OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Got this idea from the Chicago forums when I was seeing if they had any news on Machado.

I thought it’d be helpful to incorporate on our forums for motivation and accountability for myself and maybe others to keep hitting the gym and striving to be healthy.

Reactions: Tripod

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Got a gym membership for the first time back at the beginning of December and was going Monday through Friday until the holidays. Saw some pretty decent gains (for myself at least.)

However, I just started a basketball team at my local Y and now all of my gym time has been focused on scrimmages and practicing with my team for the last two weeks. Have to get back in the weight room but I’m always so beat after the 2 hours we spend practicing. Anyone have any suggestions for increasing energy after practice? I’ve always heard about pre workout but I’d really rather not get into that stuff.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I love fitness in general. Most of my accounts I follow on IG are fitness based. I used to train specifically for sports (primarily rugby) and have been lucky to train with a fair amount of high performance strength and conditioning coaches.

@Grebinator I would suggest trying to get to the weight room before you play basketball. In order to get the full benefit from weight training your energy stores should be as high as possible. If not possible try going on a different date or early in the morning.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I love fitness in general. Most of my accounts I follow on IG are fitness based. I used to train specifically for sports (primarily rugby) and have been lucky to train with a fair amount of high performance strength and conditioning coaches.

@Grebinator I would suggest trying to get to the weight room before you play basketball. In order to get the full benefit from weight training your energy stores should be as high as possible. If not possible try going on a different date or early in the morning.
I’ll give that a shot again. In the beginning that’s what I was doing but it was so tough to play after doing shoulders lol

Reactions: VladDrag

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
Got a gym membership for the first time back at the beginning of December and was going Monday through Friday until the holidays. Saw some pretty decent gains (for myself at least.)

However, I just started a basketball team at my local Y and now all of my gym time has been focused on scrimmages and practicing with my team for the last two weeks. Have to get back in the weight room but I’m always so beat after the 2 hours we spend practicing. Anyone have any suggestions for increasing energy after practice? I’ve always heard about pre workout but I’d really rather not get into that stuff.

I used to be big into the pre-workouts until my former roomate (who was in school to be a doctor) told me that black coffee works just as well (for 1/50th the price). I've been drinking a cup of black coffee before the gym for years now.

Reactions: Grebinator

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
0011e4dbb7ed128eeac0965f59fb26eb--pens-hockey-ice-hockey.jpg

This is body of someone who worked out their entire life. What you see on Instagram are generally roided out people. Not that I blame them as its their livelyhood and they simply need to keep up with competition.

Played soccer growing up and I still do stuff I learned back then. When you see kids picking up hernias and groin injuries you sure as hell start taking stretching and those core exercises seriously. I don't do much else.

Reactions: Grebinator

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
I play hockey 4 or 5 days a week, and some high level competitive mens vball twice as well. No gym time for me (although I should, as I hit 40 all the injuries start to appear randomly).

Proper sleep and rest is key to energy I find, and second the coffee comment above. Sometimes I drink a hot chocolate (Wayne Train style) prior to hockey, or even a can of what you folks call "cola" down there lol. Anything to get the sugars up. A smoothie with fruit also seems to be a good alternative about an hour prior.

Life as a desk jockey hurts, the sports keep me in decent shape, but the gym is something I really should do as well for preventative purposes. When I did have a gym day in the rotation (about 2 years ago), it was H.I.T. circuit training using a TRX suspension trainer, jumping rope, wobble board, kettle bells and heavy ropes - great for strength, mobility, balance, etc. I was in solid shape with that one day a week in addition to the sports (diet was really clean also). If I start a proper "gym" routine, will base it on the TRX again for sure.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

I don't want to go down the bro science rabbid hole, but there's a reason why pros spend half their day sleeping.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I try to keep fit the simple way, eat healthy and I either take a long walk or a very long bike ride every day. I also walk my dog at least twice a day and I’ll try to hit the gym at least 2-3 times a month to keep my muscles toned.

I probably should drink less whiskey, but that ain’t gonna happen.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I play hockey 4 or 5 days a week, and some high level competitive mens vball twice as well. No gym time for me (although I should, as I hit 40 all the injuries start to appear randomly).

Proper sleep and rest is key to energy I find, and second the coffee comment above. Sometimes I drink a hot chocolate (Wayne Train style) prior to hockey, or even a can of what you folks call "cola" down there lol. Anything to get the sugars up. A smoothie with fruit also seems to be a good alternative about an hour prior.

Life as a desk jockey hurts, the sports keep me in decent shape, but the gym is something I really should do as well for preventative purposes. When I did have a gym day in the rotation (about 2 years ago), it was H.I.T. circuit training using a TRX suspension trainer, jumping rope, wobble board, kettle bells and heavy ropes - great for strength, mobility, balance, etc. I was in solid shape with that one day a week in addition to the sports (diet was really clean also). If I start a proper "gym" routine, will base it on the TRX again for sure.
Your wife must either be an angel or you two haven't met yet.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I lift after work for 30-40 minutes and do cardio during the week, usually during Sixers and Flyers games, which is about 2+ hours. I started that during the Hakstok era so I felt better about wasting my time watching the games. Usually do sprint interval stuff with core mixed in when my legs need a break. On the weekends I usually get out and run long distance or sprints. And when the weather is nice I like to jump rope and do agility ladder drills. Seems like a lot but my metabolism blows, so I don’t really lose weight anymore (I lost 25 pounds in the last year) I just maintain it. I pretty much reached my realistic weight floor.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I lift almost every day. With young kids I usually have to get up early to workout. Around 430 am. That’s the best way to do it. You can’t lift after a long day but you can practice or in my case take the kids swimming, sledding etc. just drink lots of coffee! I would 100% get a good meal plan for your goals. It’s pretty easy to calculate by finding stuff online.

Find your BMR. Have a surplus in calories for gains if your too thin or a deficit to cut body fat. Figure out the protein you need first then the fats and then fill the rest with carbs. Lean protein, healthy fats, complex carbs. 1-2 cheat meals a week.

I used to lift without a real meal plan but when I was waking up early and sacrificing more I wanted every rep to count so I got with a remote personal trainer whose been awesome. Also with you training so much I’d look into BCAAs to help retain muscle.

0011e4dbb7ed128eeac0965f59fb26eb--pens-hockey-ice-hockey.jpg

This is body of someone who worked out their entire life. What you see on Instagram are generally roided out people. Not that I blame them as its their livelyhood and they simply need to keep up with competition.

Played soccer growing up and I still do stuff I learned back then. When you see kids picking up hernias and groin injuries you sure as hell start taking stretching and those core exercises seriously. I don't do much else.

Yea core stuff is very important.

And Jagr could be more built or cut if he ate that way. You don’t need to be on steroid to be ripped. Just takes longer and is harder. All about diet!

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I lift after work for 30-40 minutes and do cardio during the week, usually during Sixers and Flyers games, which is about 2+ hours. I started that during the Hakstok era so I felt better about wasting my time watching the games. Usually do sprint interval stuff with core mixed in when my legs need a break. On the weekends I usually get out and run long distance or sprints. And when the weather is nice I like to jump rope and do agility ladder drills. Seems like a lot but my metabolism blows, so I don’t really lose weight anymore (I lost 25 pounds in the last year) I just maintain it. I pretty much reached my realistic weight floor.
Haha I started lifting during Hakstol games as well.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I do a lot of running when the weather allows, which keeps my BMI at about 23-24. I have my second half marathon coming up at the end of April, so I need to start getting back up to doing 10 mile long runs. I also have a gym near me, but I find running on the treadmill much harder and much less fun than running outside. I started doing weights a couple of times a week with a trainer a year ago, but the numbers aren't too impressive because I had never lifted before then. I also play soccer and ball hockey.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I still need to get to the YMCA that is right next door to me and get a membership. But this f***ing knee... I need to re-schedule my appointment to get my knee looked at. Been swelled and sore for over a month and a half.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
If you're into cycling (or running) and you're looking for a way to make your indoor workouts more interesting:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad