Post-Game Talk: Heartbreaking But We Have To Accept It... (Habs 1-2 Caps)

DOTG? (04/04/2019)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Erik Karlsson will be a Montreal Canadien next season.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST, REMEMBER!

It’s happening, Book it.

Our Franchise is about to make a shocking turn next season.

The idiot will surprise us all in the off-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
It's not as simple. Our division has 3 of the 5 worst teams in the league. And you play more games against division rivals.
We also have 3 of the top 4 teams in the league by GD (which is a better measure of actual team strength than simple w/l). Including a team having one of the best all time seasons in the sport.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Erik Karlsson will be a Montreal Canadien next season.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST, REMEMBER!

It’s happening, Book it. I feel it in my soul.

Our Franchise is about to make a shocking turn next season.

IF Bergevin can pull this off he will be completely redeemed in my opinion. And I hate the guy.

why would EK signs with the habs.
So Panarin, Anders Lee, Duchene and Karlsson will sign with the habs.
I'd be happy if one of them signs

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Wherever the Habs end up picking, that prospect is likely to b come their #1 prospect and they've already got a pretty group of prospects.

Which means they have valuable assets and the more you have, the more flexibility you have to address roster needs.

This idea that if you're not drafting in the top 5, that you pretty much may as well not draft anyone at all....

Has become such a tired narrative

Don't we both know it! Every time the habs draft it doesn't matter who it is, they instantly catapult over the sorry gaggle of prospects the habs desperately clutch at only to become the next great trade forum annoyance or epic 3rd liner. You and I both know how miserable this team is at developing anyone but why don't you dust off the old "look how many games our prospects have played" pie chart again, don't worry i'll pretend like it matters.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Don't we both know it! Every time the habs draft it doesn't matter who it is, they instantly catapult over the sorry gaggle of prospects the habs desperately clutch at only to become the next great trade forum annoyance or epic 3rd liner. You and I both know how miserable this team is at developing anyone but why don't you dust off the old "look how many games our prospects have played" pie chart again, don't worry i'll pretend like it matters.
You seem to enjoy being miserable about the Habs..

Why would I get in the way of that?

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I think Karlsson signing here is less likley than Tavares was, Less Likley than Habs winning the lottery this year. Why on earth would he do that?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I’m 32. I have a certain memory of the ‘’93 team but obviously my understanding of the game wasn’t there.

We’re being brainwashed into thinking preserving a cultural identity and pimping out history is more important than winning in the modern age. These people don’t realise that one day all those legends they wheel out from past cup winning teams will one day not be with us... just what will the Habs do then? Patrick Roy is already 54 years old.... I guess that gives them 30 years to keep up the same nonsense.
"just what will the habs do then"

Keep with the Maple Leaf plan.

I remember laughing at Leaf fans in the early 90s when it became 25 years since they won a cup. (Without even going to the finals). Now thats where we are.

But they are over 50 now. lol

I have little doubt the Canadiens can match them.....again.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

He is right about player development. In that crucial department Canadiens are not nearly as good as the teams they have to beat. Even the most casual fan can see that.

Unless that changes fans will continue to celebrate like they did this season........A lottery team that over achieved to become a bubble team. yay!

When did the Habs become "the little train that could" of the league.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
He is right about player development. In that crucial department Canadiens are not nearly as good as the teams they have to beat. Even the most casual fan can see that.

Unless that changes fans will continue to celebrate like they did this season........A lottery team that over achieved to become a bubble team. yay!

It’s sickening. It really is. The Montreal Canadiens have won a BIG BIG 24 Stanley cups and a generation later people are just grateful to be an underdog. Disgusting.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It’s sickening. It really is. The Montreal Canadiens have won a BIG BIG 24 Stanley cups and a generation later people are just grateful to be an underdog. Disgusting.
Yep.
I mean what a major demolition job mind f@#% of a job where missing the play offs can even remotely be considered a "successful season"

Applauding the Gm too boot. :biglaugh:

Disgusting...I agree.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Unless that changes fans will continue to celebrate like they did this season
I've witnessed a lot of development this year, not sure what team you watched.

So I don't think even when things change, some fans have the desire to embrace it.

.......A lottery team that over achieved to become a bubble team. yay!
Teams rarely, if ever, go from lottery team to Cup champs in 12 months...so progress is what I was hoping for this year and progress is what I saw.

Is that enough?

No, but I also wasn't expecting them to become contenders overnight.

That's just me though.

Not sure what this means...

This isn't the 70's anymore...the Habs and they're fans aren't anymore entitled to success as other teams are.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Saying the Habs don't develop players is not a realistic assessment.

It's an "the Habs got eliminated yesterday so my world is over" emotional assessment.
We develop players at a poorer rate compared to some of the best teams in the league, and most of those have better star power on top.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We develop players at a poorer rate compared to some of the best teams in the league, and most of those have better star power on top.
I'm not sure how accurate this is...and I don't think it matters.

Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi, McCarron...the cautionary tales you're likely referring too are long gone.

So that's irrelevant for me, all I care about is where this team is headed right now.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I'm not sure how accurate this is...and I don't think it matters.

Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi, McCarron...the cautionary tales you're likely referring too are long gone.

So that's irrelevant for me, all I care about is where this team is headed right now.
And for most of us this team isn’t on the up unless big, brave moves are made. Moves that you can’t trust the GM to make.

This team left very little on the table, several players had an excellent season, and the CH still didn’t make it. All in all, we still have a very flawed roster that now has a lesser chance to get an elite talent via the draft.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And for most of us this team isn’t on the up unless big, brave moves are made. Moves that you can’t trust the GM to make.
Whose "most of us"?

Is this the same "most of us" who thought the Galchenyuk for Domi trade was the worst trade ever?

I don't expect fans, especially Habs fans, to think things are on the up. I always expect Habs fans to expect the worse, that what we do.

This team left very little on the table, several players had an excellent season, and the CH still didn’t make it. All in all, we still have a very flawed roster that now has a lesser chance to get an elite talent via the draft.
The Habs will end up missing the playoffs by basically 1 win...and it's not like this is an aging team, yes they still have holes on the roster.

But last year at this time, things were hopeless at center...today things look MUCH better.

Hopefully, similar progress can be made in other areas of the roster, at the very least, you should be able to acknowledge that it IS possible to address roster needs with some creativity.

IMO, the only way the Habs are going to become contenders, is by accumulating as many assets as they can prospect wise, so more drafts like we've had the last 2yrs...we've got another 10 picks this draft, another strong draft and the asset base of this team will, IMO, be the best it's been in many years.

And yes, despite common belief, it's possible to add talent via the draft even out of the top 5. Most of this teams prospects were acquired outside the top 5, actually, all of them were.

So you're certainly entitled to think things are bad...that's your right and for many Habs fans, it's a way of life.

But I'm also entitled to feel like there's hope and there's been progress this year. That's what I wanted to see this year and on that front, I'm satisfied.

Next year, my expectations will be higher...

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

Miserable over a hockey team!? Don't make me laugh. I just find it fascinating how people still come in here with excuses and platitudes that were tired back in gaineys day while the team is just a total failure year in and out. Keep defending this management, you remind me of this

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I wouldn't be shocked if the team took a step back next year, but it's definitely no given.

You talk about these career years. Some might decline in their production, while others have more to give. 5 on 5 scoring may come down, but the chances of the PP being 31st again are low as well.

What this organization has alot more of now than this point last year is hope. They need to continue down this path. Don't deal guys like kotka, Romanov, brook, and Suzuki in an effort to accelerate the process.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I've witnessed a lot of development this year, not sure what team you watched.

So I don't think even when things change, some fans have the desire to embrace it.

Teams rarely, if ever, go from lottery team to Cup champs in 12 months...so progress is what I was hoping for this year and progress is what I saw.

Is that enough?

No, but I also wasn't expecting them to become contenders overnight.

That's just me though.

Not sure what this means...

This isn't the 70's anymore...the Habs and they're fans aren't anymore entitled to success as other teams are.
Lower that bar buddy.

What the hell does the 70's have to do with it?? You Bergevin fans love that line. throw in "this aint play station" and 'trades are hard" while you are at it. :laugh: "get a dog"

Who took them to lottery team? The same guy that is gonna "develop" them. You think he will. I think he wont. 70s has nothing to do with my low opinion of Mac Bergevins capabilities as a GM. Pretty hard not to improve a team that he just burried in the mud the year before. His squad missed play offs 3 of 4 years. Its hilarious how he was trying to make the play offs in 017 and 018...now missing them was a sure fire thing and it was all part of the plan was it? :laugh:

They hit bottom in 016. The great MB was gonna change things. They hit bottom again in 018. The Great MB is gonna change change things. His squad misses the play offs again in 019 and now ....this is success. He should just change his name and he can really be the new GM that is gonna clean up the old GMs mess. :help:

I laugh when the kool aid drinkers are baffled when some of us express no confidence in this GM. The "what ever do you mean" come backs are a joke. "Look at the development this season".

But hey. Hes probably bought himself 5 more years with lowering the bar.

He is breaking new records though. Only Habs GM to last this long with this many garbage seasons. Likely he will have many more in front of him. What with the parade some fans have planned for this years unbelievable season. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Deluded Puck

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Miserable over a hockey team!? Don't make me laugh. I just find it fascinating how people still come in here with excuses and platitudes that were tired back in gaineys day while the team is just a total failure year in and out. Keep defending this management, you remind me of this

How you got me defending management from that post is a wonder.

I literally only talked about you lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Lower that bar buddy.

What the hell does the 70's have to do with it?? You Bergevin fans love that line. throw in "this aint play station" and 'trades are hard" while you are at it. :laugh: "get a dog"

Who took them to lottery team? The same guy that is gonna "develop" them. You think he will. I think he wont. 70s has nothing to do with my low opinion of Mac Bergevins capabilities as a GM. Pretty hard not to improve a team that he just burried in the mud the year before. His squad missed play offs 3 of 4 years. Its hilarious how he was trying to make the play offs in 017 and 018...now missing them was a sure fire thing and it was all part of the plan was it? :laugh:

They hit bottom in 016. The great MB was gonna change things. They hit bottom again in 018. The Great MB is gonna change change things. His squad misses the play offs again in 019 and now ....this is success. He should just change his name and he can really be the new GM that is gonna clean up the old GMs mess. :help:

I laugh when the kool aid drinkers are baffled when some of us express no confidence in this GM. The "what ever do you mean" come backs are a joke. "Look at the development this season".

But hey. Hes probably bought himself 5 more years with lowering the bar.

He is breaking new records though. Only Habs GM to last this long with this many garbage seasons. Likely he will have many more in front of him. What with the parade some fans have planned for this years unbelievable season. :sarcasm:
Bergevin fans...god you guys are so tired with that.

I haven't even mentioned the guy's name.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
4 points behind the leafs and we are golfing......are you kidding me NHL......get your shit together already.....and they extended this playoff format another year....time to hang Gary by his American balless sack......fml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->