Pre-Game Talk: Hello, Desert. Welcome to Frozen Tundra - Leafs & Arizona at 7:30pm 1-29-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I would actually say Leafs are heavy favourites.

In fact, of all the games going on tonight, the only team I would say is more likely to win than the Leafs would be Edmonton, who are playing the Sabres.

I'm pretty sure the Sabres are deliberately trying to lose games at this point.

Also, from a corsi/fenwick POV, the Leafs, in their last 4 weeks of home games, have a corsi for % of 54.8 (score within 1) at 5v5. Arizona has CF% of 44.7 for away games.

As a comparison, the Sabres have a corsi for % of 35.6 on the road over that span. So yeah, they're pretty much allowing on average 1:2 shots for/against.

Imagine if this was boxing and the Sabres were allowing their opponent to land two punches every time they tried to land one... yeesh...

I love this analogy. Well done

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Perhaps but it's a day late and a dollar short.

Kessel hasn't scored a ES goal in 6 weeks and this is going into game #20 tonight were he tries to end that streak.

That is essentially 1/4 of an NHL season without your star forward going without scoring a 5v5 goal.

Its not just him either during the Leafs 3-14-1 in this last 18 game stretch the Leafs have only scored 21 ES 5v5 goals.

There is the potential the flood gates open here soon and Arizona seems like an opponent that might be the magic elixir to spark a goal explosion.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Still quite a bit of hockey left in the season. I think if the Leafs can just squeak out ONE win, they can find a small groove and hopefully start a small winning streak.

To the people who want the team to tank, why even watch them play then? I'd rather this team at least have a small chance to make it to the post-season instead of just "tanking" every season and becoming the east coast Oilers.

Losing mentality creates losers. Leafs win 3-1, and the Leafs FINALLY start to get out of this hole.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Thank You!

I hate losing, and, I hate the TANK mentality!

If drafting high was all it takes for success, then, why aren't the Oilers winning the cup every year now? No matter where you draft, you've got to DRAFT SMART! Detroit is the example of this!

Hopefully, with Hunter at the helm, we'll start drafting quality players, and, less scrubs and washouts!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Oilers drafted right, but surrounded with the wrong guys. Look at Pitts,la, Chi and tell me drafting/developing your own isn't the best way to build a franchise.

Tanking or admitting loss sucks. But being fine with mediocre is worse

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
To the people who want the team to tank, why even watch them play then? I'd rather this team at least have a small chance to make it to the post-season instead of just "tanking" every season and becoming the east coast Oilers.

Losing mentality creates losers. Leafs win 3-1, and the Leafs FINALLY start to get out of this hole.

Do you believe this roster would be a Stanley Cup contender? What is the point of making the playoffs and not win the Stanley Cup? If the Maple Leafs don't win the Stanley Cup then it is a losing season just like it would be for the other 29 teams that don't win the Cup.

There is no "second place" or "second best" award when the Stanley Cup is handed to the winning team. At least the Stanley Cup final loser has a contending team to try again, whereas the Maple Leafs that squeak into the playoffs with an underachieving team will yet again draft in the middle with lesser talented players being selected.

Teams that are at the bottom of the standings have a better chance of drafting a franchise type player then a middle round drafted player. It sucks not having a team to cheer for to win, but sometimes fans have to go through "tough love" before the team becomes contenders again.

The problem with the Leafs it's been tough love for too long for so many years the team needs to go in the other direction for once to be good again.

The management has tried to re-tool and get back into the playoffs for almost TEN years now, and it has not worked. It's time to try the other approach as the current path is not working.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We could really use those 30 goals, 40 assists and 100 points right about now...

I think you're looking for the ghost of Belak, unless you mean something else.

Berg was the steady, stay at home defender. Belak the clown, fighter.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
We're approaching the bottom of the league. Soooo, we're due for that late push back up to 13.

Kessel should get "hurt" and start his vacation a little sooner than usual.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
We're approaching the bottom of the league. Soooo, we're due for that late push back up to 13.

Kessel should get "hurt" and start his vacation a little sooner than usual.

That's generally what happens.

When their backs aren't against the wall and there's no pressure on them anymore and the majority of fans have given up, that's when they play better.

You start to see a lot of people "fight for their jobs" at the end of the season. Although that phrase doesn't really apply to this team, the majority of players that are becoming UFA's still have to show up.

TL12

Cam Barker MVP
Jan 3, 2014
Vancouver
Do you believe this roster would be a Stanley Cup contender? What is the point of making the playoffs and not win the Stanley Cup? If the Maple Leafs don't win the Stanley Cup then it is a losing season just like it would be for the other 29 teams that don't win the Cup.

There is no "second place" or "second best" award when the Stanley Cup is handed to the winning team. At least the Stanley Cup final loser has a contending team to try again, whereas the Maple Leafs that squeak into the playoffs with an underachieving team will yet again draft in the middle with lesser talented players being selected.

Teams that are at the bottom of the standings have a better chance of drafting a franchise type player then a middle round drafted player. It sucks not having a team to cheer for to win, but sometimes fans have to go through "tough love" before the team becomes contenders again.

The problem with the Leafs it's been tough love for too long for so many years the team needs to go in the other direction for once to be good again.

The management has tried to re-tool and get back into the playoffs for almost TEN years now, and it has not worked. It's time to try the other approach as the current path is not working.
If the Leafs made the playoffs this season, it would most likely be because they go on a hot streak. Any team that enters the playoffs on a hot streak are dangerous, and the Leafs are no exception. A confident Leafs team (which we have not seen for a long time) would be amazing to watch in the playoffs. Building confidence one win at a time (starting with a win tonight) would be a good start.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Is it even worth it to watch this team anymore? I mean there's no chance they make the playoffs. Until they ship out all the bums and start calling up the young guys is it really worth it.
It's like watching a fish in a fish tank, just redundant and pointless

Yea, it's very hard to care about the games at this point. Hope Granberg gets more than 9 minutes of ice time tonight, one of the few things of interest in the game.

It took 9 years for me to finally stop following every hockey game, i even forgot there was a game on the other day... Didn't realize it until the following afternoon.

until we make sweeping changes, I'll continue to not watch this team play. This isn't a threat either.... It's simply unbearable.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It took 9 years for me to finally stop following every hockey game, i even forgot there was a game on the other day... Didn't realize it until the following afternoon.

until we make sweeping changes, I'll continue to not watch this team play. This isn't a threat either.... It's simply unbearable.

Try and stay strong.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I watched the condensed version of the Devils game. We were all over them and Schneider stole the show.

I think they now win this game, it's got all the signs pointing to a win. Home against a beatable opponent after a close loss in which they played well.

I hope they lose mind you but I don't see it tonight.

Sep 18, 2009
Still quite a bit of hockey left in the season. I think if the Leafs can just squeak out ONE win, they can find a small groove and hopefully start a small winning streak.

I haven't watched a Leafs game in months. I just come here to complain.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I watched the condensed version of the Devils game. We were all over them and Schneider stole the show.

I think they now win this game, it's got all the signs pointing to a win. Home against a beatable opponent after a close loss in which they played well.

I hope they lose mind you but I don't see it tonight.

Other teams view us as beatable too. Arizona probably thinks they have a good chance of getting a W tonight. But, I do think that the Leafs are going to go on a run. They are starting to play the right way.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We can assume the Backup is starting tonight?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I haven't watched a Leafs game in months. I just come here to complain.

I know I'll regret asking this but how do you know what to complain about if you don't watch?

Sep 18, 2009
I know I'll regret asking this but how do you know what to complain about if you don't watch?

1. Did they win or did they lose
2. Game day thread
3. Highlights
4. The law of physics that states the Leafs never change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad