Post-Game Talk: heave ho! 8 in a row (At home)

3 stars of the game

• Kreider

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Buchnevich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zibanejad

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Nash

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Hayes

• Zuccarello

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Grabner

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Miller

• Desharnais

• Fast

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Carey

• Vesey

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • Skjei

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Shattenkirk

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Smith

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Staal

• Holden

• Kampfer

• Lundqvist

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Thanks for creating this thread. I was at the game and assume the other mods were out, as well. No one pulled the fire alarm while we were out. Good. :)

Reactions: Ori and Siddi

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
To continue the discussion from the GDT, I don't think the Rangers are in a spot where they can fall prey to "trap games". 1. They aren't good enough, 2. They aren't exactly in a good spot in the standings. It was a similar period to many this season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
From last thread, regarding this asinine "is Vesey an NHL player" discussion I didn't really know existed beyond people being pissed off in GDTs:

He's already surpassed my expectations.
He was a third round pick who, at the time of his graduation, projected as a middle-six upside guy. Right now he looks like he's on the lower end of his upside, but of course he could improve. He's certainly an NHL player (I mean, look at some NHL fourth liners around the league...) and he could become a very useful one if his consistency improves. I'm maybe a little underwhelmed by him, but not disappointed.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
It's great that Vesey scored again (in bunches seems to be his way). He does have some real skills, which we saw last season. He has been given a lot of opportunity, and it is nice him getting points. Game winners are not be frowned on. I never got to see the game, but great for them to beat a team like the Canucks who seem to always show up this season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks for creating this thread. I was at the game and assume the other mods were out, as well. No one pulled the fire alarm while we were out. Good. :)

Aww man, if we knew , we would of went a little crazy the past few hours with no mods around.... I kid.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Aww man, if we knew , we would of went a little crazy the past few hours with no mods around.... I kid.
I can kind of mod from mobile, but it's a pain in the ass, even on the new platform.

Weren't you at the game, too? How much trouble can one cause on a phone? Lol, no one answer that...

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyway, chose Nash, Vesey, and Hank as my three stars. I know Hank gave up 3 but made the big saves to keep this game close. Nothing he can do on that horrible turnover right in front of the net, had no time to react. Nash was just amazing, and Pepper still needs new shorts after that pass and goal sequence with Nash and Vesey.

Was sloppy most of the game, even Zucc with some bad passes, but they were able to weather the storm and pull out a win. Glad I went to this game, there were more Canucks fans than I thought there would be, a little surprised.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I can kind of mod from mobile, but it's a pain in the ass, even on the new platform.

Weren't you at the game, too? How much trouble can one cause on a phone? Lol, no one answer that...

It's a shame that I have to create the PGT at 2 f***ing AM when I have to work at 8 haha.

Reactions: Siddi

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah I was at the game also. I literally almost lost my phone in the air after that Nash and Vesey sequence. They had just given up the goal after the Grabner goal, so the place just had the wind knocked out of them after getting pumped from tying the game. The place then exploded, That was how big that Vesey goal was imo.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
As far as the 'is Vesey an NHLer' arguments, I think people are just overreacting to some of us pointing out that he was very bad to start the season. He was bad enough, that in my opinion, he could of been scratched for a game here or there to try to light a fire under him. AV moved him to the fourth line instead, and he looks to have responded exceptionally to that.

Maybe PB is saying that he shouldn't be in the NHL, but I don't think he is.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Ugly game but 2 points is 2 points.

Ziba (Dominating on both ends of the ice)
Vesey (Tied the game and then won it)
Hank (Was great in OT & shootout)

10 wins in the last 12 games

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
As far as the 'is Vesey an NHLer' arguments, I think people are just overreacting to some of us pointing out that he was very bad to start the season.
The entire team besides Mika were bad to start the season.They all should have been benched for the Wolfpack lol

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
From last thread, regarding this asinine "is Vesey an NHL player" discussion I didn't really know existed beyond people being pissed off in GDTs:

He was a third round pick who, at the time of his graduation, projected as a middle-six upside guy. Right now he looks like he's on the lower end of his upside, but of course he could improve. He's certainly an NHL player (I mean, look at some NHL fourth liners around the league...) and he could become a very useful one if his consistency improves. I'm maybe a little underwhelmed by him, but not disappointed.

He's basically useless outside the top-6, and doesn't deserve to be there. He can't create offense on his own. He had a nice goal today, and scored in the shootout, and that's great, and I hope he keeps scoring, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Vesey is good at one thing, and that's getting into the correct position to get a good attempt off. You can't really teach that. But, that's all he's good at. His two-way game is brutal. If he's not scoring, he's hurting you, and he doesn't score very often.

Across the last two seasons, he's skated 1200 minutes of 5v5 time. Among the 153 forwards who meet that same threshold, he's 6th to last in total points. 15th to last in primary points. 11th to last in p/60. 24th to last in primary points per 60.

If you want to get more advanced, he's:

6th to last in relative shot attempt %
4th to last in relative expected goals %
3rd to last in relative goals %

[all data via Corsica.Hockey]

So. In my opinion, via my eyes and some analysis, it's not totally outrageous to believe that Jimmy Vesey might not be an "NHL Player". I maintain that it is extremely unfortunate that he was not sent to the AHL last year, and that it sucks that he would need waivers to do it this year, because if he didn't, I'd send him to the A now.

Are there better options in the Rangers organization right now? Probably not. Should Vesey continue to be shoehorned into the top-6 every chance AV gets? No way.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Not their best game but getting the 2 points was huge. It would be great if they could, ya know, realize that games actually do start in the 1st period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad