OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Big weekend of training this weekend.

80 mile ride tomorrow, 120 miles Sunday, and 100-120 more on Sunday depending if and how much it rains.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Big weekend of training this weekend.

80 mile ride tomorrow, 120 miles Sunday, and 100-120 more on Sunday depending if and how much it rains.

You’re a machine dude, how long does a 100 mile ride take?

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Been working out again for last two weeks after returning from 2 week illness, took this time to reset my squat and deadlift.

I also ditched the workout gloves and now I'm doing chalk. Transition has gone well, calluses have set in and pain is minimal.

Weight 189lbs
Bench 240
OHP 110
Squat 165 (deloaded 40)
Deads 180 (deloaded 60)
Chin Ups +2.5lbs
Row 140lbs

My form was absolutely trash on squats and deadlifts so deloaded quite a bit to work my way up quickly. I was breaking at my knees, not at my hips on squats so it fried my knees and back. Pretty significant set back but I am not sacrificing form for ego. Mid foot, mid foot, mid foot!

I had pain in my elbow that crushed my curls and chin ups so I discontinue to no prevail. I bought this Flexbar and starting doing Taylor Twists for "tennis elbow". About 3 weeks in and pain has reduced a ton.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Been working out again for last two weeks after returning from 2 week illness, took this time to reset my squat and deadlift.

I also ditched the workout gloves and now I'm doing chalk. Transition has gone well, calluses have set in and pain is minimal.

Weight 189lbs
Bench 240
OHP 110
Squat 165 (deloaded 40)
Deads 180 (deloaded 60)
Chin Ups +2.5lbs
Row 140lbs

My form was absolutely trash on squats and deadlifts so deloaded quite a bit to work my way up quickly. I was breaking at my knees, not at my hips on squats so it fried my knees and back. Pretty significant set back but I am not sacrificing form for ego. Mid foot, mid foot, mid foot!

I had pain in my elbow that crushed my curls and chin ups so I discontinue to no prevail. I bought this Flexbar and starting doing Taylor Twists for "tennis elbow". About 3 weeks in and pain has reduced a ton.
Something is up with your lower body lifts no doubt, you should be able to lift way more than you currently are, even accounting for the deadload amounts.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Spotify disabled my account at like 5:10 this AM right as I was leaving to go to the gym. My workout sucked, I don't know how people lift in silence

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
This was my thought as well.
Something is up with your lower body lifts no doubt, you should be able to lift way more than you currently are, even accounting for the deadload amounts.

Oh I know. It drives me crazy how bad I am at Squats and Deadlifts.

A few things I thought might be causing my terrible lifts:

1. Sick - I had a really really bad sickness like bronchitis mixed with flu and I could not beat it for 10-14 days. I didn't work out at all, before this I was steadily climbing.
2. Gloves - adding extra thickness when I grip the bar, probably not best for my grip strength.
3. Breaking at the knees, not sitting my butt back - my knees were getting overworked.
4. Trying to set up BEFORE grabbing the bar on deadlift

My form was really bad, I was experiencing patellofemoral pain, now that I am sitting back while squatting AND focusing on keeping bar over mid foot, I feel a lot less pressure on my knees.

Great step by step. I am using something similar by Mark Rippetoe.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Oh I know. It drives me crazy how bad I am at Squats and Deadlifts.

A few things I thought might be causing my terrible lifts:

1. Sick - I had a really really bad sickness like bronchitis mixed with flu and I could not beat it for 10-14 days. I didn't work out at all, before this I was steadily climbing.
2. Gloves - adding extra thickness when I grip the bar, probably not best for my grip strength.
3. Breaking at the knees, not sitting my butt back - my knees were getting overworked.
4. Trying to set up BEFORE grabbing the bar on deadlift

My form was really bad, I was experiencing patellofemoral pain, now that I am sitting back while squatting AND focusing on keeping bar over mid foot, I feel a lot less pressure on my knees.

Great step by step. I am using something similar by Mark Rippetoe.
Yeah I've never worn lifting gloves, I'm sure they reduce your grip strength but also because my college rugby team members would've made fun of me endlessly. Good thing you ditched them.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I know I should be doing squats and deadlifts for general strength, I can just never find the motivation. I was always bad at it in high school and I'm going to start off at such a low/beginner weight that and work all the way up to wear my other lift strengths are.

I have muscle and definition in my legs but I'm convinced it's mostly residual form baseball, hockey, and biking. Plus whatever I get from the elliptical nowadays. I get sore just doing 10 squats without any bar or weight. Paaaaathetic

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I know I should be doing squats and deadlifts for general strength, I can just never find the motivation. I was always bad at it in high school and I'm going to start off at such a low/beginner weight that and work all the way up to wear my other lift strengths are.

I have muscle and definition in my legs but I'm convinced it's mostly residual form baseball, hockey, and biking. Plus whatever I get from the elliptical nowadays. I get sore just doing 10 squats without any bar or weight. Paaaaathetic

Not going to lie, it’s going to really suck at first, especially squats. Your squat number will go up fast though if you played hockey. Your legs will remember. Would recommend an over/under grip for your deadlifts since you probably will struggle with grip strength

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
At one point I used to bench 305. As I’ve gotten older I focus much more on the cardio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad