Confirmed with Link: Helm to Colorado

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Despite the negative nellies on here. He is still a great forechecker who forces turnovers on the opponents and is good in his own end. He will get lots of breakaways, although he very likely won't score on many. He is also still a good PK'er. For the most part when he does get faceoff duty he is 50ish% or above, although he was used as winger here lately.

I have said it for a few years, but on a contending team he will get slotted in properly and be a valuable 3rd or 4th liner depending on how he is used.
Exactly what we need a good pker and someone who can win a faceoff

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We have a few on our team already like this so he will fit right in
To be fair, his stats pretty much tells you what you need to know. He's never had a scoring touch (7.8 career SH%), but last season was just unlucky (3.6%) even by his standards. Pretty good +/- considering he played on one of the worst teams in the salary cap era.

Still has above average skating and PK. Can take FO because he was a center earlier in his career. Don't expect him to be physical because he had a back injury. Probably puts up 15 pts or so, 20 if you guys get lucky.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Will never forget the wheels this guy showed when he first made it to the league. Fun to watch him fly around.

Great roll player/PKer when healthy.
Could have been a much different story for his career if he wasn’t so prone to the injury bug!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Despite the negative nellies on here. He is still a great forechecker who forces turnovers on the opponents and is good in his own end. He will get lots of breakaways, although he very likely won't score on many. He is also still a good PK'er. For the most part when he does get faceoff duty he is 50ish% or above, although he was used as winger here lately.

I have said it for a few years, but on a contending team he will get slotted in properly and be a valuable 3rd or 4th liner depending on how he is used.
Why did you put the extra "m" on any?

I wouldn't call Helm a great forechecker anymore but he's still pretty good. And hopefully a new team will light a fire under him. Overall I agree with your assessment.

Reactions: Oddbob and Gniwder

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Hey wings fans, what can we expect from Helm at this point in his career? Neat signing for the avs, nice pickup for a mil I think
tens of break aways . but always has a difficult time finishing them , all us fans have said ' stone hands helm ' many many times after he couldnt cash in a break away he created via his hard work and wheels

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Exactly what we need a good pker and someone who can win a faceoff

Well you should have beat Dallas to Glendening then.

Helm is pretty washed at this point in my opinion. He isn't really a center anymore either, but I guess we will see how the fit goes in Colorado. He was a good player in the post-season a while ago, maybe he finds that guy again. I wish him well, he spent a long time in Detroit and gave a lot to the organization, I haven't really been a fan for a little while now though in terms of where I think his play has been at.
However, losing and rebuilding is tough on a guy that has been around that long and really isn't a numbers kind of guy.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
I'll always remember Helm getting at least 1 breakaway per game and messing up like Charlie Conway Thank you Yzerman for not resigning him <3

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Will never forget the wheels this guy showed when he first made it to the league. Fun to watch him fly around.

Could have been a much different story for his career if he wasn’t so prone to the injury bug!

He isn’t that guy from 2009 anymore though. And a big part of why he was so injury prone is because of how he played so effectively. He was a bowling ball in a lot of games. Skate into tough areas and take a whack.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Good luck to Helm, he gets chirped for his lack of being able to finish but people forget he had 6 playoff goals before he scored a regular season goal. He was a spark plug and great addition to our playoff runs in his early years.. Another victim of Holland extending players for loyalty and ruining their legacy.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

He was really something when he first. broke in. It is sad that he was never the same after his first major set of back issues. That he has been able to stay in the league for so long just a step slower is a testament to the hard work. Best of luck to him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Helm went from hero to zero for me when we got saddled with that contract and he kept getting played outside of his role. None of which I fault him for personally but as a fan hatted what we had become to represent on the team which is desperately trying to keep a closed window open for the wrong reasons and in the wrong way. This seems like the offseason when we finally dumped all this old baggage. I think Neilsen/DDK are the few remaining negative value leftovers we are carrying.

Wishing helm the best but his leaving is simply the relief felt of finally being able to put a giant boulder down.

Thanks for the warrior side you brought to the game and the dazeling speed you showed us fans in the early days.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
At the rate he's going it might not be far off.

At one point Larkin was looking like a poor man's McKinnon. The last 2 seasons he's looked like a middle class man's Helm.
Unfortunately the stats agree with you. His SH% this season was below Helm's career average and it wasn't much better the previous season. The difference being that Larkin gets more SOG because he doesn't flub the puck near the crease like Helm does.

The problem is that he's been trying to do everything by himself, he plays well with Bert and Fabbri but both of those guys were injured. We'll see how he does with Vrana, that's a fast combo. No more slow guys like Ryan and Zadina....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad