Post-Game Talk: Heartbreaking But We Have To Accept It... (Habs 1-2 Caps)

DOTG? (04/04/2019)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I like the rebuilding we are doing right now. Lots of good prospects coming in.

I don't care if he's fired or not. That's the difference, some of you seem to can't sleep at night until he's fired. Let's fire him when we will want to contend. For now, it's a getting younger period.

Bof. Yea, he's probably better, but you're as good as your scouts (pro and amateur). I don't think the problem is the GM right now, it's lack of #1 C. Kotkaniemi could be that but I think he's a #2 most likely.

" I don't think the person in charge of building the roster, who has been unable to find a #1 C in 7 years, I the problem".

Interesting logic.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

I don't care if he's fired or not. That's the difference, some of you seem to can't sleep at night until he's fired. Let's fire him when we will want to contend. For now, it's a getting younger period.

Bof. Yea, he's probably better, but you're as good as your scouts (pro and amateur). I don't think the problem is the GM right now, it's lack of #1 C. Kotkaniemi could be that but I think he's a #2 most likely.

Yzerman was much smarter than the Habs ...in 2010 about 60 days after he took over as GM in Tampa Bay , he hired Julien Bresbois who was in the Habs org at the time....Look back on that 9 years later

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Take Byron out. He is still shaken from his fight. Should not play in a meanless game. Replace him with Poehling just to give him a taste.

That turnover was very uncharacteristic of him. He was totally unaware of his surroundings.

Poehling should have played last night in Byron's place.

Reactions: Benstheman

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

I don't care if he's fired or not. That's the difference, some of you seem to can't sleep at night until he's fired.

Good prospects. No top talent though and that'S even worse if Kotkaniemi doesn't become a good 1C. And whose fault is that that we don't have a 1C 7 years into his tenure? As for being as good a his scouts, one of the GMs responsibility is to choose the people he works/build with. Moot point. Like you, I'm indifferent to what happens to him. But I must admit, that's mainly because I didn't follow the team as much in the last 2 seasons, not because of his (lack of) competence. Put it any way you want, but 2 seasons of missing the playoffs in Montreal is not something that you want happening too often. 3 in a row? Bergevin probably doesn't even want to think about it. Which is why it will be harder for him to stay the course and rebuild properly. With 2 seasons in a row of missing the playoffs, pressure will be high on him for the team to make it to the post-season next year. Not making it this season despite multiple players having career years and Price playing on his head is not a very good sign for the future in my opinion. Add to that the fact that our good prospects are not exactly knocking the big team's door. I believe it will be that much harder to make the playoffs next year, take a look at the overachieving teams in the last few years and their following seasons. Hard to believe Bergevin won't be tempted to trade away futures this summer. We'll see, but I don't see how this is satisfying.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Yzerman was much smarter than the Habs ...in 2010 about 60 days after he took over as GM in Tampa Bay , he hired Julien Bresbois who was in the Habs org at the time....Look back on that 9 years later

If the Habs has promoted him to AGM, or maybe a SVP title, would that have protected him from being poached?

In hindsight that was a critical loss.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
" I don't think the person in charge of building the roster, who has been unable to find a #1 C in 7 years, I the problem".

Interesting logic.

Maybe I explained myself badly. You're as good as your scouts. You want a #1 center ? Draft one. Tavares didn't want to come to Mtl. I guess it's Bergevin's fault. Finishing last and drafting Hughes would have helped us but the players went to play this year.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Lol the game before Byron was one of our best Foward. He was everywhere, created occasion on the first and even created a goal for Thompson. Then yesterday he had a meh game and yall like "he shouldnt hes not ready" hmmm okk.... yall really are bipolar lol. & Stop thinkin that Prospects that haven't played 1 game in the NHL are better the all the bottom six player we have. Switch Byron for Poehling when youre in a must win situation it's ridiculous.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Good prospects. No top talent though and that'S even worse if Kotkaniemi doesn't become a good 1C. And whose fault is that that we don't have a 1C 7 years into his tenure? As for being as good a his scouts, one of the GMs responsibility is to choose the people he works/build with. Moot point. Like you, I'm indifferent to what happens to him. But I must admit, that's mainly because I didn't follow the team as much in the last 2 seasons, not because of his (lack of) competence. Put it any way you want, but 2 seasons of missing the playoffs in Montreal is not something that you want happening too often. 3 in a row? Bergevin probably doesn't even want to think about it. Which is why it will be harder for him to stay the course and rebuild properly. With 2 seasons in a row of missing the playoffs, pressure will be high on him for the team to make it to the post-season next year. Not making it this season despite multiple players having career years and Price playing on his head is not a very good sign for the future in my opinion. Add to that the fact that our good prospects are not exactly knocking the big team's door. I believe it will be that much harder to make the playoffs next year, take a look at the overachieving teams in the last few years and their following seasons. Hard to believe Bergevin won't be tempted to trade away futures this summer. We'll see, but I don't see how this is satisfying.

Bergevin doesn't need to save his job to make playoffs (his contracts run for a few years still) . Only Molson could ask him to do that.

Jul 6, 2016
Disappointing to be so close and missing.... Habs did not win the MUST win games . + With a half decent PP, they possibly would had finished ahead of TO, too.

But, most of the nights, that team was very entertaining to watch. Team spirit never been as good since years. Nobody would had bet that this team would be competing for a Playoffs spot for so long without Weber out for a significant amount of games at the top of the season. And with such a crappy looking D-cast.

Off season moves: find on the market (UFA or trade) a scoring winger (with a good shot on PP) and a top-four left D-Man. I know some folks would like a total cleanup of the management and coaching crews, but it won't happen. It needs some tweakings for sure. Timmins and Muller out to start with.

Reactions: habergeon

LaFloater

Jan 23, 2014
Burlington
I feel for fans of this team who are 30 and under. All they have known is garbage teams, mediocre teams and brief periods of success. There are no cups and too many years out of the playoffs since the last championship. Whats really scary is how low the bar is. People are excited to be making the playoffs with a team that has personnel that could never go all the way. So many older fans like me now feel indifferent to Habs because of the embarrassing management and coaching. We should be demanding much more and holding Molson to account. Fire these clowns and clean house. Hire the best people regardless of French language ability and get us back to where we belong!

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
didnt lose because of goaltending.

Habs lost because they could not score.

Bourque and Larry lead the team in scoring. Enough said.
Torkarski was excellent in that series all things considered.

Again, we’ve been conditioned for over 30 years to believe that we only stand a chance with perfect goaltending.

Reactions: PaulD

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I feel for fans of this team who are 30 and under. All they have known is garbage teams, mediocre teams and brief periods of success. There are no cups and too many years out of the playoffs since the last championship. Whats really scary is how low the bar is. People are excited to be making the playoffs with a team that has personnel that could never go all the way. So many older fans like me now feel indifferent to Habs because of the embarrassing management and coaching. We should be demanding much more and holding Molson to account. Fire these clowns and clean house. Hire the best people regardless of French language ability and get us back to where we belong!
I’m 32. I have a certain memory of the ‘’93 team but obviously my understanding of the game wasn’t there.

We’re being brainwashed into thinking preserving a cultural identity and pimping out history is more important than winning in the modern age. These people don’t realise that one day all those legends they wheel out from past cup winning teams will one day not be with us... just what will the Habs do then? Patrick Roy is already 54 years old.... I guess that gives them 30 years to keep up the same nonsense.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Regardless of what anyone says, that was a hell of a season. These past few years had me feeling like the Habs were really losing me or at least my interest as a fan, it was just hard to want to put any energy into this team. But this year was different. This team was exciting, fun to watch and they felt like a team I could genuinely get behind and cheer for. The boys made me proud this season and I’m already stoked for next year.

Sword

May 26, 2014
didnt lose because of goaltending.

Habs lost because they could not score.

Bourque and Larry lead the team in scoring. Enough said.

And MT still refused to give those 2 any powerplay time even though they were the leading scorers.

Reactions: PaulD

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Old man here too. Teams of the 70s and 80s had many francophones. I believe there are francophone players out there unhappy or misused by their teams who would give a little extra effort to play in Mtl. I would target them without going nuts. Drouin for Sergachev wasnt nuts.

We never hear about Rejean Tremblay being responsible for the Daneault trade. but the Drouin deal not doing so great is on him. Sure.

Carolina is allowed to make the playoffs too.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
It aint over until it’s over, so I’m going to wait and see. I admit it’s not looking good, but anything can happen these last two games.

Regardless if we make the playoffs or not, we definitely need a few changes.

Drouin – Gone. Period. 2 points in 2 months while we are fighting for our playoff lives is indefensible. Hopefully he has a semblance of value left, but he has to be toast. Inexcusable.

Power Play – Whoever is responsible for that (and I think it’s Muller) has to go. Period. Indefensible. That lack of production alone cost us at least 2-3 wins this season, and a playoff spot.

Donald Audette, Serge Boisvert, Vic Posa & Dave Starman – These scouts are responsible for identifying potential NHL future talent in the QMJHL and NCAA. Philadelphia and Tampa Bay do a much better job of scouting the Q and it’s ridiculous the amount of quality talent coming out of the east that we absolutely miss on. Remember, when Bergevin was hired, he promised an emphasis on scouting the Q. The same goes for the NCAA, where we whiff year after year on undrafted talent. Time to change things up.

Bergevin – Put Timmons in there, Put Mellanby in there. I don’t care, but this arrogant clown has to go. He traded for Drouin, he kept Muller and the struggling PP and he kept the scouts. That's just this year, he has a laundry list of inept mistakes made year after year. We are what, 7 years in now? How many times has he changed directions? He has more visions that a shaman on strong peyote.

This would be a nice start.

Reactions: Koivu11

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
Lol @ people voting for Drouin for the DOTG.

Byron was directly responsible for, at the very least, the second goal, if not both goals.

I love Byron and Gallagher, but for two of our leaders they surely didn't step up on the score sheet when it mattered most in the last two weeks. Domi also had a pretty bad game.
People are too busy finding any opportunity to bash JD to actually have any sort of objective reasoning, especially after last nights loss.
Sure, he has 2 pts in about 2 months, but there are 11 other forwards dressed every night.
Sucks that we lost and it's frustrating that we were so close but other than Weber's goal, the leaders on this team didn't really step up to the plate when it was all on the line for the team. I don't include Price in that because he's obviously a big reason behind fighting for a playoff spot, he's shown up to with his best for the last 10-15 games.
But then again, there are people who will point the finger at Price the same way others do with JD.
It is what it is, I understand that this fan base always requires a designated scapegoat.

Reactions: Le Tricolore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad