jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
DDK (2012/13) unless one of the following players get signed:
- Tats
- B Smith
- Abby

Likelihood being extremely small.

Next in line is D-Boss (2015-2016). Talk about a complete rebuild.

Have to imagine DDK is gone within 12 months, so yeah, that's crazy to think Dylan Larkin will likely soon be the longest-tenured Wing. Complete rebuild indeed.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Have always liked Helm and what he brought. I never understood the hate. Its not his fault he got the contract he did here and played on lines he probably shouldn't have.

Reactions: Oddbob

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We now have ONE player in the system who was here the last time we won a playoff series
Playoff experience isn't a big concern when you can't make the playoffs. The bigger concern is that this team is going to miss the playoffs for the 6th consecutive season and probably 7. That's a long rebuild.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I cannot see Tampa repeating mainly because of the depth players they lost in UFA and expansion draft.

Yet, they're still better than the rest of the field. Only 1-2 teams are even in TB's ballpark, as of now.

+ old reliable: PROJECTED LTIR USED : $4,870,122

Joseph-Colton-ABB (all listed as C's) can handle L3 & replace Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow, maybe not as well, but plenty of upside too.

Are the NYI upto the task? They must replace Eberle's Top6. Wahlstrom isn't there, yet. BOS/FLA maybe?

Capture.PNG

WEST:

VGK looks pretty strong (on paper).

I wouldn't preclude WPG

nor take STL too lightly.

DAL may surprise again.

COL got worse, lost Grub+Donskoi+Saad+Timmins !! +PED.

they need a Top4 RD & Top6 W badly. $7M+ in Cap left...

maybe Newhook and/or Bowers are ready?

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Have always liked Helm and what he brought. I never understood the hate. Its not his fault he got the contract he did here and played on lines he probably shouldn't have.

This is my thoughts exactly. His contract also wasn't that bad. There are plenty of players that were making that money that were worse.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
He was a guy when he was younger showed glimpses of game breaking potential but it just was never fully there.
This appears fairly common with some athletes heavily gifted in one (or just a few) elite attributes.

Growing up guys like Helm and even guys like Lebda could skate circles around competition and as such never really had to develop other skills. It’s kind of like how I never had to learn how to talk to women until I got older because I was so incredibly handsome

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
26.4 hits/60 in the 08-09 playoffs.
That, to me, was Helm at his best.

Babcock jerked him around a bit.
Starts as a winger.
Shows promise moving to center, winning 52 percent of faceoffs.
He missed a season and he comes back and just as he looks like a solid 3/4C, Babcock throws him back on to the wing. Datsyuk's wing.
And he gets massively overpaid to be a grinder winger.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Boy he used to have rockets on his skates.

He was a good one during his prime but you could tell his play was starting to go down... his contract made that realization a bit too much to look over as well, rightfully or wrongfully so.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I figured he wasn't coming back when Glendening wasn't re-signed.

Being there for game 5 in 2009 and seeing the Joe just go absolutely wild when he scored was something I'll never forget.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Helm was fantastic during the '08 and '09 runs. Remember when Babcock was going around calling him the best 3C in all of hockey? I don't think that was ever true but he was a solid player for the Wings.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Hey wings fans, what can we expect from Helm at this point in his career? Neat signing for the avs, nice pickup for a mil I think

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hey wings fans, what can we expect from Helm at this point in his career? Neat signing for the avs, nice pickup for a mil I think

Despite the negative nellies on here. He is still a great forechecker who forces turnovers on the opponents and is good in his own end. He will get lots of breakaways, although he very likely won't score on many. He is also still a good PK'er. For the most part when he does get faceoff duty he is 50ish% or above, although he was used as winger here lately.

I have said it for a few years, but on a contending team he will get slotted in properly and be a valuable 3rd or 4th liner depending on how he is used.

Reactions: avsfan9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad