNEES. Otherwise, you're only shooting with your upper body. Jesus, I'm going to email that a buddy of mine who play ECHL and see how hard he laughs. However, he got one thing right, it's good to lean your back into it.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Sorry Beav, but that above video sucked. That guy looks like he's golfing. If you want power, BEND THE KNEES. Otherwise, you're only shooting with your upper body. Jesus, I'm going to email that a buddy of mine who play ECHL and see how hard he laughs. However, he got one thing right, it's good to lean your back into it.

Oh lighten up, he just learned :laugh:

Peer cruelty is a *****.

Good point jsykes

This might help with accuracy

I know this is a lot of info all at once so take your time and learn / understand one thing at a time.

What is this ... you live in a ****ing airplane fuselage? :laugh:

That room rules ass in all ways to Sunday.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

So I guess it is true, hockey players are the most elitist ****** of any sport. When I learned to golf, I got constructive criticism, same with baseball. Learning how to play hockey (which I literally started learning 2 weeks ago) I've gotten some from the people in here, but more just flat out insults from people like you. Makes the sport real ****in fun to learn.

edit: And the least you could do is quote me directly if you're gonna bash me, not bash me to another poster in the thread like some high school talking-behind-someone's back ********. It's whatever though. I love hockey and I'm not gonna let *******s like you make me give up on it.

Last edited:

BadHammy*

So I guess it is true, hockey players are the most elitist ****** of any sport. When I learned to golf, I got constructive criticism, same with baseball. Learning how to play hockey (which I literally started learning 2 weeks ago) I've gotten some from the people in here, but more just flat out insults from people like you. Makes the sport real ****in fun to learn.

edit: And the least you could do is quote me directly if you're gonna bash me, not bash me to another poster in the thread like some high school talking-behind-someone's back ********. It's whatever though. I love hockey and I'm not gonna let *******s like you make me give up on it.

No worries, mate. I really didn't know you were new and didn't know that was your video, I don't know who you are. Try and bend the knees more, it will help a LOT. Shooting just takes practice. After about 15 or 20,000 attempts, you'll feel more confident at it.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
No worries, mate. I really didn't know you were new and didn't know that was your video, I don't know who you are. Try and bend the knees more, it will help a LOT. Shooting just takes practice. After about 15 or 20,000 attempts, you'll feel more confident at it.

Nah man I'm sorry for flippin my lid like that, I've just been gettin bummed about it. I mean I feel like I'm doing ok for just deciding to learn a few weeks ago but my goal is to be able to play some pickup game with my buddies by summer time and I don't feel like I'm on a good pace

BadHammy*

Nah man I'm sorry for flippin my lid like that, I've just been gettin bummed about it. I mean I feel like I'm doing ok for just deciding to learn a few weeks ago but my goal is to be able to play some pickup game with my buddies by summer time and I don't feel like I'm on a good pace

I think the best idea is to work on one thing at a time, then work other things into that. But start with the biggest thing, e.g. skating. Work on your forward stride non-stop, along with x-overs. Then move onto stick-handling and shooting standing still, then while skating. 2 months is plenty of time!

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007

I think you might want to quote which video you were joking about in your next post, to clear things up. I thought you were talking about the one beavboyz posted about accuracy but apparently you were referencing hof's video, which you already commented on earlier?

I get the idea there's some miscommunication here, and everybody got angry for no reason, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I can't wait for exams to be done so I can get out there and practice. Would anybody else be up for some kind of summer long challenge? I know beavboys said he's doing a slapshot challenge, and while I don't know he'd do his, maybe each participant would start with taking 25 pucks or something, and see how many corners they can hit, then at the end of the summer we all repeat and see who improved the most? It could be a fun way to improve the whole 'Rink' section's game.

edit: Not trying to hijack, PM instead of replying in this thread and if there's a few people interested I'll make a thread

Last edited:
One thing I would suggest doing is pointing at the spot you're shooting. Right now you have the puck lined up with the spot you want to hit, and you're shooting high, so you're going to be precise. But when you're shooting from different angles from different spots in front of the net, you're not going to be able to have time to line things up like that.

The over-under-over motion is a very, very good description of how to take a wrist shot. As previously mentioned, when you roll your wrists to aim your shot, you're going to want to restrict your forward swing and point at your spot. Try to finish your forward motion a little lower, and finish by pointing exactly where you want the shot to go.

The over-under-over motion is great because it teaches you to cup the puck and whip it towards the spot. You want to roll your wrists so that the front of your blade is facing downwards when you finish. If you leave it open similar to how you have it now, your motion is more similar to a high saucer pass.

The power is pretty good, actually. You're learning weight transfer correctly, as your shots are generally going in a straight line without dipping. Once you get the aiming down, try moving the board you're shooting off of a few feet in either direction.

Take your time. Have fun shooting.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Anyways, I can't wait for exams to be done so I can get out there and practice.

Ugh, I hear that brother. I'm more stressed right now than any teenager should be. My grades are slippin like crazy, I'm working way too much and on top of all that my friend is trying to drag me into a fight between her and her boyfriend (who happens to be a really good friend of mine). She's cute as hell and I'm not sure why she would be (just look at me in the video, I'm not the best lookin guy) but I think she's into me. But I can't do that to this kid, he's literally been there for me forever and has helped me through so much ****. Typical teenage ******** but the ****'s stacked so high I can't see over it lol.

But I digress. I finally have a day off from everything tomorrow so I'm gonna practice literally from sun up to sun down.

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
Ugh, I hear that brother. I'm more stressed right now than any teenager should be. My grades are slippin like crazy, I'm working way too much and on top of all that my friend is trying to drag me into a fight between her and her boyfriend (who happens to be a really good friend of mine). She's cute as hell and I'm not sure why she would be (just look at me in the video, I'm not the best lookin guy) but I think she's into me. But I can't do that to this kid, he's literally been there for me forever and has helped me through so much ****. Typical teenage ******** but the ****'s stacked so high I can't see over it lol.

But I digress. I finally have a day off from everything tomorrow so I'm gonna practice literally from sun up to sun down.

Practice can wait man, no one here is going pro. You're in your last year of HS? Or first year of Uni? Either way, focus on studies for now, maybe an hour or two of shooting practice if you feel you can fit it in. There'll be plenty of time in the summer for shooting.

BTW, how long have you been practicing for? How do your elbows feel? Mine start to feel like **** after too much shooting.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Practice can wait man, no one here is going pro. You're in your last year of HS? Or first year of Uni? Either way, focus on studies for now, maybe an hour or two of shooting practice if you feel you can fit it in. There'll be plenty of time in the summer for shooting.

BTW, how long have you been practicing for? How do your elbows feel? Mine start to feel like **** after too much shooting.

Honestly, practicing hockey is my stress relief right now. Nothin but me, the nice spring breeze, a pack of reds and some pucks. It's just calming to me. I won't practice quite as long as I said lol but I'll practice for a few hours.

I usually go out for an hour at a time or so 2 or 3 times a day depending on my schedule and the 1st week or so the elbow pain was ridiculous but I pushed through it and it hasn't happened in a week.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
The only thing I can add at this point:

I've learned in my time of playing that having a really good shot means absolutely nothing without speed, smarts, and a somewhat decent stick handling ability. I think too many players get caught up on learning how to shoot well (because they dream of scoring goals) that they forget the other aspects .

You need to get into position to shoot, you need to be able to accept passes, you need to be able to give passes, you need to know where to be on the ice offensively and defensively, you need to know where to go when you don't have the puck to get open, you need to be able to create space with the puck, you need to be able to get ahead of the play and catch up with the play, you need to learn to anticipate where the play is going before it happens, and various other small things. I think all of those things come before being able to shoot very well.

Unfortunately smarts really comes part naturally and part just by playing. Speed (to an extent), skating ability, passing, and stickhandling are things that can be worked on. Learn to play defensively first and foremost, don't be that new guy who's a liability in his own zone. I'd rather a guy on my team who's going to play good defense and may not score than the guy who may chip in a few goals but is also responsible for lots of goals and chances against because he's never in position. Of course in pick-up that's less of an issue, but if you ever decide to play in a league of some sort, it's very important.

If you want to get faster, try plyometrics. Do an intense plyo workout for a few months and you'll be faster than you'll ever been. I recommend trying the P90X Plyo workout (or their whole program).

As long as you can get some velocity and a general direction on your shot, that's a start. I think the other things are more important. That's not to say don't practice your shot, but don't make it your main focus.

HowToHockey

Sorry Beav, but that above video sucked. That guy looks like he's golfing. If you want power, BEND THE KNEES.

So I'm guessing you were talking about hof2120's video, and not mine (which was above) Because my video is about accuracy, and I didn't mention power at all. I won't say anything else because it has already been said.

So I guess it is true, hockey players are the most elitist ****** of any sport.

There are some in every sport, just keep working on your game. You have made big improvements since your first video, so just keep on going out and shooting.

What is this ... you live in a ****ing airplane fuselage? :laugh:

That room rules ass in all ways to Sunday.

Haha, I've heard hull of a ship, quonset, and now airplane fuselage. It is actually in the upstairs of my barn. My parents rent the land out so we don't use the barn anymore. When I come home to visit I have a sweet place to shoot pucks!

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Alright, I know I've already made 2 but I love making them, so I'm going to go ahead and make a new one today, some with the camera behind me and some with it to the side so you guys can see better what I'm doing and try to help me.l

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Looking at it now I realize that I still start the puck too far up in my stance and my wrist action throughout my shot needs A LOT of work.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Looking at it now I realize that I still start the puck too far up in my stance and my wrist action throughout my shot needs A LOT of work.

Going to go refer back to my old post and strongly suggest you learn how to take a snapshot and not worry so much about your wrist shot - I've been playing since I was a little kid (25+) years and I can't even remember the last time I used a wrist shot.

I know people in this thread say you should learn both, but if you don't believe me, watch any NHL game and a majority of players use snapshots.

Anyway, that's my peace on that.

No matter which shot you use (snap or wrist), I'd suggest modifying your weight transfer to your inside leg. I know people have given you a lot of advice in this thread, but again, watch NHL players as a point of reference.

You will notice the ones with the most lethal shots always shoot off of their inside leg.

You will want to flex your inside leg (left) and kick out your back leg (right) so you are leaning all of your weight down onto the blade, then transfer that weight into your shot.

Here is a good shot of AO right after he snaps the puck:

81398750.jpg

Shooting like this will also help you get the puck off faster when you come out of your turns.

Remember, lean fwd on your left leg, almost like you are balancing yourself on your shaft, then transfer that energy into your shot and kick out your back leg.

It will feel awkward at first, but once you get it down, it will dramatically improve your shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad