Help with my wrist shots

ReverendAlBundy

Loungetown mortician
Feb 25, 2010
Fort Worth
The main difference between shooting with traditional weight transfer and wrong leg transfer really just comes down to your positioning. A traditional weight transfer wrist shot is anything but quick and easy when you are coming in on your off-wing, and vise versa. For example, I'm right handed, and the only time I'm going to be able to do an efficient traditional wrister is if im coming in along the right wing boards and release as im approaching the dot. At that angle my body is perfectly alligned with the goal mouth to be able to transfer my weight to my left leg without having to akwardly twist my body. Coming down the left wing boards I will never shoot that way, becuase I would have to sharply turn and twist my body oddly just to be able to put it on net.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
To the OP, that shooting surface seems pretty small for a beginner to work on wrist shots. Not enough room to really get the full motion, you're basically taking snap shots.

Also, unless you're just wearing baggy pants you look a bit big to be using an intermediate stick?

Other than that, looking more than fine for a beginner. Some can't pick corners after 20 years....

StrykerB

Jan 3, 2008
Ugh, now I'm looking at radar guns online.

I got one of these for cheap $$.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/other-products/speed-gun/101901/

The only problem is that you need someone to hold the gun while you shoot. And that person should preferably be behind the net for the most accurate reading. If he is behind you, the gun picks up the speed of your stick instead of the puck alot of times.

It's a little freaky and scary if you're the guy with the radar gun behind the net for the first few shots, but you get used to it. :(

Hope this helps.

HowToHockey

I got one of these for cheap $$.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/other-products/speed-gun/101901/

The only problem is that you need someone to hold the gun while you shoot. And that person should preferably be behind the net for the most accurate reading. If he is behind you, the gun picks up the speed of your stick instead of the puck alot of times.

It's a little freaky and scary if you're the guy with the radar gun behind the net for the first few shots, but you get used to it. :(

Hope this helps.

Haha, that is exactly why I DIDNT buy that one. Plus it would be pretty boring unless you are the guy shooting, and I don't always have someone willing to hold it for me. I figured I would drop an extra $20 and get a good quality one that runs itself. I am really happy with the Radar gun I got. You don't need anyone to run it, and from what I have read it is accurate when used properly. It is perfect for hockey, I think the manned ones are better for baseball

If anyone wants a radar gun this is the one I got, and if you put in this coupon HOWHCKY001 you get $10 off! extra bonus :D

HowToHockey

I wish I had a radar gun, does yours seem accurate to you from your testing?

Check the post above ;)

Can I enter a slapshot challenge? I do not have a radar gun and wish I did. I have always been very curious to my mph on my shot.

Definitely, I am starting it myself, basically the point is to improve your shot. For players who don't have that great of a slapshot it will be easy to see progress, but for players who already have a good slapper I would recommend getting a radar gun because it is easier to track your progress, that is why I bought one. Then I know exactly how much I have improved.

How I am doing it is starting with basics, then moving onto things you can tweak to get a lot more power, and then for the people who already have mastered the slapshot I will go include sport specific workouts that you can do to really increase slapshot power and target the right muscles. Should be interesting, I will start a thread when I get started with it.

StrykerB

Jan 3, 2008
Haha, that is exactly why I DIDNT buy that one. Plus it would be pretty boring unless you are the guy shooting, and I don't always have someone willing to hold it for me. I figured I would drop an extra $20 and get a good quality one that runs itself. I am really happy with the Radar gun I got. You don't need anyone to run it, and from what I have read it is accurate when used properly. It is perfect for hockey, I think the manned ones are better for baseball

If anyone wants a radar gun this is the one I got, and if you put in this coupon HOWHCKY001 you get $10 off! extra bonus :D

+1 That is funny. They are both around the same price. I wish I knew that when I bought mine. But it doesn't get boring because the guy holding the gun always talks trash when you shoot. You just switch between shooting and radar.

There is also a radar gun puck out there http://demonhotshot.com/demon/. Never used this so don't know if it's accurate or not. Amazing what you can find when you shop around the internet!:handclap:

Last edited:

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
To the OP, that shooting surface seems pretty small for a beginner to work on wrist shots. Not enough room to really get the full motion, you're basically taking snap shots.

Also, unless you're just wearing baggy pants you look a bit big to be using an intermediate stick?

Other than that, looking more than fine for a beginner. Some can't pick corners after 20 years....

lol nah I'm a pretty big guy, I know the INT flex is way too whippy but it was given to me by a buddy because he got a new stick so his old go-to stick is now his mess-around stick and he gave his old mess-around stick to me. Once I get my next paycheck I'll probably buy one. Should I go 85 or 100 flex? Also, what's a solid stick that won't break my bank?

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
+1 That is funny. They are both around the same price. I wish I knew that when I bought mine. But it doesn't get boring because the guy holding the gun always talks trash when you shoot. You just switch between shooting and radar.

There is also a radar gun puck out there http://demonhotshot.com/demon/. Never used this so don't know if it's accurate or not. Amazing what you can find when you shop around the internet!:handclap:

I saw that Demon Shot puck posted in here before, I just do not know how accurate it is. The radar gun is the best way to go. The puck thing is cheaper though.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
How I am doing it is starting with basics, then moving onto things you can tweak to get a lot more power, and then for the people who already have mastered the slapshot I will go include sport specific workouts that you can do to really increase slapshot power and target the right muscles. Should be interesting, I will start a thread when I get started with it.

I checked the above post, interesting.

For the muscles thing since i already have the slapper mastered when taking many many shots in shooting drills which usually are a rapid fire line of 10 pucks on the ice from the top of each of the lower circles, the middle in the high slot, then from each point. I do the point shots last because of fatigue they are harder to shoot and mentally I make sure more effort goes into it so they are good shots.

The next day the muscles of soreness are the muscles on the ribcage (whatever they are called), shoulders, forearms, thighs and calves as well as the lower back muscles. Also the muscles on the hip bone on the upper thigh on the right hand side, I shoot lefty.

I have a partially torn bicep tendon and it doesn't affect my slapshot in the least so the bicep does not play a huge roll in slapshots. It is on my lower hand by the way. It is the part of the bicep that you use to screw in screws with a screwdriver. I am right handed (I shoot lefty) so it doesn't matter.

... if this helps you at all.

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004

Ohhhh snap. Now I'm thinking about buying a radar gun. Damn you! I don't have the money for this...made worse by the fact I'll probably buy it.

Damn you!

Edit: Which accesories if any did you pick up?

HowToHockey

Ohhhh snap. Now I'm thinking about buying a radar gun. Damn you! I don't have the money for this...made worse by the fact I'll probably buy it.

Damn you!

Edit: Which accesories if any did you pick up?

I see you are from Canada so you'll want to order from this page

They have a .ca and .com which is kind of confusing sometimes. I already had most accesories if you mean other training products. I like the weighted pucks, those are great, and I have a few stickhandling balls, also a chunk of fake ice, and some stick weights. I probably would have saved on shipping if I ordered them all at once :)

If you mean accesories like accesories for the radar gun I didn't get any, for the mount I just made my own. It is nice to have a tri-pod so you can set the radar gun at about the height you are shooting, but I didn't think of that when I ordered so I just picked up some stuff at home depot and made my one up quick.

HowToHockey

I checked the above post, interesting.

For the muscles thing since i already have the slapper mastered when taking many many shots in shooting drills which usually are a rapid fire line of 10 pucks on the ice from the top of each of the lower circles, the middle in the high slot, then from each point. I do the point shots last because of fatigue they are harder to shoot and mentally I make sure more effort goes into it so they are good shots.

The next day the muscles of soreness are the muscles on the ribcage (whatever they are called), shoulders, forearms, thighs and calves as well as the lower back muscles. Also the muscles on the hip bone on the upper thigh on the right hand side, I shoot lefty.

I have a partially torn bicep tendon and it doesn't affect my slapshot in the least so the bicep does not play a huge roll in slapshots. It is on my lower hand by the way. It is the part of the bicep that you use to screw in screws with a screwdriver. I am right handed (I shoot lefty) so it doesn't matter.

... if this helps you at all.

Nice thanks for that. For the first week I'm planning on just hammering shots a few hundred a day and making note of the muscles that hurt, then targeting those muscles later in workouts. I'll save all my plans for the challenge though, I have some great workouts that NHL players use for the same purpose

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
lol nah I'm a pretty big guy, I know the INT flex is way too whippy but it was given to me by a buddy because he got a new stick so his old go-to stick is now his mess-around stick and he gave his old mess-around stick to me. Once I get my next paycheck I'll probably buy one. Should I go 85 or 100 flex? Also, what's a solid stick that won't break my bank?

I'd start with 85 and see how it feels. Int to 100 is a big jump.

As far as recommendations it really depends on your budget. Go to your local store and check out all the ones in your price range, see how they feel and check out the curves.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I always notice my chest and shoulders are sore after shooting.

I was at the range for an hour and shot with a kid who's going to Bemidji State next year. Had a very good shot. I noticed he kept his hands closer together on wristers. How I'd describe it was that with both hands on the stick, you could almost touch your bottom hand elbow to your top hand glove.

I took some shots like that and sure enough, a bit better velocity and accuracy. Shooting like this, I tried to snap the forearms and wrists as quick and hard as possible. This is why I head to the range so much in the summer to work on my shot. My technique falls apart by the end of the season as I get sore and lazy.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I shoot like that all the time, much quicker release. Almost all wrists.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd start with 85 and see how it feels. Int to 100 is a big jump.

As far as recommendations it really depends on your budget. Go to your local store and check out all the ones in your price range, see how they feel and check out the curves.

I have the Bauer with the P88 and I've been messing with my buddies Easton with the Sakic curve. I like the sakic for close range roofers but it seems like outside 15 feet or so I can't control the lift as much as I'd like. Is there something sort of in between the Sakic and the P88? it seems like that would suit me best.

BostonRic

Oct 22, 2008
One of the most important things for taking a good wrist shot is to make sure you start with the puck near the heel of your blade. Also, when taking a wrist shot in stride, lean on your stick hard and put most of your wait on your strong side. Eg. if you shoot right have your weight on your right foot, many good players even kick their off-foot up off the ice.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Well I went with a Warrior Bentley. I know there are very mixed reviews about them but I got to shoot around with it a little at the shop and I loved it. I didn't mind the extra weight since it seemed more balanced than any other stick in my price range. It's a 95 flex but I feel like it suited me really well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ok, so I'm 18 and I just recently decided to get into hockey (not really competitive, just pickup games and such) because some of my friends play both competitive and rec and it looks really fun. I've been doing pretty solid with the shooting so far but I'm having a little trouble with my wrist shot form. When I look up people doing stationary wrist shots their feet are square or at like a 45 degree angle to the target. But whenever I try to shoot like that I can get no power or lift on my shot, but when I stand with my feet toward the net (like if I were skating straight towards it), I can get pretty damn good power, lift and accuracy.

If you want to become a better goal scorer, pass faster and more accurately, and get your shot off quicker, don't waste time with wrist shots.

If you watch most of the pros, very few of them use a wrist shot, because it is cumbersome and gives the goalie time to get square.

Also with a snap shot, it is much easier to get shots on net from longer distances and hit teammates on the tape from 50-60 feet away. And you will get perfect spin on your passes almost everytime.

There should be some videos out there showing you the difference between a snap and a wrist shot - but basically with a snap shot you will be "snapping" your wrists before it hits the puck.

It's a deadly shot when you have it mastered and one of the best things you can ever learn for your overall game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad