Help with my wrist shots

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ok, so I'm 18 and I just recently decided to get into hockey (not really competitive, just pickup games and such) because some of my friends play both competitive and rec and it looks really fun. I've been doing pretty solid with the shooting so far but I'm having a little trouble with my wrist shot form. When I look up people doing stationary wrist shots their feet are square or at like a 45 degree angle to the target. But whenever I try to shoot like that I can get no power or lift on my shot, but when I stand with my feet toward the net (like if I were skating straight towards it), I can get pretty damn good power, lift and accuracy.

Am I learning completely the wrong way or is it fine? What I do when I shoot like that is lift my right leg (I'm left-handed) and put my weight on my stick. I also use real pucks because I feel that if I can learn to shoot them well then I'll be able to shoot roller pucks and balls much easier.

I've been trying to get down shooting without skates on, then I'm going to try to shoot with skates on stationary then go into shooting while skating. If I keep practicing constantly and get the right help, should I be able to play with my buddies by this June or so without completely embarrassing myself?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I couldn't find one that fit better. Thanks for any help.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Don't get too frustrated, pretty much any shot in hockey comes from balance and until you skate well you won't shoot well while in full stride. Stationary shooting while not skating is much easier to do so work with that first.

Of course there are oddball exceptions but most shot power comes from the wieght transfer described above through leg drive. For example a baseball would not go very far if you just swung with your arms and your legs remained still while doing it.

Beginners need patience because like with everything else it takes a few years of practice to get really good at something. .... unless you are some prodigy whiz kid I would not beat yourself up too much about having a poor wrist shot.

Have fun and keep working on things, there are literally thousands of Youtube videos that can help you out.

Some basic advice has already been given in this thread so I will not repeat.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Ok, so I'm 18 and I just recently decided to get into hockey (not really competitive, just pickup games and such) because some of my friends play both competitive and rec and it looks really fun. I've been doing pretty solid with the shooting so far but I'm having a little trouble with my wrist shot form. When I look up people doing stationary wrist shots their feet are square or at like a 45 degree angle to the target. But whenever I try to shoot like that I can get no power or lift on my shot, but when I stand with my feet toward the net (like if I were skating straight towards it), I can get pretty damn good power, lift and accuracy.

Am I learning completely the wrong way or is it fine? What I do when I shoot like that is lift my right leg (I'm left-handed) and put my weight on my stick. I also use real pucks because I feel that if I can learn to shoot them well then I'll be able to shoot roller pucks and balls much easier.

I've been trying to get down shooting without skates on, then I'm going to try to shoot with skates on stationary then go into shooting while skating. If I keep practicing constantly and get the right help, should I be able to play with my buddies by this June or so without completely embarrassing myself?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I couldn't find one that fit better. Thanks for any help.

Shooting the way you are shooting now is fine as long as you are coming straight at the net. Problem that you will run into is in a game you will seldom be coming straight at the net with the puck. You need to be able to shoot with your feet parallel to the net.

Here is a pretty good video.

HowToHockey

No your are not learning incorrectly. You should learn to shoot while facing the net, and with your shoulder towards the net. Practice shooting from all angles and positions because you will be shooting from every angle while on the ice. I usually practice shooting with my feet pointing at the net, because I like to practice a quick release so the goalie doesnt get a hint that I am going to shoot.

Another good trick is to come down on the off wing, I shoot right so I would be coming down the left wing) I wait until I cross the blue line, then fake a dump in, or that I am going to drive around the D by moving the puck quickly in front of me. This usually throws the D off for a second, then I pull the puck back a bit behind me and cut to the center. At this point your shoulder would be pointing at the net (this is why it is good to practice shooting from different positions)

I know the goalie will follow the play, so when I was on the left side, the Goalie would be almost hugging the post, when I cut to the center, he will follow and be in the middle of the crease. I shoot for the left side of the net, and usually score. As a bonus sometimes the D acts as a bit of a screen for me.

Also here's a video that might help you a bit with getting some more power.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
No your are not learning incorrectly. You should learn to shoot while facing the net, and with your shoulder towards the net. Practice shooting from all angles and positions because you will be shooting from every angle while on the ice. I usually practice shooting with my feet pointing at the net, because I like to practice a quick release so the goalie doesnt get a hint that I am going to shoot.

Another good trick is to come down on the off wing, I shoot right so I would be coming down the left wing) I wait until I cross the blue line, then fake a dump in, or that I am going to drive around the D by moving the puck quickly in front of me. This usually throws the D off for a second, then I pull the puck back a bit behind me and cut to the center. At this point your shoulder would be pointing at the net (this is why it is good to practice shooting from different positions)

I know the goalie will follow the play, so when I was on the left side, the Goalie would be almost hugging the post, when I cut to the center, he will follow and be in the middle of the crease. I shoot for the left side of the net, and usually score. As a bonus sometimes the D acts as a bit of a screen for me.

Also here's a video that might help you a bit with getting some more power.

Oh wow, that's you in the video right? If so, I pretty much give you full credit for being able to shoot at all. your videos are so helpful, especially the close range backhand top shelf video. Would it be possible for you to make a much more in depth one for the wrist shot, I mean the first one is great but I'd love to be able to see another one with like slow motion or something.

HowToHockey

Oh wow, that's you in the video right? If so, I pretty much give you full credit for being able to shoot at all. your videos are so helpful, especially the close range backhand top shelf video. Would it be possible for you to make a much more in depth one for the wrist shot, I mean the first one is great but I'd love to be able to see another one with like slow motion or something.

Yeah I was thinking of that after I put the video up. I was trying to cover what most other videos leave out, and a lot of players don't know until a few years of shooting.

I will put together a video for absolute beginers. I'll try to have it up next week sometime. It won't be on ice though, it melted...tear

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'll record a video tomorrow of me shooting so you guys can see for yourself and determine how to help. Thanks for all the replies so far.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Here's a vid I recorded of me shooting, any help is greatly appreciated and encouraged. And I know I have a little bit more than I should around the mid-section lol but it's something I'm currently working on. This is my first ever edited video and I feel like I did a pretty solid job. Thanks for watching.

HowToHockey

Here's a vid I recorded of me shooting, any help is greatly appreciated and encouraged. And I know I have a little bit more than I should around the mid-section lol but it's something I'm currently working on. This is my first ever edited video and I feel like I did a pretty solid job. Thanks for watching.

Good video, for power it looks like you are starting the shot at the "half way" point of the wrist shot, let me explain.

You should draw the puck back, pull the puck towards the net with both hands, then at the half way point of the shot (where you are starting to shoot) you want to pull back with your top hand, push forwards with your bottom hand, and then roll your wrist, or flick your wrists. Take a look at my avatar, that is mid shot for me, it looks like that is where you are starting your shot and you lose a lot of power that way.

So basically if you want more power, try pulling the puck back in your stance. The longer the puck is on the blade of your stick, the more speed you can put on it!

I am working on a more in depth video for you as well! I just shot it today, but I need to edit it still so it will be a few more days before I get it up.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Good video, for power it looks like you are starting the shot at the "half way" point of the wrist shot, let me explain.

You should draw the puck back, pull the puck towards the net with both hands, then at the half way point of the shot (where you are starting to shoot) you want to pull back with your top hand, push forwards with your bottom hand, and then roll your wrist, or flick your wrists. Take a look at my avatar, that is mid shot for me, it looks like that is where you are starting your shot and you lose a lot of power that way.

So basically if you want more power, try pulling the puck back in your stance. The longer the puck is on the blade of your stick, the more speed you can put on it!

I am working on a more in depth video for you as well! I just shot it today, but I need to edit it still so it will be a few more days before I get it up.

I agree with that assessment and will add that he is not getting the power he needs because he is "shooting on the wrong foot" as it is called a la Mark Messier. It is a surprise type shot and more for a quick shot on goal after eceiving a pass.

he needs his left foot behind him and his fore foot to be his right leg.

He isn't shooting wrong technically as it is a shot that can be used in games but not the main type of wristshot for sure. Shooting the "correct" way would allow him to draw the puck back more like you said.

He is getting it though, no doubt about it. get some arc out of that shot with the use of your leg drive and that should be a dandy shot for him.

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, I know I'm not getting all that much power on those shots, but I wasn't focusing as much on power as just taking shots to try to get feedback. The thing is, I feel much more comfortable putting my weight on my left foot when I'm taking a shot. Is there any way to maximize potential while still putting the weight on the foot closest to the stick? Is there something about being square to the target that increases power in the shots or could I get as much the way I'm standing? I'm not trying to argue hockey technique with anyone because I know you all know a hell of a lot more than I do, I'm just trying to figure out the best way for me to do it.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Yeah, I know I'm not getting all that much power on those shots, but I wasn't focusing as much on power as just taking shots to try to get feedback. The thing is, I feel much more comfortable putting my weight on my left foot when I'm taking a shot. Is there any way to maximize potential while still putting the weight on the foot closest to the stick? Is there something about being square to the target that increases power in the shots or could I get as much the way I'm standing? I'm not trying to argue hockey technique with anyone because I know you all know a hell of a lot more than I do, I'm just trying to figure out the best way for me to do it.

This IS the best way .... don't get in that habit of shooting on the wrong foot in your video. Do it like this instead .... (POST EDIT: because this is the way you will shoot every other shot when you learn them including the backhander except that is reversed obviously. THIS WEIGHT TRANSFER IS THE ABSOLUTE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU SHOULD BE LEARNING!)

Last edited:

HowToHockey

I agree with that assessment and will add that he is not getting the power he needs because he is "shooting on the wrong foot" as it is called a la Mark Messier. It is a surprise type shot and more for a quick shot on goal after eceiving a pass.

he needs his left foot behind him and his fore foot to be his right leg.

He isn't shooting wrong technically as it is a shot that can be used in games but not the main type of wristshot for sure. Shooting the "correct" way would allow him to draw the puck back more like you said.

He is getting it though, no doubt about it. get some arc out of that shot with the use of your leg drive and that should be a dandy shot for him.

I think it depends on how you are coming in on the goalie. I can shoot off of both feet, I am right handed so if I am coming in on the goalie, I will take a quick shot and most of my weight will be on my right foot (like in my picture) and like these pictures
1-86.jpg

zach-parise-home-wrist-shot-16x20-photo_7b0a857b135a24a7f93a675c4f84dd8b.jpg

But you should also practice shooting with your shoulder facing the goal, this is the most powerful wrist shot, because you have more room to pull the puck back, and you use your muscles in a different way (different body position)

I just got a radar gun so I will let you know the difference in speed between the two shooting positions. I also touched on that in the video I shot earlier, i'll post it in a few days.

I think the wrist shot has evolved a bit, I notice a lot of older players hold their hands closer together and do more of a sweeping wrist shot, where some of the newer players shoot more like a drag and snap type shot, and have their bottom hand closer to the middle of the stick. Cammalleri mentions it a bit in this video, also shows how to take a wrist shot

Last edited:

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I think it depends on how you are coming in on the goalie. I can shoot off of both feet, I am right handed so if I am coming in on the goalie, I will take a quick shot and most of my weight will be on my right foot (like in my picture) and like these pictures
1-86.jpg

zach-parise-home-wrist-shot-16x20-photo_7b0a857b135a24a7f93a675c4f84dd8b.jpg

But you should also practice shooting with your shoulder facing the goal, this is the most powerful wrist shot, because you have more room to pull the puck back, and you use your muscles in a different way (different body position)

I just got a radar gun so I will let you know the difference in speed between the two shooting positions. I also touched on that in the video I shot earlier, i'll post it in a few days

I can shoot both ways also and prefer the on the wrong foot mark messier shot like you pictured. Like you, I too already know how to shoot in every way possible.

The guy is learning wristhooting though and should learn it properly FIRST to eliminate bad habits. Being able to shoot a wristshot the correct way so he can learn proper weight transfer since it will apply to just about every other shot he will learn including the backhander. He isn't trying to get a quick shot on goal he is in his backyard and trying to shoot one the proper way with lots of power.

HowToHockey

The guy is learning wristhooting though and should learn it properly FIRST to eliminate bad habits. Being able to shoot a wristshot the correct way so he can learn proper weight transfer since it will apply to just about every other shot he will learn including the backhander. He isn't trying to get a quick shot on goal he is in his backyard and trying to shoot one the proper way with lots of power.

good point :)

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
good point :)

I like your videos, I snooped around your site and thought you got everything together well and presented the videos well. I don't have a good video camera and just have AVI with a digital camera. it only shoots about a minute of video at a time or something, it would be nice to have a digital video camera.

I want your sweatshirt with the Canada logo. You just do not see those here.:laugh:

I am Franco-American in heritage from the Quebec region.:handclap: I think hockey is in the blood.

PS - I like the video of Cammalleri you edited into your post above. I found that little snap thing interesting, I shoot oldschool with the hands closer together and a sweeping motion. Never too old to learn new tricks!

Last edited:

hof2120

Mar 17, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I hear you, I guess it just felt nice to finally be able to get the puck to go where I wanted it to...even if it isn't the right way to learn. Yet again, let me stress that in no way was I trying to question your guys' knowledge I'm just new to the game and I'm really not sure. But I'm sure with your help I'll be able to learn the right way. Thanks.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Yeah I hear you, I guess it just felt nice to finally be able to get the puck to go where I wanted it to...even if it isn't the right way to learn. Yet again, let me stress that in no way was I trying to question your guys' knowledge I'm just new to the game and I'm really not sure. But I'm sure with your help I'll be able to learn the right way. Thanks.

You were shooting correctly, it just isn't recommended that you learn that way and that is the important distinction there. The other way is way more important and used the most for most hockey shots.

That was all I was saying.

You also are never too old to learn the game so have fun with it. I noticed when I was about 39 or 40 that I was getting fat even though I still played hockey here and there I was not playing like I did when I was younger. I went on a crusade to change what and how I ate and lost 40 lbs in about 4 or 5 months by diet change (not a diet) and increased how often I played hockey. The past 2 years or so I have been playing at the least twice a week.

If you are looking to lose weight hockey on ice or roller is the way to go. I've had sweat dripping off my nose when it was 5 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'd actually disagree with the posters above and say that you should practice shooting from all angles (facing forward, left shoulder close, right shoulder close) and off both feet.

In a game situation, the defenders aren't going to wait until you set up on your back foot for the shot and align yourself perfectly. And when you're skating in on the rush, you don't exactly want to twist your body sideways and plant your skates.

Watching the video, the big things you want to do is better transfer your weight and bring the puck back further before you shoot. I'm not sure how big the shooting board you have is, but as beavboyz said, you want the puck on the blade as long as possible for accuracy and velocity. And try taking a step or two before you shoot to get the forward momentum and weight transfer.

Here are the steps I visualize when I take a wrist shot:
- start moving my body forward to build that momentum
- drag the puck along with me behind my body
- launch myself off my back foot (whichever foot that may be)
- lean on my stick slightly while pulling the puck towards me
- when the puck crosses my body, pull back hard with my top hand while pushing my bottom hand
- snap wrists/forehand right as I release the puck
- point towards the target on the follow through

The forward momentum and weight transfer are fairly self-explanatory, but I find this video is helpful to explain the push-pull mechanism of the wrist shot:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
HF, I noticed that distinction between the old-style and new-style wrist shot.

That older method of using almost pure weight transfer and push-pull leverage seems to work well with short, stiff sticks (like when everyone used woodies cut below the chin) and keeping the hands pretty close together.

The more modern method is a lot closer to a snap shot, relies more on loading the stick and is more useful with longer flexible sticks and keeping the hands further apart (see Ovechkin's photos).

It took a while for me to differentiate and isolate the wrist from the snap shot, but in the end I still shoot almost fully with snappers. It was very helpful to learn the push-pull and wrist snap and incorporate that into my shot, got the velocity and accuracy up, and every now and again I still break my shot down to tweak and improve it (usually in the summer).

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
HF, I noticed that distinction between the old-style and new-style wrist shot.

That older method of using almost pure weight transfer and push-pull leverage seems to work well with short, stiff sticks (like when everyone used woodies cut below the chin) and keeping the hands pretty close together.

The more modern method is a lot closer to a snap shot, relies more on loading the stick and is more useful with longer flexible sticks and keeping the hands further apart (see Ovechkin's photos).

It took a while for me to differentiate and isolate the wrist from the snap shot, but in the end I still shoot almost fully with snappers. It was very helpful to learn the push-pull and wrist snap and incorporate that into my shot, got the velocity and accuracy up, and every now and again I still break my shot down to tweak and improve it (usually in the summer).

I'm trying to recall if I do that anyway while playing. I never really think about mny shooting when playing these days. Funny huh? I'm sitting here trying to remember how I shoot .... I'm pretty sure i am oldschooling it but may have adapted automatically when I switched to a composite from wood.

I'm playing tomorrow afternoon and I will check it out then.:laugh: This stuff is goofy.

HowToHockey

So I set the radar gun up today and shot 10 pucks from each different wrist shot type, shooting as if I am skating in on the goalie my max was 49MPH and when transfering my weight onto my front foot or the "standard" way of shooting my max was 56MPH so a 7MPH (12 KMH) difference. A pretty big speed diference for a small change

I also almost always practice shooting as if I am skating in on the goalie, I don't do any workouts or conditioning, but I am starting a slapshot challenge soon so I will be seeing how hard I can get my slapshot and I think that would tranfer over to shot speed.

To Jarick, the standard way of taking a wrist shot does take slightly longer to set up, but you basically just need to lead with the foot furthest from your stick, and twist your body a bit in order to pull the puck across your body, rather than keeping your chest pointed towards the goalie and pulling the puck from behind you. By pulling the puck across your body you are using your muscles more effectively, the puck is on the blade of your stick a bit longer and ... more power

I put it all on video today, just need a few days put it together.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
So I set the radar gun up today and shot 10 pucks from each different wrist shot type, shooting as if I am skating in on the goalie my max was 49MPH and when transfering my weight onto my front foot or the "standard" way of shooting my max was 56MPH so a 7MPH (12 KMH) difference. A pretty big speed diference for a small change

I also almost always practice shooting as if I am skating in on the goalie, I don't do any workouts or conditioning, but I am starting a slapshot challenge soon so I will be seeing how hard I can get my slapshot and I think that would tranfer over to shot speed.
To Jarick, the standard way of taking a wrist shot does take slightly longer to set up, but you basically just need to lead with the foot furthest from your stick, and twist your body a bit in order to pull the puck across your body, rather than keeping your chest pointed towards the goalie and pulling the puck from behind you. By pulling the puck across your body you are using your muscles more effectively, the puck is on the blade of your stick a bit longer and ... more power

I put it all on video today, just need a few days put it together.

I wish I had a radar gun, does yours seem accurate to you from your testing?

Can I enter a slapshot challenge? I do not have a radar gun and wish I did. I have always been very curious to my mph on my shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad