OT: Health and Fitness Thread

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I used to be big into the pre-workouts until my former roomate (who was in school to be a doctor) told me that black coffee works just as well (for 1/50th the price). I've been drinking a cup of black coffee before the gym for years now.

I want to start this by saying do what works for you. No need to change, nor am I advocating for anyone to use preworkouts. I also don’t want to come off as an exercise snob, either.

Coffee does not have a the amino acids that preworkouts do, that have proven to be effective in assisting in physical performance. From my personal experience, my preworkout mix absolutely assists in my workouts more than coffee.

Coffee does have caffiene, which is found in most preworkouts, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKingPin

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I used to hate running, but after I got talked into doing my first 5K, I got hooked. And I managed to cut my PR down from 27:20 to just over 23 minutes in 20 months.

I can’t stand going for a run, unless it’s trail running. That’s the only way I can get into that runner’s high

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I used to hate running too but it’s like lifting, you do it enough you start to enjoy it and feel guilty when you don’t do it. Running helps clear my head, but good tunes are an absolute must.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I have a hard time exercising (or doing anything) non-competitively. Like, I have no interest in going and wearing myself out in a run, but if you challenge me to a two-mile race right now I'm all the way in it. People always go "Compete with yourself/previous times/whatever" and that, for me, does nothing at all whatsoever.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I lift almost every day. With young kids I usually have to get up early to workout. Around 430 am. That’s the best way to do it. You can’t lift after a long day but you can practice or in my case take the kids swimming, sledding etc. just drink lots of coffee! I would 100% get a good meal plan for your goals. It’s pretty easy to calculate by finding stuff online.

Find your BMR. Have a surplus in calories for gains if your too thin or a deficit to cut body fat. Figure out the protein you need first then the fats and then fill the rest with carbs. Lean protein, healthy fats, complex carbs. 1-2 cheat meals a week.

I used to lift without a real meal plan but when I was waking up early and sacrificing more I wanted every rep to count so I got with a remote personal trainer whose been awesome. Also with you training so much I’d look into BCAAs to help retain muscle.

Yea core stuff is very important.

And Jagr could be more built or cut if he ate that way. You don’t need to be on steroid to be ripped. Just takes longer and is harder. All about diet!

I usually go at 6 am mon-fri, I work 12 hr overnight shifts and get off at 6 am so if I didn’t go at that time there’s no way I’d be able to drag myself out of bed in time to make it there and still have time to do the stuff I need to do before work.

My sleep schedule is something I really need to improve on.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Never took a roid in my life. I am the little runt in my family at 6'6 and alittle over 260 but its pure a clean and hard working that gets you by in anything you do. Up early and going hard all day long.

Never took roids? Tell us more about how your life’s failures.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I used to be big into the pre-workouts until my former roomate (who was in school to be a doctor) told me that black coffee works just as well (for 1/50th the price). I've been drinking a cup of black coffee before the gym for years now.
Like Vlad, I’m just putting info out there. Not saying anyone needs to do anything. I’m not a trainer. Just my thoughts:

It doesn’t work as well. Caffeine will wake you up but that’s about it. There’s also a lot of caffeine at once in there and that’s not good for you. I workout at night sometimes so I don’t want the ones with caffeine. Intra/preworkout have branched chain amino acids which are the building blocks of proteins. The specific 3 in the preworkouts have been found to stop muscle breakdown during higher intensity workouts like running. You need to drink a lot of water. Like a gallon a day. Water is very important. If you are trying to build muscle I wouldn’t do much cardio at all. It’s going to work against you. Again just my thoughts. I have other supplements I take that are somewhat above the stuff typically taken. It’s all
Meant to help a little extra, extra few reps. You still have to go hard and push yourself...

Reactions: VladDrag

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I usually go at 6 am mon-fri, I work 12 hr overnight shifts and get off at 6 am so if I didn’t go at that time there’s no way I’d be able to drag myself out of bed in time to make it there and still have time to do the stuff I need to do before work.

My sleep schedule is something I really need to improve on.

Working out will help sleeping during the day which I’m sure you’ve experienced.

Reactions: Grebinator

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Never. My dad and bro are both 6'7 and over 300 and my cousins are big boys too. I take training very serious and cardio also and i train 2 times a day.

imagine how much further you could have taken your athletic career had you dabbled in exogenous hormones.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
imagine how much further you could have taken your athletic career had you dabbled in exogenous hormones.
I had a great time playing hockey and then being part of a great oil company that my dad started and giving me the life I have know is awesome. I had a friend do roids and hes paying for it now and I told him dont f***in do it but it's like talking to a wall.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I had a great time playing hockey and then being part of a great oil company that my dad started and giving me the life I have know is awesome. I had a friend do roids and hes paying for it now and I told him dont ****in do it but it's like talking to a wall.

sounds like your whole life is just story after story of how you were incapable of paving your own path instead y9u've depended on your generous father for supplying you with great genes and a great job. Sad. I had a friend do roids once. He is now a doctor giving free health care to under privilege families. Sounds like you don't have good taste in friends either. Sad

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Like Vlad, I’m just putting info out there. Not saying anyone needs to do anything. I’m not a trainer. Just my thoughts:

It doesn’t work as well. Caffeine will wake you up but that’s about it. There’s also a lot of caffeine at once in there and that’s not good for you. I workout at night sometimes so I don’t want the ones with caffeine. Intra/preworkout have branched chain amino acids which are the building blocks of proteins. The specific 3 in the preworkouts have been found to stop muscle breakdown during higher intensity workouts like running. You need to drink a lot of water. Like a gallon a day. Water is very important. If you are trying to build muscle I wouldn’t do much cardio at all. It’s going to work against you. Again just my thoughts. I have other supplements I take that are somewhat above the stuff typically taken. It’s all
Meant to help a little extra, extra few reps. You still have to go hard and push yourself...

I make my own preworkout drink. I use BCAA’s, creatine, beta alanine and citruline malate. Sometimes I will throw a caffeine tablet in there, too. I get them individually packaged from a company called TrueNutrition.com.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
sounds like your whole life is just story after story of how you were incapable of paving your own path instead y9u've depended on your generous father for supplying you with great genes and a great job. Sad. I had a friend do roids once. He is now a doctor giving free health care to under privilege families. Sounds like you don't have good taste in friends either. Sad
Earned my way dude from the bottom to the top. If I couldn't handle it my dad would have kicked me to the curb. Being big help in the oil buisness as it's a tough grind when you start out 15 hours days and even longer sometimes in minus 35 weather in shithle Alberta lol. The buisness side is tougher but the benefits is great but my bro and I paid our dues to get where we are as no handouts happen in this family.

Reactions: Hextallent63

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
My friend went overboard but he had a great life until he took it to far. What's with the smart assing jtown?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Someone else mentioned it here, but whatever works best for you is the way to go.

Personally I can’t bring myself to do the gym thing consistently, just find it too mundane.

It’s skating and skiing (downhill and cross) in winter. Kayaking/canoeing/hiking and sport pick up games for fun in the summer.

Reactions: Hextallent63

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
I've personally found that keeping it simple works best for me. I always start with an effective Starting Strength program or some variation of it with heavy, compound barbell lifts. After a while of making significant gains I outsmart myself and switch to a more advanced program like Westside or a split variation. After a few weeks, I over do it, start skipping workouts, start getting those pains in shoulders/knees/forearms and have to take time off, losing most of what I gained.

In my opinion, the best program/method is the one that you can physically and mentally sustain for long enough to make gradual long term gains without burning yourself out. For me that tends to be a three day Starting Strength modification.

I've been on Testosterone Replacement Therapy for the past year which has been a life changer for me. I highly recommend that anyone who suspects they have low-t levels, get themselves tested.

As far as pre-workout goes, I think what no one has mentioned yet is that there is a HUGE discrepancy between the junk products out there, and the products that actually have effective ingredients. Most products fall into the junk category. I've never been a huge fan of pre-workouts, because I honestly have always felt that putting that $40-$50 a month into high quality food gives me a better return. but again, that's just personal preference and if money is nt an issue for you, there are a few good pre-workouts out there.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I make my own preworkout drink. I use BCAA’s, creatine, beta alanine and citruline malate. Sometimes I will throw a caffeine tablet in there, too. I get them individually packaged from a company called TrueNutrition.com.

Wow that’s great. I’m going to check that out. I use evogen cell KEM

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017

I’m gonna have to spend some time there. That selection looks awesome

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Someone else mentioned it here, but whatever works best for you is the way to go.

Personally I can’t bring myself to do the gym thing consistently, just find it too mundane.

It’s skating and skiing (downhill and cross) in winter. Kayaking/canoeing/hiking and sport pick up games for fun in the summer.

My lone real workout, I try to get to the local rink on the weekends for some icetime and relive my high school hockey days in the same ancient skates. Frustrating though, two sessions per week, $8 a pop, and it's either an open sheet with four other people or six birthday parties and 100 elemntary school kids flopping all over the place. Can't really rev up the engine on those days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad