OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Considering trying Jim Stoppani’s shortcut to size 12 week program on bodybuilding.com. Has anyone tried one of those programs before?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Your wife must either be an angel or you two haven't met yet.

I'm in the same boat. I'm home about 17 days a month from work and skate on about 80% of those days. You definitely need a very understanding wife haha.

On top of all the skating I do a lot of stretching and mobility and core work. I used to be fairly consistent with going to the gym with my old job. But two years ago I got a new one and haven't developed a good rhythm yet. I am on the road and in hotels for about 14 nights a month. We usually only get 11 hours off and I thus far my hitting the little hotel gyms has all been in spurts.

I need to maybe dial back on the skating and start going to the gym more consistently at home home still doing the core/mobility stiff on the road... But hockey is much more fun.

Also how was this not titled "The Anti Menu" haha

Reactions: Grebinator

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I used to do P90, P90X and P90X2, but ended up tearing my groin and abdominal muscles doing yoga of all things. I'm an IT Field Technician now, so my workouts involve hauling UPS devices and batteries, servers, going up and down flights of stairs, crawling through various places, running cables, etc....

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I used to do P90, P90X and P90X2, but ended up tearing my groin and abdominal muscles doing yoga of all things. I'm an IT Field Technician now, so my workouts involve hauling UPS devices and batteries, servers, going up and down flights of stairs, crawling through various places, running cables, etc....

There was a YT popular extreme yoga instructor who f***ed up her hips somewhat recently. Kinda flies in the face of the whole body mindfulness thing to get an injury with yoga practice, but it happens!

Lugging all that equipment and crabbing cable around sounds like hell. You’re a champ for doing it.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
What kind of yoga were you doing? Wtf

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Considering trying Jim Stoppani’s shortcut to size 12 week program on bodybuilding.com. Has anyone tried one of those programs before?

I did do a Stoppani program in my younger days and it might have actually been that one, though I can’t say for sure. It was extremely high volume with a lot of what I consider fluff movements (lat raises, bice curls, cable work, etc). I would think it puts you in the gym for a lot of hours per week. Not something I’d do again mainly because I do barbell compound movements almost exclusively, and because I love being able to do everything on a power rack and pull up tower in my garage rather than machines in a gym. It is incredibly more convenient and more efficient to have a setup at home then have to go to a gym.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I like Jim Stoppani, but I have never looked at his programs. He knows his shit tho.

Look into Jeff Cavalier, from Athlean-X. I watch a lot of his free YouTube content and it’s great. If you are looking to pay for a program, I would look there first. He has a great background in working with high level athletes, many professionals.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I did do a Stoppani program in my younger days and it might have actually been that one, though I can’t say for sure. It was extremely high volume with a lot of what I consider fluff movements (lat raises, bice curls, cable work, etc). I would think it puts you in the gym for a lot of hours per week. Not something I’d do again mainly because I do barbell compound movements almost exclusively, and because I love being able to do everything on a power rack and pull up tower in my garage rather than machines in a gym. It is incredibly more convenient and more efficient to have a setup at home then have to go to a gym.

I agree it is a lot more convenient to work out at home rather than the gym. Luckily for me I live across the street from my gym.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

My dream is to set up a home gym in my garage with a rack, dumbbells, kettlebells, and cable tower. Titan fitness makes a cool rack where you can attach a pulley system to it and make a cable machine.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
My dream is to set up a home gym in my garage with a rack, dumbbells, kettlebells, and cable tower. Titan fitness makes a cool rack where you can attach a pulley system to it and make a cable machine.

I’m due for an equipment upgrade in the next year or so and it will more than likely come from Titan. Last I looked, they had full racks for $500ish. I never really priced their dumbbells or plates because I’m good with I have for quite some time, but their racks and benches are very affordable and customizable

Reactions: VladDrag

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I was doing a warrior pose and there was a spot of water on the gym floor that someone neglected to clean up and I didn't see it. I slipped on it and my right leg did a split. It was really bizarre. However I'm the king of freak injuries.
Ah okay that makes sense. I thought you meant whatever stretching you were doing caused it.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I built a pretty great home gym in my basement. Made a huge differnce to me as I can workout early or late and the time it would take me to travel to and back from my gym would be my entire workout. I got Marcy home gym on amazon. It’s a lot of money but cheap by fitness equipment standards. It has 3 pulleys and a smith rack. Comes with a bench you can do preacher curls on as well as leg extension and curls. Got a power tower. Bow flex select dumbbells save a lot of space. Bar bell. Cardio equipment. Took me a bit to put it together but it has already saved me a lot of money from not needing a gym membership.

Thanks for the Titan mention. I think I’ll get their barbell silencing pads.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
The home gym route has made a huge difference in my consistency. Especially having spent most of my career on 2nd and 3rd shifts

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Started the Jim Stoppani shortcut to size program I mentioned about a month ago, eating everything on the program has been a struggle so far, 9 meals a day.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I don't want to go down the bro science rabbid hole, but there's a reason why pros spend half their day sleeping.
I'm a firm believer in this. this link I'm going to post might not at first seem like it has anything to do with physical fitness but it kind of has everything to do with it.

The first time I listen to this and its entirety it really affected me and the more I thought about it the more it explained a lot to me about my current life compared to the life I used to live. the one thing that stuck with me is when the guy talked about not getting enough sleep is an epidemic that's never talked about

Reactions: Grebinator

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
40-50 hours of school per week on top of working full time and raising a kid and having to watch the Flyers has made exercise a struggle.

I know this is a Flyers forum, and you’re a mod. But if you are struggling for time and energy, the solution of what to cut out for a healthier life seems pretty obvious.

Stop raising your child. Just find some anthropomorfic woodland creature to do it. You’re welcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad