Hearing for Khaira/Fine for Dunn - 2 Games for Khaira

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Depending on the length here (i.e. if it's just one game), I'm fine with this.

I think the refs got it right on the ice. Clearly Dunn started it but his sucker punch wasn't delivered with nearly as much violence and on video it appeared to be moreso a roughing as it looked more like glove getting JJ instead of stick. Possibly some stick was there but intent to me looked like he was delivering a punch without letting go of his stick.

Similar plays with similar level of violence wouldn't often injure a player. Whereas JJ came back pretty violently and though Dunn seemed to play it up a bit, JJ really could have hurt him badly with that shot. As such, 5 minutes vs. 2 seemed fair, just like if JJ gets one game vs. Dunn's fine, I think it's fair.

Now if the league tries to turn it into 3+ games, I won't agree with it as there wasn't any premediation or history with JJ. This was spur of the moment over-reaction that he will learn from.

I also don't mind that JJ did it, as guys give you a little more space if they think you have potential to go off like that.

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
Guaranteed if Dunn had gotten the same penalty in game as Khaira they would get the same punishment afterwards. I guess the league doesn't want to make it seem like the refs got it wrong. They are more interested in protecting the ego of their refs than the safety of the players.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Honestly think it is worth 2 games but the league just losses respect when they only fine one player and suspend the other.

Reactions: TB12 and Aerrol

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
Honestly think it is worth 2 games but the league just losses respect when they only fine one player and suspend the other.
No doubt, 100% deserving of a 2 game suspension but when the other guy gets a joke fine for doing the same thing it's total BS. Even if they thought Khaira's was worse, Dunn still gave him a hard cross check to the head, even if he got 1 game it would have been more respectable.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Aerrol

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
If JJ went down from Dunns initial crosscheck then I think Dunn gets the 2 games. However JJ is bigger, Stronger, and probably tougher. Which in this situation ended up being more of a negative than a positive. Going down/milking it is the difference. If Dunn stays up then maybe its 2 minutes each for roughing or nothing at all.

No complaints, have to earn respect in this league and Khaira is doing it.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
In a vacuum, 2 games is harsh for a first offender acting in retaliation, but justifiable.

However for the initiator to get 2 minutes and a laughable fine just reinforces the lack of accountability that leads these guys not learning anything except that you're just expected to take it and hope the refs were watching, only for the refs to maaaaaybe call it if you drop to the ground wincing.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
No doubt, 100% deserving of a 2 game suspension but when the other guy gets a joke fine for doing the same thing it's total BS. Even if they thought Khaira's was worse, Dunn still gave him a hard cross check to the head, even if he got 1 game it would have been more respectable.
Too me you can't look at it as separate. If they felt Dunn deserved a fine Khaira gets a game. If they wanted to suspend Kharia two games then Dunn needs one. They are relatively the same action, though khaira puts more into his and doesn't fall over like bambi on ice. The NHL can't use that Dunn got injured as an excuse since they didn't even follow their own concussion protocols

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
If JJ went down from Dunns initial crosscheck then I think Dunn gets the 2 games. However JJ is bigger, Stronger, and probably tougher. Which in this situation ended up being more of a negative than a positive.

No complaints, have to earn respect in this league and Khaira is doing it.
Unfortunately this also sends the message that if you crosscheck someone in the neck who's not gonna dive, you're pretty well safe. If they take it into their own hands, oh well, you get a bruise and your team gets a 5 minute pp. If they just take it and keep playing, the refs probably won't call anything since he didn't drop to the ground and cry.

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
Too me you can't look at it as separate. If they felt Dunn deserved a fine Khaira gets a game. If they wanted to suspend Kharia two games then Dunn needs one. They are relatively the same action, though khaira puts more into his and doesn't fall over like bambi on ice. The NHL can't use that Dunn got injured as an excuse since they didn't even follow their own concussion protocols
Well I totally think it should be the same but if for some reason the league thinks Khaira's hit was worse, it was only marginally. The margin in no way justifies the difference in punishment.

The more I watch it the more identical the hits look, the biggest difference is the reactions.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Such a soft p***y league. I hope this doesn't change Khaira's physicality, or else he will lose a lot of effectiveness. Dunn is a loser bitch.

Buttman and co. are so clueless, they target this yet turn a blind eye to instigator bullshit a la Marchand & Turtlechuk.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
League is butthurt about Hitchcock eloquently calling them out for embarrassingly neutering star players. They really don't know how to market the unique attractive qualities of the sport, which is why it will always be second / third tier in the US. I bet if the game was played more like it is internationally, it would have more appeal. (Yes, I realize that means a little less physical, but more consistent reffing, more open ice for speed and skill plays.)

Can't wait until Buttman retires.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Well I totally think it should be the same but if for some reason the league thinks Khaira's hit was worse, it was only marginally. The margin in no way justifies the difference in punishment.

The more I watch it the more identical the hits look, the biggest difference is the reactions.

Oh wow, that really is the same play with a totally different reaction. Difference being Dunn did it for no good reason, and Khaira had a reason. If they would have called it dead after the initial crosscheck, Khaira wouldn't have had to take it into his own hands.

He's clearly watching the play and blinded by a crosscheck to the neck, continues to follow the play and likely sees no arms go up, so thinks the refs aren't watching and goes for his own form of justice.

Like people have said, it's selfish In a game that close at that time, but I'm sick and tired of these disgusting rats running rampant throughout the league. If the refs are gonna call them on their shit, I have no issues with guys teaching them a lesson of their own.

The fact that these fines and suspensions and even penalties, are related to how hurt the opponent happens to be is horse shit.

If crosscheck a guy in the neck and he's paralyzed, the penalty should be the same as the same check that results in no injuries.

What kind of message does it send that if you wanna draw a call you've gotta act like a sniper shot you or the refs won't even look your way, or risk being seen as the guy who doesn't stand up for himself?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad