Hearing for Khaira/Fine for Dunn - 2 Games for Khaira

glendroid

Mar 17, 2009

Thanks for acknowledging your mistake NHL, but not actually doing anything of substance about it. Modern day refereeing is determining calls by result instead of reffing to prevent these results from happening.

Reactions: TB12

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Great consistency, and it definitely takes into account context like provocation.

I would also like to send up a 'thank you' to the war room for its continued success in making good calls. Last night wouldn't have been possible were they not able to deduce where the puck was in relation to the line.

Reactions: nabob and Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think we all knew Khaira was going to get a call. He got mad and cross checked Dunn in the head harder.

He’s probably going to get a game or two.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
Ridiculous, they both did the same thing, should be same punishment. Maybe Khaira hit him a little harder but he's also bigger.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I didn't see the play but twitter offered me this visual. Is Khaira just getting more because it was in retaliation? Or do the pictures not do the checks justice?

I think because it was a retaliation and it was definitely harder.

Make no mistake, Dunn’s was cheap but Khaira’s was stupid and selfish especially at that point in the game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I didn't see the play but twitter offered me this visual. Is Khaira just getting more because it was in retaliation? Or do the pictures not do the checks justice?

Khaira’s was slightly harder, but Dunn REALLY sold it vs Khaira who stayed up. It’s ridiculous that a flop is going to result in a harsher penalty for Khaira

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Watching the game, actually watching, and not judging from a picture frame I felt the Khaira crosscheck was clearly worse. Dunns was more of a elbow or punch, one armof it made contact. Khaira two hand cross checked Dunn in the head and followed through a lot harder.

Also thought Khaira gave Dunn some extra into the boards on the check that preceded, no biggy, but lets just say the opposite of letting up when you have someone on the boards. Of course Dunn was upset, then of course Khaira was upset but the latter is on a team that was behind and needed to get back in the game. It was a selfish infraction and that said I have no issue with the player doing it. Mistakes in judgement occur, Khaira will learn from it. He's also done one more thing that will make opponents question getting into it with him.

An adverse thing though, aside from possible suspension is he's now also on the NHL watch list in addition to Lucic and Kassian always being there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Khaira’s was slightly harder, but Dunn REALLY sold it vs Khaira who stayed up. It’s ridiculous that a flop is going to result in a harsher penalty for Khaira

Maybe ridiculous, but expected. Players going down and hitting the deck elicit calls. This is nothing new. Khaira has the option of doing that as well to draw a penalty. I don't like the tactic but this is the NHL state of affairs and how they officiate. Not a new thing either. Act like you are injured and the infraction scale escalates immediately. For instance there is no way, none, that this would be given 5 and a game if Dunn hadn't acted like he was grievously hurt.

Reactions: The Nuge

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think because it was a retaliation and it was definitely harder.

Make no mistake, Dunn’s was cheap but Khaira’s was stupid and selfish especially at that point in the game.

I see, the harder part makes sense, but I don't think a suspension should be more warranted because it was a retaliatory move. If anything it should be embarassing for the league because if they make the right calls in the first place, they wouldn't have time to retaliate.

Agreed that it was selfish though especially at that point in the game.

Hopefully Khaira learns from it though and keeps his dirty hits as the initial hits and no more retaliatory ones :sarcasm:

Reactions: Taytro

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have no problem with Khaira sticking up for himself.

Exactly, had he done it without provocation I'd be pissed. The fact of the matter is that Dunn didn't like being hit so he crosschecked Jujhar to the back of the head/neck, if Khaira gets suspended then so should Dunn. The next time that we play someone needs to fill this POS in and hopefully it's Jujhar.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Easy for you to say, you weren't given a crosscheck to the head/neck from behind because Dunn is a ****ing baby that can't handle clean hits.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
That POS Dunn started it with a dirty crosscheck after a clean hit, he got exactly what he deserved, Khaira shouldn't get a damn thing as he wasn't the one that instigated it.

Agreed, but what Kharia did was pretty nasty too. I think they should both get the same punishment (and I think there should be some punishment). It's not Kharia's fault he's stronger than whimpy Dunn.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Easy for you to say, you weren't given a crosscheck to the head/neck from behind because Dunn is a ****ing baby that can't handle clean hits.

Its narrative. We all see what we want to and we are Oilers fans. Its undeniable Khaira started the instance by giving Dunn some extra on the hit into the boards. No prob as far as I'm concerned, its a hockey play. But Dunn responds with an infractable action and gets a penalty and fine. Khaira responded with more egregious retaliation and gets more.

We need a video here of the whole sequence. I suspect when the NHl rules we will have more info to link to and review. I don't think the Oilers got jobbed here. had Dunn not got anything at all then I could see that argument. What Khaira did was worse. More force, blatant, and obvious being that it was retaliation.

Khaira needs to learn from it and he will.

Reactions: bone

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I feel that the hardness/intent of the crosschecks were the exact same. However.. Khaira was moving away from Dunn, while Dunn was standing still.

They both put the same effort into hurting the other but Khaira did the most damage thanks to physics.

Edit: Both crosschecks were in retaliation. Dunn retaliated to a clean hit, Khaira retaliated to a dirty hit. Please get that into your thicc skulls

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad