Post-Game Talk: heave ho! 8 in a row (At home)

3 stars of the game

• Kreider

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Buchnevich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zibanejad

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Nash

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Hayes

• Zuccarello

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Grabner

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Miller

• Desharnais

• Fast

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Carey

• Vesey

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • Skjei

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Shattenkirk

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Smith

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Staal

• Holden

• Kampfer

• Lundqvist

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Going to have to agree, ideally Vesey is on the 4th line with Nieves and whomever the flavor of the month is for AV. As usual AV is handing out minutes to the wrong players, it paid off tonight, but as previously mentioned only because Nash made a great play first. Vesey did make a nice move and lift the puck for the finish. Of course Nash is a bum though and Vesey was free and still cheap so people will go out on a limb to defend him. Fast is 5x the player Vesey is in all situations, and people have crapped on him and called him replaceable, so what does that make Vesey? I really like Fast and I'm not even enthralled with the idea of him moving out of the bottom 6 unless injuries happen.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Vesey sometimes makes flashy plays that make you think he might just have more, but he really doesn't. I think that flashiness blinds people into thinking he is more than he is (AV included) add in the college FA bidding war, and you have some unfairly high expectations.

4th liner, but definitely an NHL player.

Staal/Kampfer/Holden/Carey/Desharnais

we have a lot of dead weight on this team. Each one of those players would be fine as a fill in, or a warm body on limited minutes, but they all get regular playing time here.

The optimist in me says that we have been playing really well with these players in the lineup so there is still significant room for improvement.

The pessimist in me says: but AV though

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Vesey sometimes makes flashy plays that make you think he might just have more, but he really doesn't. I think that flashiness blinds people into thinking he is more than he is (AV included) add in the college FA bidding war, and you have some unfairly high expectations.

we have a lot of dead weight on this team. Each one of those players would be fine as a fill in, or a warm body on limited minutes, but they all get regular playing time here.

The optimist in me says that we have been playing really well with these players in the lineup so there is still significant room for improvement.

I’m sorry, but who thinks that Vesey is more than a 3rd liner? That question includes AV.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I’m sorry, but who thinks that Vesey is more than a 3rd liner? That question includes AV.
I haven't the slightest idea.

I never said anyone thinks he is a top 6 player. ("more than a 3rd liner" as you call it) AVs actions indicate that he might think so since he is always the first player slotted up the lineup whenever AV spins his wheel of accountability and banishes Buchnevich to the 4th line

I think he is over-matched as a 3rd liner

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Most NHL teams have some marginal players getting minutes. Kampfer and Desharnais are playing because McDonagh and Nieves are injured. Would like to see Letteri in for Carey but who knows when/if that happens. I can deal with Staal and Holden for now.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
7654845.gif

A+ gif!

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Most NHL teams have some marginal players getting minutes. Kampfer and Desharnais are playing because McDonagh and Nieves are injured. Would like to see Letteri in for Carey but who knows when/if that happens. I can deal with Staal and Holden for now.
Thats what I was getting at. 1 or 2 of these players are par for the course. 5 though?

You have a point about the injuries, but Kampfer and Desharnais have both been in the lineup when everybody is healthy multiple times

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I don't get this either. Calling Vesey AHLer and then complaining that AV was giving him top9 minutes, which by the way he STOPPED doing.

Vesey clearly and deservingly has his spot on the roster ahead of DD and Carey, at least because he still has room to develop to become an effective player in the NHL. 1 1/4 NHL experience. People should relax and get a little patience. It's pretty much EVERY young player that gets this treatment around here. McD and Skjei seems to be the only exceptions. Everyone else has been called names, written off as busts and /or put labels without any benefit of forward projection and development progress allowed on their part. You know, something that comes with experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I don't get this either. Calling Vesey AHLer and then complaining that AV was giving him top9 minutes, which by the way he STOPPED doing.

Vesey clearly and deservingly has his spot on the roster ahead of DD and Carey, at least because he still has room to develop to become an effective player in the NHL. 1 1/4 NHL experience. People should relax and get a little patience. It's pretty much EVERY young player that gets this treatment around here. McD and Skjei seems to be the only exceptions. Everyone else has been called names, written off as busts and /or put labels without any benefit of forward projection and development progress allowed on their part. You know, something that comes with experience.

AV plays Vesey on higher lines. He did a lot last year, and early this year as well. He probably will again. AV appears to treat him as a favorite.

I don't think anyone is upset at Vesey on the fourth line. It's Vesey on the second line, power play, etc., that is the problem.

Reactions: Inferno

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
AV plays Vesey on higher lines. He did a lot last year, and early this year as well. He probably will again. AV appears to treat him as a favorite.

I don't think anyone is upset at Vesey on the fourth line. It's Vesey on the second line, power play, etc., that is the problem.

So take it up with AV. Even Glass was brought up. Seriously? Glass made even the 4th line less effective with him on it. Vesey on Nieves' wing is clearly makes it better.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Vesey is still new to the NHL, his game is slowly but surely improving. I don't know why people discount his ability to see the game - he has very solid fundamentals and can score goals from many places on the ice. Plus he works well with Nash who is otherwise a passenger on any other line. Miller has been in the league a lot longer than Vesey and took a while to really get going. Vesey needs the minutes he has the potential to be better than Miller.
Rick Nash is a passenger on any line he's on except for with Vesey? What?

Rick Nash is probably still the best individual at driving offense on this team.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Vesey is in the same category as Zuccarello, Nash, Fast, and Grabner in terms of shift-to-shift consistency. He was that way almost immediately on entering the league. Even though his offense isn’t as productive and obviously the speed isn’t nearly as good, there’s a lot of similarity between his game and Carl Hagelin’s. That’s always going to result in moving up the lineup when the coach feels it’s necessary. Hagelin spent time on our top 2 lines when he was here, even though that never matched his skill level or productivity. Same deal.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
As far as the 'is Vesey an NHLer' arguments, I think people are just overreacting to some of us pointing out that he was very bad to start the season. He was bad enough, that in my opinion, he could of been scratched for a game here or there to try to light a fire under him. AV moved him to the fourth line instead, and he looks to have responded exceptionally to that.

Maybe PB is saying that he shouldn't be in the NHL, but I don't think he is.
No, there are legit people who whine about Vesey every game saying he doesn't belong in the NHL which is assinine because he's a pretty solid 3rd-4th line tweener.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Vesey is in the same category as Zuccarello, Nash, Fast, and Grabner in terms of shift-to-shift consistency. He was that way almost immediately on entering the league. Even though his offense isn’t as productive and obviously the speed isn’t nearly as good, there’s a lot of similarity between his game and Carl Hagelin’s. That’s always going to result in moving up the lineup when the coach feels it’s necessary. Hagelin spent time on our top 2 lines when he was here, even though that never matched his skill level or productivity. Same deal.

Hagelin actually has some skills that stand out that allow him to be effective like elite speed, and excellent board play. These attributes make linemates better. Vesey doesn't really stand out at anything. Hagelin can be deadly in the right situation (HBK) while there has been no evidence that Vesey can do the same.

Grabner is the better Hagelin comparison. similar speed, not as good along the boards, better goal scorer, can slot in higher up in the lineup with the right linemates, but doesn't always fit in the top 6.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So remember all of the talk about how the Rangers would have to play .700 hockey or whatever to make the playoffs after that brutal start? Well, we're seeing it now. Team had been winning at a ridiculous rate and is still only on the playoff bubble. Basically no margin for error.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Nash, Shatty and Hank for my three star. Vesey with the HM. Huge confidence booster for the kid.

The first was not good for several reasons, one of them was that it just was one of those nights.

The 4th was god damn awful though. DD should be played at wing.

Miller was killed by the Sedins before AV changed matchups.​

Sedins have been elite players most of their career - so most centers are killed vs Sedins matchup. Let`s see here Henrik Sedin 112 pts season back in 2009-2010, and Daniel Sedin 104 pts. in 2010-2011 season . And those are record years and in their prime, but they still have elite skills in moments even today hence why Miller struggled to keep it up, and since he has been played out of his natural position for years - it might take a while until he adapt. And the Miller line has only played barely 2 whole games vs. Sedins who have played together for most their NHL career. :)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So remember all of the talk about how the Rangers would have to play .700 hockey or whatever to make the playoffs after that brutal start? Well, we're seeing it now. Team had been winning at a ridiculous rate and is still only on the playoff bubble. Basically no margin for error.
The other thing is that the Rangers haven't really played a lot of games vs the Metro. In fact, I don't think there have been a whole lot of Metro vs Metro so far.

So, once we get more into those "4 point" games, we'll start to see more separation.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Just how the NHL wants it. Even if you take the lack of division games into account, many of them are tightly contested matches with a large % going to OT (my guess is over 1/3) giving the loser point out like Candy Corn on Halloween. Thus keeping all teams in the hunt to the very end, and all fan$ into the game. Due to the loser point you rarely see large separation between more than 1 or 2 teams at the extremes, and even then they tend to revert the pack by seasons end anyway.

Reactions: Synergy27

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My travels and hockey for the next 4 months:

28/11: Fly to Helsinki
1/12: Alumni game Jokerit-SKA
2/12: Outdoor game Jokerit-SKA
3/12: Fly to Vienna
12/12: Fly to Zurich
12/12: CHL game ZSC Lions-Bili Tygri Liberec
13/12: Fly to Vienna
26/12: Fly to NYC
27/12: Train to Buffalo
28/12: Sweden-Czech Republic (World Juniors)
01/01: Winter Classic NHL game Rangers-Sabres
02/01: Fly to Sarasota
06/01: Fly to Phoenix
06/01: Coyotes-Rangers
07/01: Drive to Vegas
07/01: Golden Knights-Rangers
08/01: Drive to Phoenix
14/01: Fly to Vienna
19/01: Fly to St. Petersburg
20/01: KHL game SKA-Amur Khabarovsk
22/01: Fly to Vienna
02/02: Fly to The Hague for Superbowl weekend
04/02: Fly to Vienna
08/03: Fly to Stockholm
09/03: Drive to Goteborg
10/03: SHL game Frolunda-Brynas
11/03: Fly to Vienna

Think you need to get on board of @Siddi private jet. Unless you have one of your own? lol.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So take it up with AV. Even Glass was brought up. Seriously? Glass made even the 4th line less effective with him on it. Vesey on Nieves' wing is clearly makes it better.
Comparing him to glass is based strictly on usage...glass doesn't belong in the nhl...plays 4th line mins and pk. Casey is arguably at best a 45th line winger...plays on the first of second line at times and constantly plays 2nd pp unit mins.

Av sucks....its ok to talk about veseys usage in the vesey thread...even if it's not really his fault. His brain dead turnovers however are his fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad