OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Unless you are a body builder, they are kind of a waste of time. Most back exercise you do is going to work your biceps. And the people doing them the most are probably the people that need to be doing them the least. Also its not just people doing curls, its like its an entire day for them. They're doing 3 or 4 variations of curls and doing 3-5 sets of each.

Ah, I see. I will be honest, I honestly don't care how "strong" I am, as long as I get to a body that I like to look at for myself. I care more about general health, and then getting a body that I'm not embarrassed by when I go to the beach.

My routine, and excuse my terminology as I'm a total noob, is pretty much full body workout every day, then cardio to end the night. I'll do something like: bicep curls, side lifts with free weights (not sure what these are called), pull ups, flys, backwards flys, rows, leg press, ab crunch, pull down, chest press, leg curls. 3 sets of each, at a weight that I can do around 5-10 before having to stop because I can't lift heavier.

I'm 5'7", 162.3 as of this morning. I have a small build though, and am trying to get the tone throughout my upper body (and obviously legs that fit the toned body size). I still have "man boobs" and a gut though that I'm working on. Started around 175 pounds at my heaviest a couple months ago.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Ah, I see. I will be honest, I honestly don't care how "strong" I am, as long as I get to a body that I like to look at for myself. I care more about general health, and then getting a body that I'm not embarrassed by when I go to the beach.

My routine, and excuse my terminology as I'm a total noob, is pretty much full body workout every day, then cardio to end the night. I'll do something like: bicep curls, side lifts with free weights (not sure what these are called), pull ups, flys, backwards flys, rows, leg press, ab crunch, pull down, chest press, leg curls. 3 sets of each, at a weight that I can do around 5-10 before having to stop because I can't lift heavier.

I'm 5'7", 162.3 as of this morning. I have a small build though, and am trying to get the tone throughout my upper body (and obviously legs that fit the toned body size). I still have "man boobs" and a gut though that I'm working on. Started around 175 pounds at my heaviest a couple months ago.

Too much volume.

Think LOAD, REST, FUEL

Good luck and honestly most of us started off to look good, for the chicks ya know!

Reactions: TorMenT

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
First weekend on the mountain bike, going down a mountain.... hit the brakes because of a real rocky section I see but too late and fly right over my handlebars when I hit a big rock.

No injuries, just a bruised ego since 6-7 people witnessed it.

But man... what a blast and adrenaline rush they was. So much damn fun. The weather was incredible.

X1QKsaP_d.jpg
It does look nice. I live in Idaho and there are 315 miles of trails with a trail-head in my town. I can ride (if I had the oomph) 70+ miles in a contiguous path to Utah if I want (or take loops till I drop).

Mountain biking is a blast. Been doing it for years and, oddly, most all of my biggest spills were when the path was fairly easy --- seems the tough trails I keep focus and do fine --- relax and I am eating dirt.

Enjoy the rides!

Reactions: RayP

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Too much volume.

Think LOAD, REST, FUEL

Good luck and honestly most of us started off to look good, for the chicks ya know!

I did a lot of reading, and it sounds like you can manage to do full body workouts instead of segmenting things like "leg day", etc. You can do it early on because your building muscle so fast, but as you get stronger you can no longer build muscle as fast so you need more rest time.

I'm on a 1900 calorie "diet" right now. Trying to limit carbs for the most part, but if I stay under calories I'm not too strict on myself. Just a way to have a diet you can actually live with without changing your life TOO much. I'm pretty much working out like M-W, Th off, Fri-Sat, Sun off. If I work out, I'll allow myself 2200 calories instead of 1900.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I did a lot of reading, and it sounds like you can manage to do full body workouts instead of segmenting things like "leg day", etc. You can do it early on because your building muscle so fast, but as you get stronger you can no longer build muscle as fast so you need more rest time.

I'm on a 1900 calorie "diet" right now. Trying to limit carbs for the most part, but if I stay under calories I'm not too strict on myself. Just a way to have a diet you can actually live with without changing your life TOO much. I'm pretty much working out like M-W, Th off, Fri-Sat, Sun off. If I work out, I'll allow myself 2200 calories instead of 1900.

Nothing wrong with a full body workout he’s just saying you are doing too many lifts.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Nothing wrong with a full body workout, much better than a split program for your purposes. Not too many lifts either. Your body needs to rest and recover is all I'm saying. There is significant data that states less is more when it comes to weight training.

Did I follow that for 46 years? Nah, but I'm learning everyday.

Keep pumping.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Nothing wrong with a full body workout, much better than a split program for your purposes. Not too many lifts either. Your body needs to rest and recover is all I'm saying. There is significant data that states less is more when it comes to weight training.

Did I follow that for 46 years? Nah, but I'm learning everyday.

Keep pumping.

If you’re telling him from going from a routine where he’s doing 11 different lifts to 6, I think you’d agree he’s doing too many lifts

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
If you’re telling him from going from a routine where he’s doing 11 different lifts to 6, I think you’d agree he’s doing too many lifts

I don't think it's too many but that program would be better for him.

Press behind the neck dangerous? Meh. If one thinks so, there are plenty of substitutes available.

The idea is to use compound movements instead of isolation exercises.

I also note that a ridiculous number of trainees do not do squats.

IF YOU WANT TO GROW, YOU NEED TO SQUAT. PERIOD

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I don't think it's too many but that program would be better for him.

Press behind the neck dangerous? Meh. If one thinks so, there are plenty of substitutes available.

The idea is to use compound movements instead of isolation exercises.

I also note that a ridiculous number of trainees do not do squats.

IF YOU WANT TO GROW, YOU NEED TO SQUAT. PERIOD

Right he could just do it in front of his face. Less risk for a beginner

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That trail look amazing.

Not even one of the nicer stretches, just easy to stop and take a pic there and no lose too much momentum or be stuck going uphill to get going again.

But yeah, it’s awesome.

It does look nice. I live in Idaho and there are 315 miles of trails with a trail-head in my town. I can ride (if I had the oomph) 70+ miles in a contiguous path to Utah if I want (or take loops till I drop).

Mountain biking is a blast. Been doing it for years and, oddly, most all of my biggest spills were when the path was fairly easy --- seems the tough trails I keep focus and do fine --- relax and I am eating dirt.

Enjoy the rides!

What kind of bike you riding on?

And yeah was probably the easiest stretch of the day. Just stopped paying attention, didn’t drop my post, and whooooops.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I have owned Kona hardtails before and a Gary Fisher tassahara. then a Gary Fisher Cake3 dual suspension bike. Liked them all. But even at nearing 60 years old i like a hardtail better than a dual suspension (at least better than a cheap dual suspension bike like the Cake 3). So, now i ride a Specialized Rockhopper comp 29er. It is a cheap bike, really, at $900 --- but it is awesome.

Having ridden now for as long as I have (13 years) on multiple bikes, I contend that the geometry of the bike --- that is the fit to your body --- is the key thing that dictates what bike is best for you. All the top brands make nice bikes --- so it is a matter of what fits best for you.

I tend to like hardtails in general because of low weight and easier to climb. that said, i know that some of the dual suspension bikes are light too --- if you are willing to pay 3K for it. So, i ride the cheap way!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I have owned Kona hardtails before and a Gary Fisher tassahara. then a Gary Fisher Cake3 dual suspension bike. Liked them all. But even at nearing 60 years old i like a hardtail better than a dual suspension (at least better than a cheap dual suspension bike like the Cake 3). So, now i ride a Specialized Rockhopper comp 29er. It is a cheap bike, really, at $900 --- but it is awesome.

Having ridden now for as long as I have (13 years) on multiple bikes, I contend that the geometry of the bike --- that is the fit to your body --- is the key thing that dictates what bike is best for you. All the top brands make nice bikes --- so it is a matter of what fits best for you.

I tend to like hardtails in general because of low weight and easier to climb. that said, i know that some of the dual suspension bikes are light too --- if you are willing to pay 3K for it. So, i ride the cheap way!

I’m an admitted Giant fanboy. Their bikes just seem to fit me better than any other brand. So I wanted to go as cheap as I could on a bike that didn’t require any immediate upgrades. Maybe a few years down the road I’ll look into full suspension for now it’s just not necessary as I get into this new hobby.

Mine is a 27.5.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I’m an admitted Giant fanboy. Their bikes just seem to fit me better than any other brand. So I wanted to go as cheap as I could on a bike that didn’t require any immediate upgrades. Maybe a few years down the road I’ll look into full suspension for now it’s just not necessary as I get into this new hobby.

Mine is a 27.5.
Nice. Giant makes great bikes. If it fits and you have fun with it --- there may not be any "need" for an upgrade ever. Bikes last along time so long as trees and boulders stay out of the way.

happy trails.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Anyone ever try a mini rebounder? I’m thinking about it for rain days. Seems awkward, but nasa is a big fan I just read.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I don’t know what you are talking about
It’s a trampoline essentially but not for jumping. There are high intensity workouts for them and balance/stabilization workouts. That’s all I know so far. Supposedly they are extremely effective and easy on your back and joints.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Anyone ever try a mini rebounder? I’m thinking about it for rain days. Seems awkward, but nasa is a big fan I just read.

I had to google that... would have never guessed in a million years that’s what those are called. :laugh:

I mean I’m sure it’d be a great cardio workout.... but horribly boring.

Just saw your other post, so maybe disregard above, didn’t realize it was different that just a regular mini trampoline and am not sure what the differences exactly are.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
We have one. They are awesome! Gives every cell in your body the opportunity to be suspended in mid air with each jump and than to be bounced which stimulates all sorts of good stuff which is a very healthy thing cellularly speaking!

Reactions: Crow

Crow

May 19, 2014
I had to google that... would have never guessed in a million years that’s what those are called. :laugh:

I mean I’m sure it’d be a great cardio workout.... but horribly boring.

Just saw your other post, so maybe disregard above, didn’t realize it was different that just a regular mini trampoline and am not sure what the differences exactly are.
I don’t even know what the difference is. Might just be a marketing thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad